PDA

View Full Version : Engine Damper?????

BISDAK-R
03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
can someone give me a site or a number where I can find engine damper that fits the ep3 not for the dc5, cuz from what i understand there is drilling involved with the dc5 damper, Is this also worth the buy or should i just go with motor mounts?

andy
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BISDAK-R
can someone give me a site or a number where I can find engine damper that fits the ep3 not for the dc5, cuz from what i understand there is drilling involved with the dc5 damper, Is this also worth the buy or should i just go with motor mounts?

Motor mounts are cheaper and probably do the job better (from what
I have seen/heard). However, dampener is quick/easy.
There's a vendor in the Vendor Forum selling Mr. Alex/J's Racing
stuff. In there, he's selling the dampener for $210 or so, shipped.
Pretty good deal. Hondawerx, that's whose selling it.

CSMsi311
03-09-2004, 12:54 AM
i'm pretty sure my buddy at www.clubrsx.com can hook you up with an Ingall's unit.

a engine damper only goes rigid when there is excess movement so it doesn't transmit engine vibrations.

BISDAK-R
03-09-2004, 01:12 AM
yeah but isn't the ones for the rsx need mods to fit the ep?

chet
03-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by BISDAK-R
yeah but isn't the ones for the rsx need mods to fit the ep?

I got mine through Howard at Pole Position Products. I'm not sure if he's a vendor here still or not. Do a search for J's Racing engine damper. Maybe www.polepositionproducts.com

SiRman
03-09-2004, 09:29 AM
There is def. more engine vibration with this mod, and yes the DC5 one requires drilling. The EP specific one has a mounting plate which avoids the need for drilling, but may not be compatable with some front upper sturt braces.

SiR_d1
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by chet
I got mine through Howard at Pole Position Products. I'm not sure if he's a vendor here still or not. Do a search for J's Racing engine damper. Maybe www.polepositionproducts.com

no, Howard is no longer a vendor here which sucks cause he was a good seller

FCobra94
03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah I had the same questions man, ever since I saw the J's Racing one in the Vendor Sales section.

Could anyone kinda compare/contrast these w/ the the motor mount inserts?

Thanks!

CSMsi311
03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Just to clarify. He should be able to get them for any model.

KeNnYtAkEr
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
www.aj-racing.com they have the Mr.Alex dengine damper "green" and the J's Racing damper "orange" both made from Mr.ALex but different branded names Ingalls has a Blue one but not out yet. ;)

IIx 03 EP xII
03-11-2004, 08:41 AM
so the damper is easier to install... but costs more and doesnt work as well? is that it? im really confused. cuz i thought they were adjustable, so if you needed less wheel hop, then you could adjust it, and there would be more vibration, but then daily driving you could adjust it so there isnt any vibration.

is it better just get the 20 dollar inserts and pay a shop to do it? cuz i know i cant install them, and i dont know anybody around here that can either... so it might end up being the same amount of money for me.

the damper looks cooler!!;)

chet
03-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
and i dont know anybody around here that can either...

Do you mean in Florida or here on EPHatch? I know there have been a few guys here at the hatch that did this themselves. It wasn't easy and it was pretty time consuming, but I know its been done. you might check K-series.com for a DIY thread. If its been done, they have it documented, surely.:)

IIx 03 EP xII
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
i was talking about around here in pcb. my friend says he can do it, but he hasnt done it before on an Si. ill probably just buy the mounts and ask around the different shops who can do it cheapest.

andy
03-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
i was talking about around here in pcb. my friend says he can do it, but he hasnt done it before on an Si. ill probably just buy the mounts and ask around the different shops who can do it cheapest.

The install isn't that bad (now that I know what I'm doing).
It's 6 bolts to undo the subframe (4 17mm and 19mm).
One bolt to undo the front mount, 4 bolts to under the rear (17mm).
Plus, I loosened the sway bar to give some play, not sure if you'd
need to do that again or not.
With a friend, it should take about 2 hours, maybe less.

I'm going to do a write-up/DIY on it soon (I've now done the mounts
twice in a 4 day period, heh) with pics, but I'm also trying to move
this week and going out of town, so things are hectic.

KeNnYtAkEr
03-11-2004, 02:56 PM
I believe the damper actually prevents the engine from moving when shifting allowing for quicker/smoother shifts?!? I know the 5-Zigen damper isn't a good design cus mounts on the firewall.

KeNnYtAkEr
03-11-2004, 03:22 PM
http://www.aj-racing.com/alex/other/Alex-TorqueDamper-EP3-DSCN4077.jpg

KeNnYtAkEr
03-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Here is a clear pic

SiRman
03-13-2004, 03:17 PM
That is the dc5 one pictured, same one I have.
The ep kit comes with a bracket that mounts to the two sturt mounts next to where the dc5 one is drilled.

BISDAK-R
03-13-2004, 04:56 PM
is there any other place i can get the one for ep3 the ones listed are out of stock

Mighty_Mouse
03-18-2004, 08:38 AM
I've got a brand new J's Racing dampener for the EP3 for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32849

SONIC SI
03-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Does anyone else know where to get one?

Pir8pete
03-30-2004, 09:24 PM
ppl we don't want to drill anything, we want the one made for the EP3, jezzzzzz

Mighty_Mouse
03-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Pir8pete
ppl we don't want to drill anything, we want the one made for the EP3, jezzzzzz

What's your point. Just buy the EP3 one already. Damm.

Siman
03-30-2004, 10:05 PM
did you guys just agree?

LOL

I need a engine damper...my motor mounts are taking it like a bitch!:eek:

SONIC SI
03-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
What's your point. Just buy the EP3 one already. Damm.

That is what I am trying to find out. Who sells it?

EtherGhost
03-31-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by SONIC SI
That is what I am trying to find out. Who sells it?

Originally posted by KeNnYtAkEr
www.aj-racing.com they have the Mr.Alex dengine damper "green" and the J's Racing damper "orange" both made from Mr.ALex but different branded names Ingalls has a Blue one but not out yet. ;)

STP03BlueSI
03-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Anyone know if it will work with the Neuspeed upper brace?

SONIC SI
03-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Well the only one the show on AJ Racing is the one for the RSX. That one you have to drill I want the EP specific one.

Mighty_Mouse
03-31-2004, 09:11 AM
I got mine from pole position when they had the group buy.

fishboy
03-31-2004, 10:29 AM
i see the advantages and disadvantages for each as such...

motor mounts are cheap and do the job, but are hard to install and have vibration at idle.

engine damper is easy to install, works good, and looks neato, but is expensive and like any other shock it can blow and i'm not sure if the cheap engine dampers on ebay are the right size to use as replacements. :)

if i had access to someone who could help with the install i would have gone with motor mounts, but instead i went the easy route. i got my engine damper at pole. i like pole.