PDA

View Full Version : Type R front sway bar size?

ravenings
02-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi all,
what's the size of the Civic Type R front sway bar? I believe the rear is 22mm. I have a 2002 Civic Si in the States and the front sway bar is 25.4 and the rear sway bar is 15mm. I was wondering what the size of the front sway bar on the Type R because I don't want to simply upgrade my rear sway bar from 15 to 22 without compensating for that in the front sway bar. Basically, I want to match the Type R configuration. If I didn't balance the front and rear sway bars, I believe the car may be at risk of spinning out during an aggressive turn. How about the comptech sway bars? On comptechusa.com, they only list the rear sway bar but there's no front or front and rear sway bar listed. What about Progressive sway bars? What are the sizes of their front and rear sway? Whatever, I go with, I want to get the front and rear sway bars as a set. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

in His love,
HS

oldschoolimport
02-29-2004, 09:58 PM
ctr is 22 front and 22 rear, type s 23 front and 19 rear, si 25 front and 15 rear. I have a type s front but I am waiting on a ctr rear before I put it on. that will give me a 23/22 setup versus a ctr 22/22. the only way to get a ctr front bar to work is to also get the ctr lower control arms.

SilverEpInDc
02-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing

eurosteez
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
keep stock front and get mugen rear. Then youll have 25mm in front and back. das my plan:*

BlackSi613nin
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by eurosteez
keep stock front and get mugen rear. Then youll have 25mm in front and back. das my plan:*

mugen rear sway costs an arm, leg and your left testicle =(
but well worth it!:D
ill settle with the ITR/CTR rear sway

joHn

Vertigo
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
I plan on geting the Progress front and rear sway bars. It's bound to liven up the feel.

benmunger
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
can someone explain why i would want a smaller sway bar on the front?

TEKBRAIN
04-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by benmunger
can someone explain why i would want a smaller sway bar on the front?

Too large front bar vs rear sway bar = UNDERSTEER

oldschoolimport
04-23-2004, 06:06 PM
stiff bars make those wheels slide. soft bars let those wheels articulate and get more grip. soft front bar (smaller) helps the fronts wheels grip, so they go where they are pointed and the stiff rear bar (larger) helps the rear slide, so the car rotates through the turn.

Peking
04-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Moved to suspension :) Some folks who have upgraded the front sway, usually change back to stock. They don't like the feel when racing in SCCA.

Low Rider
04-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Peking
Moved to suspension :) Some folks who have upgraded the front sway, usually change back to stock. They don't like the feel when racing in SCCA.

Yes "P"... you are right. The stock front sway is excellent - there is no need to change it. Save up the money and get the Mugen rear sway and you will be all set. ;)

civic hatch boi
04-24-2004, 09:54 AM
mugen = 25??? isn't that sorta overdoing it? i thought even 22mm is sorta alot.

benmunger
04-25-2004, 05:53 AM
what is the benafit of having a larger front one?

BarracksSi
04-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by benmunger
what is the benafit of having a larger front one?

It'll give more understeer, which for the AVERAGE driver is a good thing. Most people aren't fully aware of how to correct a car's attitude when the tail starts swinging around, so it's safer for the manufacturer to set up the car so that it plows ahead when traction gets dicey.

That way, when the less-skilled driver panics and stomps on the brakes, the car merely keeps sliding the same direction (hopefully slowing down as well) rather than suddenly start spinning around in circles.

Lucid Moments
04-25-2004, 03:38 PM
I have the Progress Rear Sway, and had the Progress Front. I swapped the front back to stock because it understeered like a bitch. I just got back from an auto-x today with the Progress Rear and stock front and it still has just a little bit of understeer, but is almost neutral handling. I'm going to keep it this way for a while, then when my driving gets better I will try to stiffen up the rear even more to get just a little bit of oversteer. Maybe with the Mugen rear sway.