PDA

View Full Version : Check your OIL often!!!

Burgh
10-02-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey guys, I remember reading a couple of threads about Si and RSX owners complaining about their brand new motors burning oil. I was gassing up yesterday and decided to just check it for the hell of it last night.

THE OIL WAS SO LOW IT BARELY REGISTERED ON THE DIPSTICK!!! I had maybe an 1/8 inch up from the END of the stick.

I shit a brick and went directly to the nearest Honda dealer. The service guy said he hadn't seen any cases of this problem yet and had no idea why a brand new car with 3000 miles on it would be losing THAT MUCH oil. He had to put in 2 quarts to get it up to the high mark! I'm taking my baby in this weekend to have it checked out.

Moral - don't screw around with oil in your engine, check often, at every gas fill up like the manual says!

X 2KS2K
10-02-2002, 08:49 AM
i was down a quart after 1000 miles. i'm at 2000 now and haven't lost much if any since i topped it off. just keep an eye on it.

IceD out N CALI
10-02-2002, 08:53 AM
yup the first few thousand miles these engines suck up a lot of oil

corbinh
10-02-2002, 09:10 AM
I've been watching mine, im at 1900 miles and it hasnt used any oil at all. Guess I might not be driving it as hard as others are..thats the only thing I can think of if oil consumption is a common thing.

DrPimpSiR
10-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Up to 3000 miles I was using a lot of oil as well. At that point I changed my oil to Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic. After another 3000 miles the level has barely dropped to half of the 'zone' on the dipstick.

Burgh
10-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Scary part is that I don't drive all that hard and it still happens. At most I'll do one full throttle run up to redline each day. But usually not even that. I do sit in traffic a lot and also drive at high speeds (>80mph) regularly every day. Who knows... I'll let you guys know what the dealership says when I take it in to have them look at it.