PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Back Side...

Mithuth
03-05-2004, 11:30 AM
While this is not the first hatchback I have owned, it is the first one I have had that has collected so damn much dirt on the back window and bumper.

So my purpose and question here is, Does the SiR style wing, or any wing similar in design, help blow the grit and grime further off the back, and help eliminate the crap that lays on the window?

HELP, it's driving me nuts, and I've only had the car 6 days!

My CRX doesn't collect that much crap, butt then again, the hatch is almost like it's roof. lol.

-Jason

DynaSpeed
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Might be time to invest in a hose.

itwasfate02si
03-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Or even a car cover.....

Sarah

STP03BlueSI
03-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by itwasfate02si
Or even a car cover.....

Sarah

Yea you need one BAD..damn oak trees...but then again mine at work sits under a Oak tree all day. Almost has a blue green color:(

Chris

G-J
03-05-2004, 11:49 AM
You can get a Mugen wing with the mid-wing (the one above the license plate).

J/K - Every hatch I have seen EG, EK, EP, etc all have that problem. Probably the way the aerodynamics are and how the air circulates around the car. Not sure there is any really solution except keep a duster with you. $15 versus $200+

anjapower
03-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the dust that the car collects from driving it...

There's nothing you can really do about that. The short rear overhangs of the car cause this problem. All the dirt/dust kicked up by the rear tires make their way on to the bumper and rear windscreen. The problem is not as bad on sedans because they have the big trunk on the back...you'll notice that sedans don't even have wipers most of the time because of this.

Mwing
03-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Make the sides of your car like a golf ball to make air flow away from the back. It saves gas too.

Sb00
03-05-2004, 07:45 PM
this is a dirty back side :p

this is what the back looks like after a long night out at the rallycross in the dry lake beds
http://s93800305.onlinehome.us/Pics/PDR_0108.jpg
http://s93800305.onlinehome.us/Pics/PDR_0109.jpg

evilep3
03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
i cant believe you take the EP on the lake beds :eek: that is AWSOME!! i wanna see some video if ya get a chance:D

Peking
03-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Holy Monkey :eek:

http://s93800305.onlinehome.us/Pics/PDR_0109.jpg

I wash my car two times a week to help maintain the dirtyness... Do (can) you wash yours often?

Mithuth
03-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Yes, I have owned mine since Sunday (6 days as of this post) and have washed it 4 times. I hate salty rainy roads. Makes White look brown!

My question was sort of answered. I guess waht I needed to know is if the larger SiR type spoilers on the upper hatch helps to prevent all that damn dusty film from getting on there while driving.

As far as a hose and covers etc... I have a huge cover, in the form of a 2 stall heated garage, WITH plumbing (aka hose). She's well kept and cared for.

I just wanted to know if anyone has found a cure for this mess yet.

Hmmm.... perhaps a parkbench spoiler...

Ep3 No.2
03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
damn thats dirty lol. sounds fun though

redronin22
03-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Mugen wing helps a lil bit but still gets pretty dirty back their.

Mithuth
03-07-2004, 11:39 AM
which wing is it that has an open slot to let the air flow between the hatch and the wing, and maybe force the air down across the hatch to "sweep" some of the air away?

http://www.geocities.com/mithuth/EP/ep1.txt

Like this one... see how there is space between the hatch and wing... think it would help?

redronin22
03-07-2004, 11:54 AM
nope thats my wing. Mugen replica. looks nice and suposedly wind tunnel tested to improve downforce. But not good at keeping car clean in the ass. my sugestion. wax the rear with several extra coats. that way the dust is repelled off.
I used so much wax coats a bird shit on my car n they wind was able to blow it off after it dried.

thats no lie btw. :eek:

Mithuth
03-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by redronin22
nope thats my wing. Mugen replica. looks nice and suposedly wind tunnel tested to improve downforce. But not good at keeping car clean in the ass. my sugestion. wax the rear with several extra coats. that way the dust is repelled off.
I used so much wax coats a bird shit on my car n they wind was able to blow it off after it dried.

thats no lie btw. :eek:

That's F'n awsome! lol. I haven't wazed her yet, or evne washed her by hand. Just a few quick spray offs, it's been too damn cold here in PA to wax, and I can't justify cranking hte garage heat to 70+ just to wax a car.

I will keep the wax idea in mind when I hand wax it in spring.