PDA

View Full Version : oil filter relocation

darkvibe
03-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Will this kit work on our cars? I'm sick of the filter location.

http://www.importparts.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=400_408&products_id=2532

Also, are there any other kits that would work that I should check out?

Heitzke
03-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Interesting. Speaking of filter location, who else thinks it blows where they put it?! I think Honda could have done a little better with that,

VIZHUNZ02SI
03-05-2004, 11:05 PM
that spot blows
its a biiiiaatttchh to change that

ConeCrazy02
03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Relocation of oil filter will drop your oil pressure.

dchu
03-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Honda probably does that to make money. They figure we're too lazy to go back there and get it. I mean the k-series motors are reverse from older honda motors but they still put that biatch back there. It would be so much easier if it was in front and there was a hole in the splash guard to reach it.

civicSIracer
03-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by dchu
Honda probably does that to make money. They figure we're too lazy to go back there and get it. I mean the k-series motors are reverse from older honda motors but they still put that biatch back there. It would be so much easier if it was in front and there was a hole in the splash guard to reach it.
the kits made by greddy..not honda

mrfixit687
03-06-2004, 02:00 AM
its not hard to reach at all, u just need a lift :D

bigace
03-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Is it me and do I have unnaturally long arms, or can you lay down next to the passenger side and easily pull off the filter with minimal effort?

Ace

idrive
03-06-2004, 03:28 AM
im short and fat... and i dont think its hard at all

dofu
03-06-2004, 03:59 AM
i am a big mofo with big arms and big hands, and i have no prob gettin my oil filter out... jus use rubber gloves, and you most likely wont need any tools, and remember not to torque the new filter too much so it'll be easier to get out next time you change your oil. and no, it wont fall off or leak as long as you torque it enough with your hands (but like i said, not too much torque)

STP03BlueSI
03-06-2004, 06:20 AM
I use a lift. Perks of workin at a car dealership:D

Oh yea and AIR tools for any installs;)

Chris

dchu
03-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
the kits made by greddy..not honda

I was refering to the filter locations holmes. Guess I should of quoted the posters before talking about the location.

Peking
03-06-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm going to move this to the engine section :)

darkvibe
03-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I can get the filter off fine standing next to the passenger side fender. The problem is, thers no place to lift it out the top. It won't fit up through where I stick my hand down there. I have to lower it and set it down on whatever is underneath then reach under the car and get it. I spill oil on everything every single time I change my oil.

bigace
03-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Dudes, drain the oil first and u wont spill oil. Rub a bit of the new oil around the filter rim when you put it on to ensure it comes off next time. Oldschool techniques are always the best :)

peACE

ConeCrazy02
03-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Dont remove the oil filter from the top, you'll end up messing up the sensor (forgot the name of it) thats located there. Instead, turn the wheel and remove from the wheel well.

darkvibe
03-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by bigace
Dudes, drain the oil first and u wont spill oil. Rub a bit of the new oil around the filter rim when you put it on to ensure it comes off next time. Oldschool techniques are always the best :)

peACE

When you drain the oil first it still leaves oil in the filter that spills out when I drop it on the ground trying to get it out :)

I always drain first, let it drip for at least 10 min. then take off the filter.

pedzola
03-06-2004, 01:35 PM
All I have to say about the oil filter is "holy crap." I tried changing my oil today (second oil change... first was at 1700 miles when I crashed the car, and the filter wasn't changed).

So I dump the oil out... then go for the filter...

IT WON'T BUDGE!!! Pain in the ass enough where its located, let alone that they musta put it on there w/about 10000000000ft-lbs of torque! I have the thing that goes over the back of the oil filter for socket wrench and stuff, but still couldn't get it off!!!!

IT WON'T BUDGE. I ended up changin the oil w/o filter. =( 5600 miles.... manual says I dont' really need to change it til 10k but I dunno how much I believe that... I guess its stayin in there til my next change though... ill have to bring it to a shop next time.

I dunno wtf is up w/that thing bein stuck on there so hard. =(

darkvibe
03-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by pedzola
All I have to say about the oil filter is "holy crap." I tried changing my oil today (second oil change... first was at 1700 miles when I crashed the car, and the filter wasn't changed).

So I dump the oil out... then go for the filter...

IT WON'T BUDGE!!! Pain in the ass enough where its located, let alone that they musta put it on there w/about 10000000000ft-lbs of torque! I have the thing that goes over the back of the oil filter for socket wrench and stuff, but still couldn't get it off!!!!

IT WON'T BUDGE. I ended up changin the oil w/o filter. =( 5600 miles.... manual says I dont' really need to change it til 10k but I dunno how much I believe that... I guess its stayin in there til my next change though... ill have to bring it to a shop next time.

I dunno wtf is up w/that thing bein stuck on there so hard. =(

Wear a rubber glove. It that doesn't work, have someone grab it from the top, and another person grab it from the wheel whell and both turn. Thats what I had to do at my first oil change because it was on so tight from the factory.

bigace
03-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Where are you guys that are having trouble getting the filter off trying to do it from? are you reaching down past the engine through the hood? If so, yeah, its impossible. Lay down next to the passenger side tire and you can easily get it off. Even easier to do an olio change if you pull off the front passenger side rim, for those of us w/o lifts.. I was able to get it going in like 10 minutes the other day, with no experience ;) Its way easy from the passenger side laying down with the rim off. Peace.

Ace

chunky
03-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by ConeCrazy02
Dont remove the oil filter from the top, you'll end up messing up the sensor (forgot the name of it) thats located there. Instead, turn the wheel and remove from the wheel well.

what he said.

it's worked for me.

chunky
03-08-2004, 08:04 AM
also, I'd like to reiterate that hondas don't like oil filter relocation kits. you significantly increase the volume of oil in the system which places more stress on the oil pump & can reduce oil pressure.