PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever drive in silence?

BlairSpeed
03-03-2004, 12:04 PM
I love my car and I love driving it everyday. Sometimes ill turn off my stereo, roll up the windows, close the sun roof and just listen to my a3 whine all the way to red line. I drove all the way to work this morning, taking back roads with no radio. I just love the sound of our tranny/engine together, plus with my SRI its just heaven. Do you guys feel the same way?

jaydub
03-03-2004, 12:05 PM
yeah but then my steering rack starts squeaking so I turn the music back up. :D

kidXStreme
03-03-2004, 12:10 PM
i do this all the time when i drive back from school. I just get fed up with hearing the stereo---just love the noise of our engine i guess. it also helps me improve shifting.

1flySi2002
03-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Yep I love driving the EP with no music. nice and peaceful.

BlairSpeed
03-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kidXStreme
i do this all the time when i drive back from school. I just get fed up with hearing the stereo---just love the noise of our engine i guess. it also helps me improve shifting.

Yea i shift much better when i can hear the engine for some reason. Our engine i so smooth, its hard to tell when to shift unless your looking at the tach or the radio is off. If you have your radio up loud and you dont look at the tach, its really hard to tell what rpm your at. In some cars, the higher the RPMs the more vibrations you can feel, hence you know when its time to shift.

ep pilot
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I seldom ever have the radio on; I love just listening to my K20a3 coupled with the HKS Hi-power concert, it

ToingToing
03-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 1flySi2002
Yep I love driving the EP with no music. nice and peaceful.

i second to that. its jus damn nice to cruise around like that especially if the freeway is empty like every early in the morning when i get off from work. man, its heaven.

sonic imperial
03-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I only listen to the radio when at cruising speed. Otherwise my launches suck and I can't shift as good. I just have to hear the motor. Been driving 5-speeds for over 10 years now but I still do better when it's quiet.

Dunrick
03-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I think our engine sounds like crap unless you got exhaust and intake...

Sounds ok at high rpms...but just daily driving, its annoying.

oogy-boogy
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
In the mornings it's Stern....But on the way home the tunes are always off :)

Civicvtec1ps
03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Stereo is always on.
I can't drive without music.

jaydub
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Stereo is always on.
I can't drive without music.
I can't live without my radio! </ll cool j>
http://www.purple-beats.com/pictures/ll-cool-j.jpg

BlairSpeed
03-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
I think our engine sounds like crap unless you got exhaust and intake...
Sounds ok at high rpms...but just daily driving, its annoying.
really? I love that whine and how the pitch gets higher and higher as the RPMS raise. I found that exhaust/intake mask that whine with roars. I mean i love those sounds too but whine of a well maintained, K20a3 is like butta! Just my opinion

K20A3Si
03-03-2004, 03:59 PM
yea...i love turning my radio of and just driving. its cool to listen to the motor....better when its an A2:cool:

Peking
03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
I can't live without my radio! </ll cool j>
http://www.purple-beats.com/pictures/ll-cool-j.jpg

What about Jamiroquai Jaydub...

http://www.jamiroquai.co.uk/common/images/gallery/large/image1.jpg

:D

Oh and I too like to roll with out the toons on the nice days :)

jaydub
03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Jamiroquai is always in the car. I've got an MP3 CD with all the albums and my favorite remixes on it. :)

Soon2beEP3
03-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I love music, but I find myself turning off the radio alot while accelerating.

Graywolf
03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Good sound, daily driving IS reving to redline SUCKAS!

S2KplusSI
03-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I used to always drive without anything on in my old EP...I love the sound of K-Series motors.

Low Rider
03-03-2004, 06:01 PM
The throttle is the music!!!:D

myeverlovinsir
03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
The throttle is the music!!!:D

Ditto, I took my head unit out on Sunday and drove around listening and watching the shift linkage move during shifts.:D

Rey
03-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Cool, I am not the only weirdo. I almost never listen to my radio. Because #1, I don't have any good music #2, I actually feel embarressed to listen to music #3, I like the sound of my exhaust :P

KingGreg86
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
i would but my replica bc sideskirts are messin with my doors...so there is alot of air noise...

esmith13
03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I do it a lil' differently...

Spring is setting in so it's time for me to roll down the windows, open the sunroof and ride to redline!!

I LOVE the sound of the engine & exhaust - the dumping of boost from the wastegate - the hiss of sucking in all that air through a Blitz stanlesssteel mesh intake filter and the whine of the spooling turbine...

