PDA

View Full Version : question about trade and purchase

brcrane14
03-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey whats up guys. Ive been reading the posts here for awhile and have decided that I am going to get an ep. I visited forums of the other cars i was looking into (se-r, srt-4, mazdaspeed) but the amount of problems that people seemed to be having were incredible. I need a car that wont be a constant headahe like my eclipse. Plus, I really love the way the ep looks, screw what everyone else thinks. And I think the interior is shaweeet lookin, way better than the other cars I was considering. I am looking at both new and used eps, but am probably gonna just go new since ive been reading about the great prices some of you guys got when picking up an 04 or left over 03. My questions are these, 1) My eclipse has a check engine light on, cheap after market springs (terrible ride quality) and a mufflerless exhaust ( I have the greddy evo exhaust system and some punk stole my damn muffler while I was drinkin at the bar). Should I fix the problems with the car and turn it back to stock or should i not even bother since most dealers dont have a clue about cars anyway. 2) For any of you Maryland people (or even jersey, virginia or pennsylvania) do you recommend a particular dealership and dealer to go to to get the best possible price for the ep? Thanks alot guys for readin this long ass post! I look forward to bein apart of the forum and havin the ep to go along with it, take care ya'll -Brian
PS- Even though im a newbie I am quite comfortable usin the search button :D , so dont worry, if i have questions ill use it first ;)

Jay H
03-06-2004, 08:52 AM
It's been my experience that fully stock cars (without mods) that are clean and well presented tend to bring the most money when trading them in. Cars that have parts on them that limit their appeal to the general buying public will take a bit more of a hit when trading in. Most of those dealers do have a clue as to what these cars will bring (it's their job to know used cars). If they have to fix up a car before putting it on their lot, that will be reflected in the price you get for it when trading.

Car dealers will take into account the time (which equals money) it will take to port your trade in so it's presentable on the used car lot. The less time it will take them to fix and clean stuff, the more they can allow.

Also, if your car is bone stock and clean, they'll probably be more likely to keep it for their used car lot and may give you more for it verses having to wholesale out the car. I always bring my cars in fully detailed when I want to trade them in. It always helps.

Good Luck,

Jay
03 Si (http://www.jays911.com/si.htm)

Mugen Power
03-06-2004, 11:09 AM
I think at the very least, you should put some kind of muffler back on. Even from a quick visual inspection, they would notice something like that.

brcrane14
03-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh i definitely was planning on putting on a new muffler without even a doubt. But as for the springs I was torn on whether to leave them on or fork up the money for stock springs and install labor. Any dealer recomendations in the maryland or surrounding state area? Any particular dealerships you guys reccomend for good service and or awesome prices on eps?

Jay H
03-06-2004, 05:09 PM
BR:

With these cheap springs, is the Eclipse's ride height lowered much? If not, you could maybe get away with just leaving those cheap springs on.

Jay
03 Si

RedLight_Si
03-07-2004, 12:13 AM
What made you decide on the EP? What kind of problems have you heard of concerning the other cars you have mentioned? If you look on here enough, you will find the EP has its share of problems also. Probably one the biggest complaints are about grinding gears which it seems Honda is ignoring,from what I understand. My transmission shifts fine though,so far(knock on wood).I have had problems though. I have had things replaced that just arent normal to replacing on a car thats not even a year old.If I were you I just wouldnt expect the car to be problem free,which many people on here will say,no car is. Good luck.

brcrane14
03-07-2004, 01:11 PM
i definitely know that no car is problem free, if there was one everybody would own it. Mazdaspeeds have engine problems, tranny problems, suspension annoyances and even a blown engine hear and there. The srt's don't have as much problems and even less now that the 04's seemed to work out some of the kinks, and the se-rs, have transmission failures and three people i know with sers are stressed to all hell because of things that go wron with their cars. Before anyone flames me for sayin stuff about these cars, please note that i realize i have never owned one of the cars and therefore i cant make a complete generalization and im basing my statement from what ive read on forum pages. Im just looking for a car that isnt breaking down evey friggin month, or slamming around on the street cuz the suspension sucks, which is what my eclipse is and let me tell you it stresses the hell out of me. all in all i need a new car or a slightly used one and after several months of forum reading the ep seems to be the best choice for me.
Ive decided on the ep for a number of reasons.1) yes i know people have had minor complaints about the eps tranny with the gear gring and what not, but the majority say that ur ep has been nothing but good to you and you love it. 2) i love the look of the ep (in every color, but i think blue pearl may be my fav) and the fact that i dont see them all over the road like eclipses and other style civics makes it all the more desirable 3) i never take my eclipse on trips cuz there is no room for luggage or friends (and of course the ride quality is unbareable for anything longer than a 30 min. drive (just to give u an idea its a 99' and has only 52,000 miles on it). so the fact that the eps interior is pretty spacious and the hatch provides plenty of cargo space is a huge bonus in my book 4) cmon the rally shifter is just too damn awesome, and IMO i think the interior is pretty damn nice, nice lookin seats , silver accents, complimenting floormats and gauges. its just appealing to look at, "new agey"

Mugen Power
03-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't know if you go to any Eclipse forums but if you do, maybe you can arrange for a trade on the springs. See if some guy with stock springs will trade for your aftermarket ones.

seattlecivic
03-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Dayyyyam, that is a big paragraph. Its so hard to read :-(

USAFHondaguy
03-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Whatever you do, sell your car yourself. Dealers basically screw you with trade-in value.

silverfoxsi
03-09-2004, 03:58 AM
If you want an '03 leftover & don't mind driving up to Edison N.J. you can make a good deal at Open Road Honda. Check out their website www.openroadhonda.com for current inventory. I got mine for $15,300.00 plus tax & tags on feb. 19th, 2004. Others on this site have done as well or better.

LACH
03-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Dude I had an SE-R and my brother still has his spec V and lemme tell you total crap cars!!! I was also looking very seriously at the mazdaspeed but bigtime problems with that car also. I went with the ep and gotta say even with the very small issues with my car I LOVE IT!