PDA

View Full Version : Getting some new tires...

audomatik
02-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I've decided to get some new tires on my stock wheels. I'm ordering a set of Falken Ziex tires... 205/15/60. Its gonna be about $236 from DiscountTireDirect.com. I'm excited cause they're gonna handle a lot better than our gay ass Michelins. I'm glad those tires went to shit, gave me a reason to upgrade.

Black 02 SI
02-28-2004, 04:53 PM
wow, how are you fitting 60'' rims on your car, must have a crazy lift kit :) "205/15/60" just kidding we know what ya mean.

audomatik
02-28-2004, 05:43 PM
who brought the funny guy? haha just playin... sorry i typed it in wrong. but you guys get my point...

audomatik
02-28-2004, 05:53 PM
whats the widest tire I could go on the factory wheels without rubbing. i have a set of tein s tech springs... I was wondering if anyone had any problems rubbing with 215s. I'd like to get Azenis but they dont make them in 60 series. Would 55 look to wierd on the s techs? Thanks in advance

audomatik
02-29-2004, 10:24 PM
bump... because i wanna know

prracer617
03-02-2004, 12:08 AM
i got a question im planning on getting 18" zigen rims and was wondering what would be the thickess tire i could put on it without rubbing ..i live in boston and the pot hole over here are like 3 feet deep horrible!!!! what would be the fattest tire i could put or should i just go with 17's and if i did go with 17's what would be the tire fo that one ??

Yoda~SI
03-02-2004, 05:49 AM
I would Definitly Stay with the stock Diamiter, 205/55/15 Instead of 205/60/15. I tried 205/55/16 Instead of 205/50/16 On my car with Rota circuit 8's, It looked cool But it killed my low end gearing my car felt slow and sluggish, I completely lost any low end benifits I got from my Hondata. It is not worth It

Just my .02

prracer617
03-02-2004, 06:07 AM
yea but im not really trying to get me car to fly either ..i already learned my lesson with the racing ....gotto many tickets so im jsut tryingto give it a nice clean jdm look thats it ...in the future i plan to swapp but now i just want a jdm look ....

s10blazed
03-02-2004, 07:42 AM
You think those budget Falken Ziex tires are going to be better than the "gay ass michelins"? I hope you like being disappointed. During college I busted tires and one thing I learned is that you get what you pay for. The reason those tires are $236 is because they're "economy performance" tires. Basically a nice way to say its a shitty tire with a performance-like tread design. The Falken's you are talking about in particular ARE SOFT AS HELL. Good for stickin to the road but only for about 5k miles. They also smell funny. (just something I noticed while working with them) They're not terrible tires but realize they are only worth $236 and thats all they'll last for. One thing to realize about any "gay ass michelin" is that its a superior tire. It's not a clamshell press like most tires. I forget the term for how they're made but they're made in series with the tread. Not like clamshell where 2 sides of the tire are molded over the steel belts. In general Michelin is a superior tire. But you pay for it... I had a set of Michelin Pilots on my pickup (215/45/17) that lasted so far about 30k miles with about 15k more to go. AND I DRIVE WITH MY CAMBER ABOUT 4 DEGREES OUT! Kept them rotated (even flipped them over on the rims once) and they are wearing out great. I recommend them. One company in particular I DO NOT recommend is Yokohama. At least not their Avid series. I had 235/45/17s on my blazer for about a month. They wore so terribly uneven I could never keep them balanced. I swapped to a cheap ass tire for my stock 15s for winter and it was smooth sailing.

I'm not tryin to bust your balls. Just tryin to inform and educate.

audomatik
03-02-2004, 04:58 PM
so you're saying our stock tires are good? i beg to differ. i'd love to get some pilots but money is an issue. thanks for the input on both of the tires. i'm glad i found out now before i made the mistake of purchasing them. i'll probably just go back to firestone firehawks, i had those on my old prelude and they were just great. awesome tread and lasted me a good 25k miles.

s10blazed
03-02-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm not familiar with the particular Michelins that came oem on the Si's but from my experience I've seen Michelin's in general outlast most other tires. They may be expensive off the bat but the price/wear ratio tends to be great. I'm not too familiar with the Firehawks, the only time I saw those was special order. Even then I didn't see the return after they wore out. The Falkens you chose are a good value, just don't expect them to be top performers (and definitely way under par to the oem Michelins I will venture to guess...). Remember, they are an economy tire designed to look like a performance tire.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by audomatik
so you're saying our stock tires are good? i beg to differ. i'd love to get some pilots but money is an issue. thanks for the input on both of the tires. i'm glad i found out now before i made the mistake of purchasing them. i'll probably just go back to firestone firehawks, i had those on my old prelude and they were just great. awesome tread and lasted me a good 25k miles.

The Firehawks are a surprizingly good tire - awesome in the rain also. :D

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 05:31 PM
whats the widest tire I could go on the factory wheels without rubbing. i have a set of tein s tech springs... I was wondering if anyone had any problems rubbing with 215s. I'd like to get Azenis but they dont make them in 60 series. Would 55 look to wierd on the s techs? Thanks in advance

Go with the 225/50/15's. That would be a great tire for performance. Take a look at the Dunlop SP8000's - they are an amazing tire for the money. I really don't understand why anyone would buy a '60' series after market tire. You will be disappointed in the long run. Definitely go low profile!:D

prracer617
03-02-2004, 07:08 PM
ok how did we get off the point of me asking what a good tire size for a 17???

s10blazed
03-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by prracer617
ok how did we get off the point of me asking what a good tire size for a 17???
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess because it's not your thread.

audomatik
03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by s10blazed
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess because it's not your thread.

Exactly... trying to jack my thread. So yeah, I'm gonna go with Firestone Firehawks sized 205/60/15. Going tomorrow to go get them.

s10blazed
03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
I'm gonna go with Firestone Firehawks sized 205/60/15.

Cool, let me know how they work out. Like I said I'm not very familiar with their wear patterns.