Have to admit I'm gettin a lil' sick of the BOV tho ;)

Eric

SiRacer03
03-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
I do it a lil' differently...

Spring is setting in so it's time for me to roll down the windows, open the sunroof and ride to redline!!

I LOVE the sound of the engine & exhaust - the dumping of boost from the wastegate - the hiss of sucking in all that air through a Blitz stanlesssteel mesh intake filter and the whine of the spooling turbine...

Have to admit I'm gettin a lil' sick of the BOV tho ;)

Eric

Liar! You just want us to be more jealous that you have a turbo! ;)

chubbychu
03-04-2004, 12:31 AM
There is a holiday market by my school. And there is a street that goes RIGHT along side the big concrete wall of the store. its like heaven to hear my engine and exhaust roar and bounce off the wall and back for me to listen.

SiRacer03
03-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
There is a holiday market by my school. And there is a street that goes RIGHT along side the big concrete wall of the store. its like heaven to hear my engine and exhaust roar and bounce off the wall and back for me to listen.

I love doing that under bridges.

Ep3 No.2
03-04-2004, 01:19 AM
my engine is all the radio i need =OP

HondCivc91
03-04-2004, 01:36 AM
all the time. especially on the nice spring days lately. just roll the windows down and listen to the engine - all 92 hp of it :D

esmith13
03-04-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by SiRacer03
Liar! You just want us to be more jealous that you have a turbo! ;)

HAHA, no really... The BOV get's old - trut me.

Besides, I have a bad habit of hesitating between shifts to let it blow off completely. If i shift correctly, the sound gets interrupted mid way and my brain tells my hand to let the BOV complete it's cycle which leads to a slow lethargic shift.

I don't want anyone to be jealous of what i have... i just want you all to loose if your dumb enough to line up next to me. ;)

Eric :angel:

BlairSpeed
03-04-2004, 11:52 AM
I do that while in drive thru's. I always rev more then i have to just to hear the intake sucking sound, slurp slurp! Im so glad I didnt by a cavalier or a GTI or a Mazda or anything else, period.

esmith13
03-04-2004, 11:56 AM

I like going under small underpasses that are also shaped like a concrete tunnel...

If I get caught at the light near the mouth of it I give her a BIG revv or two and she sounds like a motorcycle on steroids. :D

Eric

Gango
03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I also love the sound of the engine...I wish I had an intake, than it would be a lot better. By the way, any suggestions on a good, safe intake. I am doing my mods slowly I just want to make sure I do them right and decent.

esmith13
03-04-2004, 01:19 PM
AEM V2 CAI.

Puts out the most power and isn't down in the wheel well where it can suck up water. It's in the engine bay like a short ram!

Talk to chibianh about it. he had a picture of his poster somewhere and the filter is in the engine bay which supprised me since it's a CAI. he dyno'd with it higher than a car with just a regular AEM CAI and we all know the regular AEM and INJEN were a close comparison with the edge going to AEM anyways. And no normal short ram is as good as a CAI.

AEM V2 all the way - I would say...

Eric

STP03BlueSI
03-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Every once and awhile I drive with no music. Usually when I put something new on the car, or when I am just in a crappy mood. But you have to do that with the windows up. You do it with them down...you will get some strange looks.:D

Chris

FurY
03-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I used to ALWAYS have the music going and couldn't drive w/o some sort of sound. However, since I've gotten my EP3 a few weeks ago, I prefer to have the stereo off to hear the engine :D

Loudpedal
03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Stereo is usually on for the freeway stuff, but turned down for the run up through the gears.

I'll also turn the stereo off if I'm driving in really shitty conditions (and I mean Canadian shitty conditions). Basically the weather and road conditions that are so poor the passengers stop talking kind of stuff.

phantasia
03-05-2004, 11:14 PM
the only time i ever have the tunes going is when im cruising at night with the homies or the strip by myself. gotta have that thump going. otherwise, its never on. i love the sound of our engines too much, plus its so peaceful and zen-like just hearing the soft purring and roars that i wont give up that tranquility. oh, and my g/f hates my music (industrial/techno/hip-hop/etc.) soo... its silence.

phantasia
03-05-2004, 11:17 PM
hook up a k&n typhoon. it sounds beautiful. you'll find yourself driving around wasting gas and double clutching just to listen to it.

EvilSlvRCiViC
03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
i sometimes kill the radio just to enjoy the drive- sometimes its good to just be nice and quiet