PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked the EP

civ02si
02-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Today i was driving to work like 5:15 in the morning on the 215 south when going 75mph when i notice a what look like to be about a 6inch piece of scrap metal and swerved out of the way and when i came back i must of hit some sand or something cause the car lost control and i slamed into the center divider doing arond 70mph. Hit with the front end of the car at about 30 degree angle then the rest of the car hit the center divider. All said and done the left side of the car needs to be completly replaced along with both bumbers. Oh and i have a question why did the passenger airbag go off but not the drivers. You think it would when doing 70mph.

LI03SI
02-27-2004, 06:26 PM
because there is no fucking sensor tat detects if anyones sitting there, you had your seatbelt on im assuming... there was no buckle in the passengers

dc1972
02-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Dang man sorry to hear that......Hope you're ok

civ02si
02-27-2004, 06:45 PM
yeah i was wearing my seat belt it was only me in the car. So why would the seat no one is sitting in have its airbag go off and not mine in a crash at 70mph. Im fine, Thank You body just a little sore.

shimmy_yaz
02-27-2004, 07:10 PM
My guess would be that the airbags have seperate sensors and since the impact was totally on the passenger side only that sensor was tripped. I am not sure just kinda venturing a guess. I would think that no matter what the drivers side would go off since there has to be someone in that seat, kind weird.

LI03SI
02-27-2004, 07:18 PM
The airbag sensor is in the seatbelt clip... If the accident was harder, his airbag wuld have gone off.

THe computer thought there was people in the passenger seat not wearing their seatbelt so it blew the airbag.

I hit a wall last summer at about 20mph wearing my seatbelt and the passenger one blew fr no reason... really shitty system i guess.

Whiteboy
02-27-2004, 10:23 PM
The airbag sensor is in the seatbelt clip

Is this for just our car? Or most cars these days?

Last I saw, or at least when I took driver's ed I was taught the sensors were somewhere behind the bumper, and if the front of the car was pushed in far enough they went off.

Tenacious G
02-27-2004, 11:13 PM
there are multiple sensors now. in addition to the bumper sensors, some high-end cars can detect the weight of the occupant in the seat to determine if it's a smaller/lighter person, and the air bag will deploy at a softer rate to help avoid injury to a small child or person.

interesting that the driver's side air bag didn't deploy. as a "supplemental restraint system" if the impact was severe enough to deploy the passenger side, it should have deployed the driver's side as well, regardless of whether or not the seatbelt was used.

civ02si
02-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey what do you mean the impact was on the passenger side it was all on the drivers side. I slammed into the center divider off a freeway doing 70mph how much more of an impact do you need for a fucking airbag to go off.

oldschoolimport
02-28-2004, 02:55 AM
I smell a frivilous lawsuit. it may be a manufacturing problem. talk to a lawyer. :D

STP03BlueSI
02-28-2004, 06:51 AM
Most cars have multi sensors. I know workin with Saturn the Ions have like 3-5 sensors, and 2 of them are located with the seat belts(1 in each).

siver-SI
02-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Just wondering can you get any pics? For some reason I always like to see how are EP's do in a crash.

civ02si
02-28-2004, 03:50 PM
ya i will put picks up i think the car did good for being in a car crash that was so fast.

Graywolf
02-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah, my airbags didnt go off when I crashed either, i hit a fench, and some steele poles, and some big ass rocks, and a small mountain. Destroyed the sensor, but airbags didnt deploy...that doesnt make any sense does it?