PDA

View Full Version : lowering car at 16k miles

pLopSI
03-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Summer's coming up and I'm debating whether I should lower my car with lowering springs or just wait till the day i'm crazy enough to charge for the tein basics or mugen suspension kit on my credit card. The only thing I'm afraid of when lowering my car is that I live in the NE, which means that the roads are quite harsh. I'm also currently at 16k miles on my stock shocks.

So does that mean after lowering my car, my shocks will blow out earlier than I had installed them at say... 500 miles? I'm currently on 17s and i got a 4 finger gap (2.6in) on all four corners. If I do decide to get the springs, i'll probably go for the eibach pro-kit, since they're the most reasonable drop for our cars in the NE.

Basically, my choices are 1) lower the car for now to get rid of the SUV height, blow my stock shocks (whenever that'll be), sell lowering springs, then buy a new tein/mugen set. 2) forgo choice number 1 n' buy the tein/mugen set later on.

Tenacious G
03-07-2004, 12:44 AM
with 16K miles already on your stock struts, yes, they will wear out quicker if you decide to lower.

how quick will depend on the roads you drive on, what condition the struts are in now, etc. etc.

while the 4x4 look is horrendous, i'd recommend waiting to get the Teins or Mugen. just my .02.

idrive
03-07-2004, 03:08 AM
considering how frikkin cheap it is to buy a set of lowering springs and install them yourself... i say go for it. obviously the older the shocks are the faster they will wear out. but ill bet they'll last long enough (maybe even longer than youd like) for you to save up to get some full coilovers... and since you have ripped apart the suspension before... you should be pretty good at it the second time around.

dofu
03-07-2004, 05:36 AM
what took you so long? i barely droke in my car when i dropped mines :D

Eee Pee
03-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by pLopSI
Basically, my choices are 1) lower the car for now to get rid of the SUV height, blow my stock shocks (whenever that'll be), sell lowering springs, then buy a new tein/mugen set. [/B]

I have 17K on mine, and I just put Progress springs on.
Your plan is just like mine. Blow the stock shocks then replace them with a full set-up.
It made the most sense to me, as springs are under $150.
It took an hour and a half, with no problems, whatsoever.

The difference in appearance is huge!

Gearhead Geek
03-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Eee Pee, did you install them yourself, or have someone do it for you? Cause when I installed my SportLines I couldn't for the life of me keep the driveshafts from falling out (had no problem getting em back in, but, was still annoying nonetheless)

Eee Pee
03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Did them with a few pals.
The best part was the lift, air tools, and a few helping hands.
I was helping with a swap in a race garage shop.

That was a "right place, right time."

We used a stool to prop the rotor as verticle as possible, we lowered the car down a little, onto the stool.
I placed a 2x4 vertically under the lugs to be sure it would stay.

But, if you had the car on jackstands, using a jack placed under the rotor would work.
Under the top hat would be better, or with a piece of wood, under the lugs.
Crank the jack up a little.

Two people made it easier.

I pretty much used the 7thgencivic how to, which was very helpful.

pLopSI
03-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I would've done the drop first but I had opted for the wheels first. That choice was half bad half good, cause the wheels made the car look much different than before, yet it looked like i could climb curbs n' go off-roading in it. At least i didn't hafta worry too much about those potholes.

I'm planning to do the install myself, n' hopefully along w/ anyone who could help me out. This way, I'll learn more about my car, save money on havin someone else install it, and have a more rewarding feeling afterwards. I've read the DIYs thoroughly to have a good idea of wut to do; the most useful one being 7th gen civic's cause he had those animated .gifs as well as a very detailed comprehensible instructions. The only part of the install that seems difficult so far is getting those tie rods out.

Eee Pee
03-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Beat on them with a hammer just like the video gif, it worked like it shows.

YooShin
03-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
Beat on them with a hammer just like the video gif, it worked like it shows.

Installed my progress springs about 2 weeks ago @ 17K also. My brother Kimchi Boy helped out. Definetly helps to have a buddy help you out. The tie rods were actually the easiest part. Both my axels fell out even when I craddled the rotors with the spar tire. The jack idea sound like a better idea just try to keep the weight of the caliper from rotating the damn thing out. I've posted some comments on the spring install sticky. I've pics of the entire process. Air tools would cut the time dramatically. Make sure you have a nice deep socket for the rear top bolts. I had this little erector set wrench and it made it the hardest part of the whole install. Also: Don't drink. It'll slow you down and it's not to safe:eek: