PDA

View Full Version : Lift the rear only for exhaust install?

icegrill
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I've finally got time to install my t1r b pipe and H&R sway on Sunday. I'm just wondering if there is enough room to get to the cat bolts without lifting the front of the car? I'm going to use my work's pneumatic tools so that should save some time. Any other tips would be very appreciated. Thanks Dave

fsugatorbait
02-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
I've finally got time to install my t1r b pipe and H&R sway on Sunday. I'm just wondering if there is enough room to get to the cat bolts without lifting the front of the car? I'm going to use my work's pneumatic tools so that should save some time. Any other tips would be very appreciated. Thanks Dave

It depends on how high you can get the rear of the car. Personally, i just jack up the right side of the car to work on the exhaust.

Peking
02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
It depends on how high you can get the rear of the car. Personally, i just jack up the right side of the car to work on the exhaust.

I agree seemed to be the best way to access that part of the car.

icegrill
02-27-2004, 02:36 PM

Where do you put the stands when you lift the car from the jacking points? Please explain a little more, thanks alot

fsugatorbait
02-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
Where do you put the stands when you lift the car from the jacking points? Please explain a little more, thanks alot

I use the tow hook in the rear and there is a fairly small spot underneath the car in the front that you can jack from. HTH.

shimmy_yaz
02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
When I installed my catback exhaust I just lifted the rear and had no trouble. One very important thing to do is spray some WD-40 or something of that sort on all the bolts before trying to remove them. Bolts on ehaust parts have a bad habit of seizing together rather quick and when you try and force them loose you end up stripping them or snapping them off. In addition this will make the process alot easier and less aggravating for you.

Siman
02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
yes. definantly use WD-40 and let is soak before taking off the bolts!!!:confused:

oogy-boogy
02-27-2004, 06:07 PM

Yup....same here. I jack her up in the front and put the jack stand on the drivers side behind the wheel well (jack point). Then, there's an extremely beefy part of the frame by the rear suspension....That's where jackstand 2 goes 4 me.

I usually grab some cardboard and put on an old football jersey so I can slide easlily.

Grab a torch, some PB lube and a Power bar for the cat bolts....:D

Oh, my bad....you have air tools! I'm jealous.....:D