PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to add oil...

sonic imperial
10-03-2002, 08:36 AM
to the engine if it's still using the break-in oil? I'm at 2500 miles and the oil line is halfway between the two holes on the stick. I checked it last night. I don't know if the dealership would use anything special or just 5W-20 Honda Motor Oil. I can add that myself rather than scheduling an appointment but I don't want to screw it up either. However I think they should add some for free since I have free oil changes anyway.

DynaSpeed
10-03-2002, 09:05 AM
They will just add 5w-20. It would be easier to do yourself, rather than get your car in a dealership. The notches are approximately 1 quart apart. So right in between the notches is about

sonic imperial
10-03-2002, 09:10 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Is there any level between the notches that is recommended or is it best to have it filled to the upper mark? I figured the space between the holes represented one quart. Also, is there any significant difference between Honda Motor Oil and other major brands?

DynaSpeed
10-03-2002, 09:18 AM
I would recommend keeping it at the upper mark at all times. I also get the free dealer oil-change, but I keep a quart on hand (some Pennzoil 5w-20) for when I find it a lil' low.

sonic imperial
10-03-2002, 09:26 AM
I hear that. I'm going to pick up a quart today on my way home and get it up to the top mark. I was noticing in the owner's manual that the engine oil filter doesn't need changing until 20,000 miles and that the oil only needs replacing at 10,000 (or 5,000 if severe.). Do you know the reason behind that? I would have thought that you always replace the filter when you change the oil. I may have to tell honda to replace the filter also so they won't just change the oil only unless keeping the filter in longer is best.

sonic imperial
10-04-2002, 09:40 AM
I put some Penzoil 5W-20 in this morning and brought it up to the full mark. Should be in good shape now.