PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who know about turbos...

MCeez02Si
03-02-2004, 11:39 PM
I know jack about turbo'ing a car and was wondering what possible
risk(s) would be involved if:

1) I decided to Greddy turbo my EP3 w/IC, forever running the stock 6psi, professionally installed and tuned.

2) I know nothing about tuning

3) Properly warming up the car and properly shutting down the car by timer.

4) I do not have the xtra $ nor time if something should be damaged or need to be replaced.

In addition, about how long does the turbo last before it needs replacing/rebuilding?

Thanks in advance.

weltall
03-03-2004, 12:51 AM
greddy is a great kit but mine is boosting at 10 spi cause the waste gate arm has been tightened
go pick up the new turbo mag and there is a trouble shooting info in there a well mantaned and cared for turbo will last a while

K-Series
03-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by MCeez02Si
2) I know nothing about tuning

You don't have to be a hard core tuner to see warning signs and to start to understand how it all works. Don't worry.

Originally posted by MCeez02Si 4) I do not have the xtra $ nor time if something should be damaged or need to be replaced.

This is bad. You're setting yourself up. Seriously reconsider OR save up some $.

In addition, about how long does the turbo last before it needs replacing/rebuilding?

It all depends on how well you keep your car. Change your oil frequently and let it heat up and cool down properly and it should last a decent amount of time.

Steve

87gn
03-03-2004, 09:12 PM

we just replaced a turbo on a buddys we4 (black t type) i think it had 125-130k on it i beleve that he could have got alittle more time out of it if he would have let the car cool down like it was suposed to. i was the one that found it, it had alittle shaft play and it filled his intercooler with oil.

also, when you do a oil change remember to kill the fuel pump and crank the car for 30 seconds to circulate oil to the turbo.