PDA

View Full Version : is a test pipe a must have for a turbo?

weltall
03-02-2004, 10:17 PM
i was looking at the the issue of turbo mag and it was saying that if the turbo is over spun to create more boost the heat from the down pipe will melt your cat and possibly crack your turbo exhaust housing because of the melted internals of your cat blocking exhaust from the down pipe and i was thinking that a test pipe is straight through so there is nothing to melt if i install one of these i have some questions
1 will i not have adquate back pressure and start to miss fire as a result
2 even though it has spots for o2 sensors will i get a engine code (cell) because its straight through
3 where can i find one with out spending a arm and a leg

TIA
:confused:

03CivicSi
03-16-2004, 01:57 PM
If it melts your internals and shit and starts cracking stuff because of too much boost.. set the wastegate to "waste" more air so it lowers the psi the turbo is boosting.. if it's overheating from overboost or as you said "overspinning"... don't overboost.. and I would say a high-flow CAT, obviously also known as a test pipe.. would be a nice thing to have whether you have a turbo or not.

that is what I think at least:) I don't have FULL knowledge of FI apps but I have learned a lot about turbos and how they work and things used to coexist with it such as wastegate, BOV, etc.

hope any helped..

Peking
03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by weltall
i was looking at the the issue of turbo mag and it was saying that if the turbo is over spun to create more boost the heat from the down pipe will melt your cat and possibly crack your turbo exhaust housing because of the melted internals of your cat blocking exhaust from the down pipe and i was thinking that a test pipe is straight through so there is nothing to melt if i install one of these i have some questions
1 will i not have adquate back pressure and start to miss fire as a result
2 even though it has spots for o2 sensors will i get a engine code (cell) because its straight through
3 where can i find one with out spending a arm and a leg
TIA:confused:

Yes, but most folks who know what they are doing are careful not to over boost. So don't worry, keep the PSI at around what is rec. then you will be straight. Like Revhards 7 PSI, still using the stock cat. Back pressure is sometimes over rated, and you will miss fire if it is not tuned right. Once again keep it to spec, then no huge ass problems. You will get a cel, even with o2 sim. They are inconsistant. Only one that is really popular for our rides is pretty expensive. Caspers o2 simulator.

03CivicSi
03-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, like what he said.. things to watch out for is back pressure, knock(fuel ignited by compression rather than the way it's supposed to, by the spark plug.. which pushes the piston back down and can mess up your timing BIG time), and overboost leading to overheating.

RockEP_SS**
03-16-2004, 03:22 PM
It's not a must have, but RevHard does have it as an option for their turbo kit. I just got mine and should be installing it this weekend along with my front sway, and an oil change. The turbine should spool a lil faster now with no cat.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

BignatDawg
03-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Its not a must, but if ur boosting i recommend u get it. i had mine for a week and it pulls so much harder. ask Rocky!:D