PDA

View Full Version : Payn technologies visit today!

PantherSi
03-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Greetings all. Wanted to mention my visit to Payn Technologies in Troy, MI today. Met with Tom from Payn. Awesome guy, very knowledgable and friendly. Shop had about 5-6 cars in it (CRX, older hatch, couple new Si's, WRX, etc). Staff was courteous. Hell, the engine building tech wore a lab coat! I went there to ask for some price quotes for various different labor costs and I thought I would post them here (strictly initial estimates of course and subject to change based on situation, in case anyone every wondered:

* Customer provides K20a2 complete head and ECU and harness bits - cost for labor to put it on K20a3 block: About 640.00+

* Labor cost to install new lowering springs into Ep3: About 240.00

* Labor cost to install a Jackson Supercharger into Ep3: About 800.00

* Hondata Flash: 595.00 for flash. (Add 50.00 if you have Payn do it, easier this way; Drop car off and 2 days later BAM your done.)

* Clutch replacement: About 350.00

* Dyno Run: About 150.00

Tom was about to take a new SI Hatch with a Hondata Flash and AEM V2 out for a test drive just as I arrove and I got to go with him. He let the car warm up and drove it easy till the time was right and he opened her up a bit - OMG the extra revs and other programing from the flash make all the diff - its like a different car! And the Aem V2 sounds really good but not as loud as an Injen (the sound is centered in the engine bay and more muted as opposed to the injen CAI which is very loud sound coming out of driver bumper past 3000 rpms). Very impressive compared to stock and this car only had those 2 things done to it! Overall, very cool visit to Payn and I am definately getting all my work done there. Thanks for reading my post.

PantherSi
2003 Honda Civic Si
Injen RD Cai
MBRP Mid-pipe

Rey
03-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Nice, so the head swap price includes the parts? I doubt it. Good post!

PantherSi
03-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Hello Rey, That price is just for the labor on the head swap with the "customer provided parts". From what I've seen, its about 1,000.00 for a good used, complete K20a2 head and about 200-250 for a good used ECU. I saw some lucky person found a head for about 750.00 on here - that extremely good; man its hard just trying to find those parts, even on Club RSX. Thanks for the post remark, just trying to share.

anjapower
03-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Rey
Nice, so the head swap price includes the parts? I doubt it. Good post!

Think about it...My guess is NO:rolleyes:

Back on topic: They seem like they are very knowledageable...let us know how your car turns out with those mods.

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 08:01 PM
About 800 for the SC. Alrighty then. I imagine they can get that but realistically I would do it yourself unless you don't enjoy turning a wrench on your own ride. I think that it is a perfect weekend project that requires little in-depth knowledge to do. JMO:D

NickZed20
03-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by PantherSi
Hello Rey, That price is just for the labor on the head swap with the "customer provided parts". From what I've seen, its about 1,000.00 for a good used, complete K20a2 head and about 200-250 for a good used ECU. I saw some lucky person found a head for about 750.00 on here - that extremely good; man its hard just trying to find those parts, even on Club RSX. Thanks for the post remark, just trying to share.

getting an RSX-S head and ECU is a bit cheaper then that. I got my head for $650 INCLUDING TB, IM, Valve cover, headstuds, and some other stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2461874030&category=36475

Some guy has one up on honda-tech for $700, but it doesnt have sensors. There is a post in the classifieds linking to it. I would assume you can use the sensors from the K20A3 head? (myeverlovinsir?)

got my ECU for $100 from someone off clubrsx, and its fine...
(i think i got a GOOD deal though, this was back when no one wanted them)

Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
About 800 for the SC. Alrighty then. I imagine they can get that but realistically I would do it yourself unless you don't enjoy turning a wrench on your own ride. I think that it is a perfect weekend project that requires little in-depth knowledge to do. JMO:D

agreed, but wont you have to run some oil lines and stuff? havent dont one personnally, but i dont think it could be too hard.

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 08:11 PM
No oil lines, its a straight bolt on. I will have even less to do, I just have to reprogram my ECU for it, all of .5 seconds. No soldering or JR powercard.:D

PantherSi
03-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the posts, very informative - I'll check out honda-tech as another avenue.