PDA

View Full Version : Comptech catback vs. Spoon axelback & T1R b-pipe

Low Rider
03-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey boys... I've have had my EP3 for almost one year now and in that period of time I have run two separate exhaust systems. I thought I would give you a quick run down on my impressions.

I'll start with the Comptech:

The materials were of the highest quality. The piping is 2.5" and the sound is magnificent. I would describe the tone as "sporty" but with ballsy undertones. I found that the power increases were outstanding. So why don't I own it anymore? For whatever reason, my Comptech banged up against the floor of the car on the passenger's side during foul weather. Last year it rained a lot where I live and the racket was more than I could bare. Also, I was never able to get the pipe centered perfectly out the back. Honestly, I don't know if I just got the bad one of the lot. I must say, Comptech was very gracious and took the unit back even after I had used it for 6 months. Great customer relations!

On to Spoon:

I was suffering from serious power withdrawl so I ran out and purchased the Spoon axelback exhaust. I didn't get the T1R b-pipe until some time later. The first thing that I noticed was that the Spoon was very light. I have always felt that weight savings is a critical part of performance upgrading. The unit was flawlessly machined and bolted right up to the stock mid-pipe dead center. The sound of the Spoon with the stock pipe was racey but subtle. Accelerate a little harder and 'wow', what an incredible tone. I'm guessing that there was a bit of an increase in power from stock but not much; maybe a couple of hp.

About a month ago, I added the T1R mid-pipe. Again the machining and fit was impecable. And guess what, no smacking the bottom of the car, in fact, no problems whatsoever. Power increases are most noticable at the higher rpm's. I found the Comptech to have more 'umph' at the mid and lower portions of the power band. Interestingly, the comptech is bigger in diameter: the T1R is only 2.38" or 60.5mm. The T1R is louder around the 3800 to 4800 rpm arena but it really begins to sing a beautifully race inspired tune at the high end.

Overall, I went with the Spoon-T1R combo because of fit and finish which I believe to be second to none. I hope this helps!

;)

tcostello3
03-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Excellent write up. It's nice when intelligent people share quality info.. Couple quick question.
What was the cost? And where if possible?

Thanks!

rswbrixton
03-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes , well done LowRider .

Low Rider
03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I got the Comptech goodies from Acura Woodbine and the Spoon/T1R combo from A&J Racing...:D

Chinaboy
03-01-2004, 08:05 PM
I will say this....

everyone have their love and pride with their exhausts.... it can be anything. But the Spoon axelback (Street/N1) with the T1R b-pipe is the best sounding exhaust system money can buy for a si...

btw u got a N1 or a street type? I should be getting mine in two months... right after my spoon spring drop.

God I can only imagine...

SiRman
03-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah I love my T1R midpipe!

Got the Spoon springs:smilem: , and the T1R midpipe, now all I need is the N1, but not gonna be any time soon:(

Tenacious G
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
interesting write up. i have a comptech exhaust on the way. hopefully i won't experience the same noises in the rain as you did, Low Rider.

Chinaboy
03-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Yeah I love my T1R midpipe!

Got the Spoon springs:smilem: , and the T1R midpipe, now all I need is the N1, but not gonna be any time soon:(

sirman, I need to consult to you about the Spoon street unadjustable dampers... maybe you can PM me or I can... I juss want to know some stuff about it.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
interesting write up. i have a comptech exhaust on the way. hopefully i won't experience the same noises in the rain as you did, Low Rider.

I might have had one that was a little off in the mandrel somewhere. Apart from that... I really like this exhaust and actually still use their street header.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
I will say this....

everyone have their love and pride with their exhausts.... it can be anything. But the Spoon axelback (Street/N1) with the T1R b-pipe is the best sounding exhaust system money can buy for a si...

btw u got a N1 or a street type? I should be getting mine in two months... right after my spoon spring drop.

God I can only imagine...

I am using the N1... I love it but the combo w/ the T1R is a little loud.;)

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by tcostello3
Excellent write up. It's nice when intelligent people share quality info.. Couple quick question.
What was the cost? And where if possible?

Thanks!

Thank you!!! Both units are around $650-$750US depending on where you do business!:D

SiRman
03-02-2004, 08:48 AM
sirman, I need to consult to you about the Spoon street unadjustable dampers... maybe you can PM me or I can... I juss want to know some stuff about it.

Well, I'm using stock shocks with the Spoon prog. springs.
So I don't have any info on the Spoon fixed dampers, other then I have been told that they do not even exist. They are listed in the Spoon catalogue, and thus on several web sites. But from what A&J have told me, they are not even beeing produced...yet...and I wouldn't hold your breath for them anytime soon.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Well, I'm using stock shocks with the Spoon prog. springs.
So I don't have any info on the Spoon fixed dampers, other then I have been told that they do not even exist. They are listed in the Spoon catalogue, and thus on several web sites. But from what A&J have told me, they are not even beeing produced...yet...and I wouldn't hold your breath for them anytime soon.

