PDA

View Full Version : SANDPAPER help

TrippZ
02-28-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm working on my rims right now cleaning them and stuff getting them prepped to paint, but i need to nkow, what kind of sandpaper am i supposed to use? I have 150 and 250 grit and they say "Very fine" on them, but someone once told me to get 1,300 grit... should i go out and search for a huge grit # like that? or would my 250 or 150 grit work? thanks

oh, and, what exactly does grit mean? does a higher number mean a more abrasive surface?

thanks again :P

02SilverSiHB
02-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I have noooo idea man, sorry :(

02SilverSiHB
02-28-2004, 12:47 PM
here we go...seems like the closer you get to 1000 the better, oldschoolimport did it
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21967&highlight=paint

This guy jose did it also:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21904
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22181&perpage=15&highlight=paint%20rims&pagenumber=4

Here's his instructions
1.clean the wheels and tires.
2.scuff the wheels or sand.
3.clean the rims with rubbing alcohol
4.if the metal is cold heat with a heat gun.
5.spray filler primer heavy.
6.bake the primer with the heat gun.
7.spray the wheels the color u want from left
to right from top to bottom lightly, don't let
it dry, put on another coat, etc.
8.when ur done with ur coats bake it with ur heat gun.
9.when dry , sand down with 1300 sand paper, and buff it out
and u have perfect painted stockies.
need more help just hit me up.

TrippZ
02-28-2004, 12:56 PM
hey thanks!!! :D

do you know what the difference is between wet and dry sanding?

DynaSpeed
02-28-2004, 12:57 PM
oh, and, what exactly does grit mean?

It means the lower the number, the more abrasive it is.

bryan
02-28-2004, 04:12 PM
the number is the amount of grit per square inch so a higher number is a finer finish, 250 is very fine for wood but if you want a really smooth finish you should work up to as high a grit as you can find. i have found 2000 at walmart in the auto paint section. you can get higher stuff like 2500 or 3000 at body shops usually. just work your way up to your highest number then use a buffing compound or buffing cloth if you want a finer finish. the paint will have a much harsher surface than you want so follow step 9 in 02silver's post but you might need to start with a lower grit like 400 or 600 to get the paint smoothed out(you will want several coats), sanding with the really high grit stuff really isnt necessary before painting because you will have to sand it after you paint. if you dont buff it then the paint will have a mat surface but some wax or something will make it shiny and get rid of the scratch marks from sanding. and just so you know, my experience with car paint is from painting plaster models. i use car paint for them and can get the paint to a mirror finish with sand paper and buffing compounds so i dont see why it wouldnt work on your wheels. good luck!

bryan
02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
hey thanks!!! :D

do you know what the difference is between wet and dry sanding?

dry sanding is sanding without a lucricant. wet sanding uses water to lubricate the contact between the paper and surface and gives a much smoother finish. you will want to wet sand, just spray some water on the surface and on your paper or keep water running over the area you are sanding while working. make sure you have wet/dry paper, it is usually black.

TrippZ
02-28-2004, 04:42 PM
i decided to just go with 600 grit, 1000 felt like paper to me...

on another note, my first attempt at painting my wheels failed miserably... i bent and completely destroyed the stock honda wheel thingy... you know, the piece of metal thats kinda gold colored that you use to get your lugs off..

yeah.. i am quite angry. this has been a horrible weekend.

kidXStreme
02-28-2004, 06:05 PM
After you use the 600 i think you should go back to the 1000 wet sand to make a more smoother finish... just my 2 cents

Slip_Angle
02-28-2004, 09:52 PM
I just used 400 on all of my wheels.. Won't the lower grit help the primer stick better? Also, with a couple coats of primer, a couple of paint and a couple of clear coat I would think any scratches from a courser paper would be gone..

No paint expert here...

oldschoolimport
02-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by CDN-SiR-02
I just used 400 on all of my wheels.. Won't the lower grit help the primer stick better? Also, with a couple coats of primer, a couple of paint and a couple of clear coat I would think any scratches from a courser paper would be gone.. maybe, maybe not. it is better to get all the deep scratches out before you paint, than to realize after you have 6 coats on that the scratches are still showing. and as long as the surface is not shiny, the new primer and paint will stick. it does not need to be all cut up for the paint to stay on. good luck.

TheMutt
02-29-2004, 09:56 AM
High high grit is good for wheels because you wont be able to buff most of it, so you want a coat that is already going to look really smooth anyways. Lower grits lik 120 and below will leave a coarse surface while higher grits will not.

Be sure to sand after you prime it!!!! I saw that was missing fromt the list that guy posted. Always sand your primer with whatever your highest number paper. That's just basic paint prep.

TrippZ
02-29-2004, 12:09 PM
haha i know this is gonna seem kinda off topic but does anyone know where i can get another tool to loosen my lug nuts? i fucked mine up pretty good. let me know :p thanks guys :D

Chinaboy
02-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by kidXStreme
After you use the 600 i think you should go back to the 1000 wet sand to make a more smoother finish... just my 2 cents

very much agreed right here... but I would sneek in a 800 to keep it consistant... sanding is the most important step in setting up a good base... then primer, sand primer and then bake... then paint

oldschoolimport
02-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Trippz, clean out your damn inbox.:rolleyes: