PDA

View Full Version : need advice and support thinking of crossin to the other side

Black 02 SI
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM
well i made the mistake of test driving a srt-4 the other day. they can get me a brand new one for less monthly payment than my si. what does everyone think? i really like my car, and hadn't thought about gettin rid of it. but i drive a lot and have 40k miles on it already. if i wait longer it will only go down in value. yur opinions would be great.

thanks,
dave

RMC22
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
You've got a few SIs in the family, there.
Less than the monthly for over 5 years? Where are you at financially on the SI? Look at those numbers and then look at what you want in a car. No one here can tell you about your financial status. That's for you to decide if it's worth it. Good luck ;)
My opinion for what it's worth...
What about a WRX? At least it's not a damn skittle. :cool:

Black 02 SI
03-08-2004, 05:37 PM
bunch of my friends have wrx's and i dont feel like destroying trannys left and right. financially i can get whatever i want, but i dont feel like spending 30k on lancer or a sti. like i said i love my si, but i am impressed with the srt-4, and every year i get a new car(due to the mileage). just looking for some opinions.

evilep3
03-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by RMC22

My opinion for what it's worth...
What about a WRX? At least it's not a damn skittle. :cool: I agree it is up to you but if I had the choice i would keep the EP or go for the WRX if at all possible..
IMHO you have a nice car any way ya go!
let us know what ya decide! :)

RMC22
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
So you like the EP.
I'm assuming you don't like the Neon.. you like the SRT-4.
Have you considered turbo? Less money (face it, 50k miles, you'll be lucky to get like 12-13000 as it sits). Maybe some new seats and wheels and you got a whole new car. ;)

Although it seems to be great bang for the buck, I can't wait until next year. Just to hear about how the cars are holding up.

edit: please refrain from all comments that go something along the lines of "But an SRT is a Neon!"

plpong893
03-08-2004, 06:02 PM
srt4 are very nice... i also test drove one be4 the si...called my insurance and it was twice as much so i got an si, my first choice was the srt them things are FAST. i would say srt 4 and im prolly gonna get flammed for this

RMC22
03-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I've got a compromise.

You like the EP.. but you want more performance and a new car...

::drum roll::

The automatic car selector has chosen:

RSX Type S.

:D

evilep3
03-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
I've got a compromise.

You like the EP.. but you want more performance and a new car...

::drum roll::

The automatic car selector has chosen:

RSX Type S.

:D not really on the list but it is between the si and the wrx, and it isnt a neon so I second that vote RSX-S

SubliminalSi
03-08-2004, 06:44 PM
just get the srt4, i would if i were you...

TheMutt
03-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Sorry but Ima be the first I guess to say go with the srt-4.
I'm not blindly loyal to honda, love them, but I can say that if you can pay less monthly for a stock turbo car to do it. Turbo and a warranty! Cant beat that.

BlasTech
03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Why not just restore and turbo the CRX? For less money it will probably go faster and handle better. :D

2.0L Monster
03-08-2004, 06:53 PM
You can beat a turbo and a warrenty. You can get a V8 and a warrenty. :D

Stoop
03-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Just remember, if you get ANY type of Neon, you'll always be associated with this:
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/8F/EB/30672015-bd7d-0064005F-.jpg

From your signiture, it looks like you've always been a Honda man. Do the right thing and at LEAST stay in the Honda family by getting an RSX Type S.;)

Black 02 SI
03-08-2004, 07:38 PM
the crx was type r powered and i sold it :( dumbest thing i ever did. if i get the srt-4 i will still have my 2000 si, and i will always love hondas. however like many have said it will be cheaper and have a factory turbo. i dunno gotta run some final number and see how much insurance is going to be. i wouldn't get the type s i don't think, cause it's not way better than an si(it's nice, but not tooo much faster) i dunno gotta think about things, i also like the s2000's. all i know is i want to get a new car i have the fever :)

thanks for all yur comments,
dave

evilep3
03-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by StoopSi
Just remember, if you get ANY type of Neon, you'll always be associated with this:
I know i should ease up because the SRT is a nice car and yes it is FAST. but, after meeting this neon owner that has tried to clean his piston heads by spraying water from a garden hose in his throttle body....:rolleyes:

do you really want to be associated with neons.org ?

evilep3
03-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
i dunno gotta think about things, i also like the s2000's. all i know is i want to get a new car i have the fever :)

thanks for all yur comments,
dave

now you're talking!! :D

civicSIracer
03-08-2004, 07:57 PM
get the srt.. you wont be dissapointed...