That's weird... why do they advertise them? They've got pics and everything!!!:rolleyes:

tcostello3
03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
http://www.raretrick.com/index1.asp?cat=939&Page=1&Display=Yes&Back=Listings&ProductsID=6150

There it is. Call for stock.

tcostello3
03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
BTW...Low Rider. When ya gonna get that Spoon LSD/ Ya know you want it. It's next on my list.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 05:16 PM
BTW...Low Rider. When ya gonna get that Spoon LSD/ Ya know you want it. It's next on my list.

Yeah... I've looked into it. Wouldn't I be better off just to get the DC5 tranny? I do like the gearing ratio of the stock gearbox though... I just ordered the Mugen rear tower strut bar. I'm thinking of getting the sport suspension too. At the moment I am running Eibach Pro kits. :D

tcostello3
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm thinking that LSD and a good Clutch/Flywheel setup will be perfect. Gotta keep the axles on par with the power though. I'm sure they'll be making plenty of high performance axles/cv over the next few months.

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking that LSD and a good Clutch/Flywheel setup will be perfect. Gotta keep the axles on par with the power though. I'm sure they'll be making plenty of high performance axles/cv over the next few months.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking about getting King Motorsports to bore out my throttle body too. One step at a time!:D

tcostello3
03-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Spoons throttle body is available:D

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Spoons throttle body is available:D

I need one!!!:D

Ep3 No.2
03-02-2004, 06:05 PM
where did u get the t1r mid mipe and the spoon n1 exhaust?

rswbrixton
03-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
Yeah... I've looked into it. Wouldn't I be better off just to get the DC5 tranny? I do like the gearing ratio of the stock gearbox though... I just ordered the Mugen rear tower strut bar. I'm thinking of getting the sport suspension too. At the moment I am running Eibach Pro kits. :D

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of Pearl !!!! I ordered the Mugen Rear Strut ( mid-seat level) Bar also . From the top --- Alex c pillar , then mugen upper strut , the Alex strut(floor level) , then Spoon lower tie .

I ordered through City Speed . com

Chinaboy
03-02-2004, 07:22 PM
im getting the springs for 300 and the dampers for 600 from my dealer in the bay area... so i cool

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by rswbrixton
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of Pearl !!!! I ordered the Mugen Rear Strut ( mid-seat level) Bar also . From the top --- Alex c pillar , then mugen upper strut , the Alex strut(floor level) , then Spoon lower tie .

I ordered through City Speed . com

Whoa... your ass end should be tight as hell 'omes!:D

Low Rider
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
where did u get the t1r mid mipe and the spoon n1 exhaust?

A&J Racing in Vancouver!;)

02SilverSiHB
03-02-2004, 08:55 PM
of course you know I have a comptech. At first I had about the same problem, but would describe it as a grumble sound that could be felt throughout the car when it rained. It didn't matter if it was a lot of rain, or a little, it made that sound.

But then I took out a gasket that I put in between the cat and midpipe (competch doesn't come with one, I felt it needed one at the time) I took that out and never have had it happen since...that was forever ago.

Tenacious G
03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
of course you know I have a comptech. At first I had about the same problem, but would describe it as a grumble sound that could be felt throughout the car when it rained. It didn't matter if it was a lot of rain, or a little, it made that sound.

But then I took out a gasket that I put in between the cat and midpipe (competch doesn't come with one, I felt it needed one at the time) I took that out and never have had it happen since...that was forever ago.

the guy i bought the comptech from also mentioned the missing gasket. he ended up buying one and is sending it with the exhaust. i'll try installing the exhaust sans the gasket first.

thanks for the heads up.

:)

Low Rider
03-03-2004, 05:05 AM
the guy i bought the comptech from also mentioned the missing gasket. he ended up buying one and is sending it with the exhaust. i'll try installing the exhaust sans the gasket first.

thanks for the heads up.

:)

I hope that that is all it is. As I say, I really liked the exhaust except for the banging. In my case it was definitely not a grumbling sound but more of an aweful clunking and banging. I was one of the first in North America to buy the Comptech. When I called them and told them about the problem they were anxious to have the exhaust back so they could test it and make any modifications if necessary. I'm sure they have it worked out by now! They are a great group of guys over there. In many ways I miss that exhaust system. I think it develops the most power for an aftermarket exhaust!;)

ToingToing
03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
ohh spoon...spoon..where are you.. damn... i need you spoon to mate with my fork..

man..i cant wait.. im gonna order the t1r midpipe and spoon n1 axle later today. ha, its too early in the morning. lol.

Ep3 No.2
03-04-2004, 01:33 AM
how does the t1r and spoon n1 combo compare to the hks hi power ?
opinions anyone ?