PDA

View Full Version : Dyno chart needed: mid pipe vs cat backs, anyone help??

BlairSpeed
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Im in the market for an exhaust but I dont want anything raspy or too loud. Im not sure weather to just add a bigger mid pipe or go for the full exahust. Anyone with a dyno chart of mid pipe vs. full cat back, please post!

THanks

Tenacious G
03-07-2004, 10:34 AM
the consensus here is the most restrictive part of the OEM exhaust system is the midpipe. the stock muffler seems to flow fine.

while both a cat-back exhaust or midpipe replace cures flow problems, the full cat-back also gives you a louder exhaust. i have the comptech cat-back (otherwise, pretty much stock), and will dyno as soon as i get a chance. i haven't seen a dyno with just a midpipe, however.

if you're worried about noise, the midpipe may be the best choice for you.

BlairSpeed
03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks Tenacious, I am worried about sound but I also dont want to sacrifice any performance. i think a mid pipe is for me!

kelphead
03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I dynoed my car with a 2.5" midpipe, stock muffler and DC sport headers and had 146.7HP to the wheels. Nice exhaust tone with change of midpipe. Go for the midpipe, you will not be disappointed

Quicksilver
03-17-2004, 11:09 PM
A Comptech cat-back netted me maginal power across the entire powerband (1.3hp, 1.5tq) vs. a crush bent 2 1/4" midpipe. The Comptech was noticibly louder and quite "boomy" at low rpms. But it did give a sporty exhaust note that the midpipe doesn't give. I'd posted the dyno chart before, but then Imagestation went flakey. Midpipe is the much better performance bang for the buck.

BlairSpeed
03-23-2004, 02:19 PM
whats the deal with the resonator? When I go to the muffler shop asking for a mid pipe, do I have to say anything about it? Do i keep it in or take it out? thanks

dpw41285
04-06-2004, 03:02 PM
the resonater is just there to quiet it down, if your leaving the stock muffler dont worry about it. You can take it out it has nothing do to with C A R B