BlackSi613nin
03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
srt-4 is very fast, very american, very unreliable..

joHn

HondCivc91
03-08-2004, 10:28 PM
srt-4 is very fast, very american, very unreliable..

I agree. If you're one to put high mileage on a car, don't expect to be keeping the SRT-4 for a while. It's fast, but it's still a Neon, and still a Dodge. My family has been with Honda since the mid-80's, and brought MANY cars over 200k miles with minimal maintenance. We've also had relatives consistantly buy Dodge, and all had to replace them after 60-70k because they began placing good money over bad. Stick with Honda. If not, stick with import. As I always say about America.... love the country, hate the sh*t we make. It's literally all garbage throw-out cars. People use 'em for a while then throw them out. Hondas are seriously built to last, and they've always had that reputation.

Welp, that's just my two cents.

ATRIOT
03-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I say you Lease it and drive the piss outta it then give it back in a couple of years. Yeah Honda's are reliable, but who's going to keep their civic for 5 years + ? Trust me, either you guys will be bored of it by then, or the "project" will be completed and it'll be time to move on.

Black 02 SI
03-08-2004, 10:40 PM
i cant possibly lease a car. i put waaaay to many miles on them. i think i want a new car cause i have had about 10 little stupid shit things break on my car lately and i'm gettin pissed. i have really only owned honda's. maybe a good washing and the meet on the 13th will get me thinkin straight. :) either way i am going to get the exact numbers before i make my decision 100%.

icegrill
03-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by StoopSi

From your signiture, it looks like you've always been a Honda man. Do the right thing and at LEAST stay in the Honda family by getting an RSX Type S.;)

I love that picture. Who cares if it's fast it's still American and will look like shit down the road.

civicSIracer
03-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
I say you Lease it and drive the piss outta it then give it back in a couple of years. Yeah Honda's are reliable, but who's going to keep their civic for 5 years + ? Trust me, either you guys will be bored of it by then, or the "project" will be completed and it'll be time to move on.
best idea yet, but they always fuck you in a lease..

oogy-boogy
03-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Wow....3 Honda's to an Srt? I think you just have spring fever. Buy a mod and you'll be happy. JRSC, Cybernation, etc. :)

But, if you like it, go for it. They're quick and cheap. I've been in one so far and was impressed.

I'm just a Honda fan....I had the chance to get something else last fall (you know why) and just kept my EP. I don't regret it one bit. :D

BarracksSi
03-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
.... Honda's are reliable, but who's going to keep their civic for 5 years + ?

Depends on the owner, of course. I kept my first one ('86 DX hatch) for 5 years (1990-95), and would have kept it longer if it didn't get the shit beat out of it by a woman running a red light. The '86 Si I found as a replacement was my ride until I bought the EP in mid-2002.

I foresee keeping my EP until 2010, at least. But that's just me.

Siman
03-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I am gonna TRY to cross to the other side SOON.....I am talking about a Mark. 3 supra, with the potent 7m-gte inline 6 turbo, basically the prequill to the 1jz and 2jz motors...800whp is a capable number, most of them with the 7m motors run 400+ whp!

they are cheap to modify, RWD, inline 6 turbo roar! But they are 3500 lbs....i would reduce the weight though hehehehe.....thats my future car...;)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/463369

also, scroll down to view the video of his car on the dyno!!!:eek:

Black 02 SI
03-09-2004, 07:46 PM
well i've made my decision. i am going to keep the si. i have had a lot of them in the past and they are great cars. bottom line the srt-4 is still a neon like everyone says and i doubt it would make it past 80k miles def not 100k with the way i drive cars. i am not a big chrysler fan, and will never be a big domestic person. imports all the way. i'm not gonna let a few stupid little things(all which were replaced under warranty) turn me away from the cars i love. after i pay this car off i am going to buy a S2000 for a fun weekend car.

