PDA

View Full Version : how do you wash your engine?

BlackSi613nin
03-09-2004, 02:27 PM
how do you wash your engine compartment, i herd that water will end up hurting it by drying out everything? how does everyone do it? also , i have a CAI, would that be a problem.?
neone got a dIY>

joHn

Peking
03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by BlackSi613nin
how do you wash your engine compartment, i herd that water will end up hurting it by drying out everything? how does everyone do it? also , i have a CAI, would that be a problem.?
neone got a dIY>

joHn

I use Simple Green and water (one part Simple Green, three parts water). Since I have a SRI, I cover that with a plastice bag. Then have at it. Then dry quickly, no problems. Any water will be gone after the car is running.

AkronSi
03-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Like Peking said, but I use Meg's APC+ (All Purpose Cleaner +), diluted 4:1.

I make sure the engine is cool enought to touch (if the engine is cold let it warm up for a few minutes).

Then I either use the spray on and wipe off method without water (good for touch-ups). Or, I spray the engine with water, spray with the cleaner and agitate with towels, etc... and then hose off. Start the car to help the engine dry, although if you have a leaf blower that will really help. Then I make sure that I dress all the hoses, belts and other plastic stuff with some sort of dressing (303, etc...).

Area51SI
03-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, I have a completly different way of cleaning my engine, and have done it to all my previous Civic's with no problem so here it goes.

Leave you engine running....spray down with simple green...let sit of a minute or two...and then while the engine is still running, hose off with water. (Just make sure you dont douse water on the fuse box, battery, other etc stuff)...The water wont hurt anything...just use common sense.

Anyhow, after you wash the simple green off, take the car for a spin to get off any extra water...pop the hood, dry up any pools of water, and then for the finale, spray with Armorol (spelling) and wipe down...your engine will be looking good as new

BlackSi613nin
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
thanks ill have to try this when i get back home from vacation..

joHn

redronin22
03-20-2004, 06:11 AM
things you must cover ? =
battery
fuse box
.... please fill a newb in

ViViDPeArL
03-20-2004, 09:50 AM
i use a semi wet rag...

http://revrcshop.com/pictures/InstalledBallast02.jpg

works fine...

k20hatch
03-20-2004, 10:08 AM
I use a tank and compressor for air..i use the air fitting to blow all the dust and little bits of gravel off. Then i shine it up with This no shine treatment i got from a car dealership i used to work for.

03CivicSi
04-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I like his way best... :)

Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
i use a semi wet rag...

http://revrcshop.com/pictures/InstalledBallast02.jpg

works fine...

SiR_d1
04-15-2004, 01:43 PM
I power wash it. I literally soak every little nook and cranny in the engine bay. But I try not to focus too much water into the battery and valve/spark plug cover. They're JDM and I dont want the paint to chip

ViViDPeArL
04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
I power wash it. I literally soak every little nook and cranny in the engine bay. But I try not to focus too much water into the battery and valve/spark plug cover. They're JDM and I dont want the paint to chip

might as well push your car into a lake

SiR_d1
04-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
might as well push your car into a lake

dont knock it till you try it!

when you get you car professionally detailed, they do the same thing.

johnnydanger
04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
i use simple green on the vitals and then hose it off... i then use cd-2 engine detail spray after the engine drys... spray it on the engine, all the rubber, etc. then let the engine run for a few minz with the hood shut for a few minz also... turn off the car,pop the hood, wipe off any excess in the engine bay and it'll look brand new... :D

BlackSi613nin
04-15-2004, 02:22 PM
i think ill try this, sounds good.. but i wanna get a jdm/silver plug cover/and fuel rail cover thing. cuz my stock painted red one is lookin gaudy now...

joHn

spookyoen
04-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Powerwashing your engine bay is NOT what detailers do during a detail. If anything, they steam clean, but most just do it by hand. Don't try to take the easier way out by using a hose or powerwasher, just use a wet rag and a little elbow grease (that means EFFORT for any slackers out there). Finish it up with your dressing of choice if you want that extra shine...I prefer 1000 Island.

SiR_d1
04-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by spookyoen
Powerwashing your engine bay is NOT what detailers do during a detail. If anything, they steam clean, but most just do it by hand. Don't try to take the easier way out by using a hose or powerwasher, just use a wet rag and a little elbow grease (that means EFFORT for any slackers out there). Finish it up with your dressing of choice if you want that extra shine...I prefer 1000 Island.

yes they do

ViViDPeArL
04-20-2004, 03:36 PM
1000 island on the motor? wonder how that woulud taste...hmm

fatathaland
06-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Please do not soak your engine. I have ruined an oxygen sensor by doing that. It cost about $200 to replace.

Light water is fine. Use a rag... and a toothbrush for the small places. It'll look better in the end!