PDA

View Full Version : First handwash...some observations...

Rwecked
02-29-2004, 06:28 AM
I bought is just as it was getting cold so I haven't had a chance to give it a good ol' handwash up until yesterday. It's just been a few automated carwashes to keep the salt from building up.

Here are some of my observations:

1. That grill holds a bit of water. I opened my hood after I was done to wipe down a few things and when I went to drop the hood, the grill puked all over the bumper. Go back and grab the "shammy".

2. The rear windows also hold a but a water. They "bleed" for a while, dripping water down the side for what seems like forever. Grab the "shammy" and try to soak up as much as possible.

3. The hatch also hides its fair share of dirt and water. Definitly have to open her up to clean and dry in there.

4. I have the HFP aka GFX kit and getting to those exhaust tips to poilsh them up is tight.

5. The "weather stripping" Honda uses for the kit is very good. It comes out really clean. I was afraid it would pick up a few stains but it came out squeaky.

6. The interior was no more challenging to clean than other cars I've done. I did notice that the driver's side mat does not provide enough protection for the carpeting. There was a nice salty patch under the gas pedals that I had to work out.

7. I also have the faux carbon fiber trim kit which meant I had to be careful where I was applying the dash/vinyl cleaning products. No big deal.

Overall, I'd say it was okay. My Type R was easier to clean (side windows flush with body, no grill, rims and rear glass were a bitch, though).

Like I said it was my first hand wash with this car so maybe I was a little over analytical. But now that I've had a chance to really get in there and learn about the car's subtle quirks and such, I've got my wash system in place.

So fresh, so clean. Will get pics up as soon as possible.

Thanks

tcostello3
02-29-2004, 07:03 AM
The only way to stop the "bleeding" is to open all the hatches and really dry those cracks & crevices. I keep a second absorber for that so I don't transfer dirt & grime to the exterior and cause scrathes. The nooks & crannies at the top of the hatch are the worse, dry the inside of the hatch itself 1st.

I've gotten it down to 30min. wash & dry...but I tend to let it sit an hour to drip before I polish & wax!

Full Detail in & out by hand is 4-5hours with a 3 step process,
5-6hours when I do clay!

Glad it's warming up for ya!

dofu
02-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by tcostello3
The only way to stop the "bleeding" is to open all the hatches and really dry those cracks & crevices.

if you have a compressor, use that to blow air thru all the little cracks and crevices... works great... too bad i dont have one at home :(

btw... i hate washing my car... thats when i notice all the new "imperfections" in my car's surface...

tcostello3
02-29-2004, 07:47 AM
btw... i hate washing my car... thats when i notice all the new "imperfections" in my car's surface... [/B][/QUOTE]

"Imperfections" HA! I get to see all the straight up chips out of my paint everytime. All my driving is balls-out highway driving. I catch at least 2 rocks a week. Last week I fully dodged under a piece of flying tread from a semi and watched land on the hood of the E-class benz behind...He shoulda bobbed when I weaved!

I still love hand detailing both my Civics every weekend tough!

Uhm..Shiny!

AkronSi
03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
To cut down on all the extra drips I sometimes use Quick & Easy Wash (you can wash your entire car with about 1-2 gallons) or Poorboy's Spray & Wipe (like a quick detailer....but not for heavy dirt). Plus, they are both let you easily get the the nooks and crannies.

Tenacious G
03-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by tcostello3
Full Detail in & out by hand is 4-5hours with a 3 step process,
5-6hours when I do clay!

you have much more determination and patience than i do.

:)

HondCivc91
03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
I've got an electric leaf blower and use that to dry that stuff out, then go over everything with a terrycloth after.

tcostello3
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Wow, that's like one of those brilliant, savant type ideas. Simple, Effective, Creative. I'll try out the blower this weekend.

Thanks Man

Rwecked
03-03-2004, 06:13 PM
The compressor idea is the way to go...blow all the excess out. Got my blowgun attachment back from my brother, ready for the next wash.

I am such a rookie! I forgot inside my sunroof! My defense is that it's the first car I've owned with one, so I have to get in the habit of getting in there!

Thanks for the input guys. BTW, by the time I got around to getting my camera, dirt and dust had once again taken over her. Bring on the next sunny day!

tcostello3
03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Every Honda I've ever had had a sunroof....Damn sunroof. I use it like 2 times a year and it adds weight. I'm gonna get rid of it on my Ex when the bodywork finally gets done.

03silverEP
03-05-2004, 01:59 PM
you can also use a shop vac to blow the water out of the windows etc...