blanblu
03-09-2004, 07:54 PM
well i've made my decision. i am going to keep the si. i have had a lot of them in the past and they are great cars. bottom line the srt-4 is still a neon like everyone says and i doubt it would make it past 80k miles def not 100k with the way i drive cars. i am not a big chrysler fan, and will never be a big domestic person. imports all the way. i'm not gonna let a few stupid little things(all which were replaced under warranty) turn me away from the cars i love. after i pay this car off i am going to buy a S2000 for a fun weekend car.

attaboy!!! :D

esmith13
03-09-2004, 08:21 PM
And when you get the S2000 and have a reliable warrantied car - Stage IV the shit outta the EP :D :D :D

Eric

BlackSi613nin
03-09-2004, 08:22 PM
good choice!!
glad u had some sence talked into ya!
lol

joHn

adrew
03-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Have y'all seen this? Mopar has three kits for the SRT-4...

http://www.mopar.com/perf_srt.htm

Stage 1 - 240hp, 260 lb/ft - $399! - includes new injectors and reflashed computer

Stage 2 - 265hp, 280 lb/ft
Stage 3 - 300hp, 280 lb/ft

Make sure to read about the "Turbo Toys" on the Stage 2 page. Pretty cool stuff from the factory, especially from Dodge.

SIxtasy
03-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Its funny cause no one pointed out that you drive a hella lot........ and the SRT4 doesn't have Cruise control. I realised that after a year with the EP, that I can't have a car without CRuise(30K in a year). Just my 02 cents.....

Black 02 SI
03-10-2004, 05:00 AM
eh, i don't really use it. i didn;t have it in my crx(or power steering, clutch, windows, lock, etc.) and i hardly ever use it in my 2000 or my 2002. i like to be in control. but that is kind of stupid that it doesn't come with it and it has manual windows in the back. i guess they had to keep the cost down somehow.

Dunrick
03-10-2004, 08:42 AM
srt-4 will eatup a s2k. seems like you like to drag race...

I would say just get the srt-4. Get stage II turbo and factory warrenty.

FurY
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM

good to hear! :)

2.0L Monster
03-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Consumer reports says that American cars are more reliable than European cars. First time in like 10 years.

EP3_DC5
03-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Get the SRT-4. Very fast, the motors are very strong. To the people that think the SRT-4 is unreliable, boy are you wrong. The stock motor is bulletproof. It comes stock with over 240whp and LSD for the 04 models, great suspension, great brakes, tires. It's the best bang for your buck you can get. I say DEFINATELY do it. IMO it is too boy racerish for me. I asked if my gf would consider trading her SI in for an SRT-4 and she said not in a million years. That's why everyone is different. Just do what you feel is right, screw what anyone else says. =)

02SilverSiHB
03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
well i made the mistake of test driving a srt-4 the other day. they can get me a brand new one for less monthly payment than my si. what does everyone think? i really like my car, and hadn't thought about gettin rid of it. but i drive a lot and have 40k miles on it already. if i wait longer it will only go down in value. yur opinions would be great.

thanks,
dave
if monthly payment is the biggest deal..which means saving money...don't forget the bigger insurance bill and the less gas mileage and maintenace required for that car.

But if money isn't the big deal and you want something that hits 14's easy and can get into the 12's with some easy upgrades...then get it.
But don't get one with the wing..I hate the wings on those cars.

Echelon
03-10-2004, 08:25 PM
i know how u feel about the feaver to get a new car, i've had my current car for not even 6 months and i'm already gettin ready to go ahead and get the si, this will be my 4th car in not even 2 years (my 1st 2 died, and my 00' 3.8 mustang i've already hooked up with i/h/e, and a rebuilt head with new aluminum pistons and clutch255hp and am tradin it to my mom, yes my mom haha , so she'll buy me the si) granted i could always take my moms 1965 olds cutlass f85 with 390whp i'd rather go with the si :)

but about american cars---they only last if u keep up the maintainence on them and treat em right, my 2 cars that died were hondas, and my mom thinks i'm nuts for wantin another 1

my accords engine blew up

and my friend took my prelude out for a spin and redlined on all the gears and when i got it back all my hoses had ruptured and my clutch was blown and transmission was shot...good friend eh?

Exit117K20
03-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Forget about the SRT-4 being a neon for a second and just look at it as American. I still wouldn't want it for that reason alone. And ya know what, it's still a NEON anyway (i.e. roll down rear windows). They may be fast but you need more out of a car than speed. I say go with a 6 speed accord. Just my $0.02.