PDA

View Full Version : Great News

bgsteve523
03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
OK Guys I had to say something I am just too excyted now. I just ordered my greddy turbo kit and it will be here Monday!!!!!

OK now my question
I am not going to do an I/C yet prob in like a year or so. Do I need to send my E-man to get it reprogramed? What are my choices for a bov and what else do I need to buy? Gauge? BOV? Bov flange? ohh and I have Hondata already so I am going to send then the e-manage with my ESU right after I get the kit in the mail as long as I do not need to send it to greddy first. Please any input is good this is going to be my first boosted car! Can't wait!
Thanks Again,
Steve
:D

esmith13
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, I'll leave the details to a GReddy kit owner, as i don't know enough about them myself...

However, since you mentioned being new to turbocharged cars i will leave you with two pointers/recommendations.

1) get a boost guage and an A/F guage. A beginner that dosen't know how to tell when an engine is ready to go BOOM from boost will need these as an early warning indicator of problems...

2) except an important fact - You will have to re-learn how to drive the car. There are certain things that will change with a turbo, fundamentally. Mostly - when the car is in full boost, being heavy footed is safer than light footed. Being light footed could cause a lean condition high up in the RPMs, especially in higher gears when the engine is under more load.

There are many more basics you will pick up on your own. I just thought those two were important enough to mention up front.

Congrats on your purchace. The GReddy kit will make you happy. Enjoy it and tell us how u like it! ;)

Eric

ep_nezay
03-09-2004, 07:15 PM
1)No need to send your emanage to Greddy, as there is no new program out for it without an IC.

2)Yes, a boost gauge is very important, you dont want to over-boost. Thats pretty much what you "need" for gauges.

3)If you are going to get a BOV, you need the flange for it. As far as brands, Im using the Greddy Type S, but there are other brands available.

4)For hondata, you might want to check first about you not using an IC, when the program was tested/tuned, I was using an IC.

Check out my thread that I have made in this forum for further Q's,updates and troubleshooting.

Congrats on your purchase

bgsteve523
03-09-2004, 07:26 PM
well thank you guys very much for all of the info.
I am wondering if it is ok to run the basic hondata flash that I have now with the greddy kit? I know it says use at your own risk but I wonder? If any one know's anything please let me know. Ohh I am going to get the air/fuel and boost gauge and the greddy bov. Any of you guys know where I can get a nice looking gauge pod for just two gauge's? All the nice one's are for three not two. Well thank you again and I will let you know how everything goes.
Thanks,
Steve :D

bgsteve523
03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
ohhh one more thing eric you are in NJ right? You know of a shop to do the install that is honest and cheap?

ep_nezay
03-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bgsteve523

1)I am wondering if it is ok to run the basic hondata flash that I have now with the greddy kit?
2)Ohh I am going to get the air/fuel and boost gauge and the greddy bov.
Steve :D

1)No, do not use it. Reflash it.

2)IMO, you dont need an air/fuel gauge, due to their accurateness.
But I have a brand new C/F aatuometer one if you still want one that I can sell you:)

bgsteve523
03-09-2004, 08:05 PM
so just a boost gauge is fine with greddy kit running everything stock except the ESU which will be the greddy hondata flash?
Thanks,
Steve

esmith13
03-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I know a place in jersey. tey did my install for the CN kit with no instructions!! They have been building turbo'd hondas and acuras for years and the do engine block work too. I live in PA tho just for the record... They are 30 min. into NJ from Philadelphia. Blackwood, NJ I believe. i will get u there info and post it here.

They charged me $600 to install my kit and paint/coat my piping.

CN kit was a more involved install, so yours should be cheaper. in my case i dropped off the car one Sat afternoon and got it back the following Sat.

Eric

ep_nezay
03-10-2004, 02:51 AM
so just a boost gauge is fine with greddy kit running everything stock except the ESU which will be the greddy hondata flash?
Thanks,
Steve

Yes, you should be fine with just a boost gauge. On the other hand, with out a boost controller you will not be able to increase boost, so you might want to condiser that.
Once again, check with Hondata and make sure its ok to run their reflash with-out an IC.

bgsteve523
03-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I talked to Hondata and they said you should have a I/C but not nessary so ill sport it with out for a little untill I save for an I/C. Now on the boost controler thats only needed to change boost levels right? So if I want to keep stock levels untill I get an I/C I can get it latter right? Also do I need a turbo timer?
Thank again,
Steve

ep_nezay
03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
1)I talked to Hondata and they said you should have a I/C but not nessary so ill sport it with out for a little untill I save for an I/C. 2) Now on the boost controler thats only needed to change boost levels right?3) So if I want to keep stock levels untill I get an I/C I can get it latter right?4) Also do I need a turbo timer?
Thank again,
Steve

1)Yea, thats what I thought since my car was tested with an IC, but I wasnt 100%sure.

2)Correct.

3)Correct.

4)You dont "need" one, its just convenient.

esmith13
03-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Steve,

Here's the info for the shop that did my install.

Sparks Performance Automotive
5321 Rt. 42 South
Turnersville, NJ 08012

Phone# 856-228-6801

Tell him the guy with the turbo in the new Si sent ya.
The person you want to speak to is Harry. He's a cool dude and knows his shit. He did my cybernation install with no instructions at all and only had to call CN for wiring instructions on their custom Black Magic chip. When it comes to Hondas/Acuras he is the man!

Eric

bgsteve523
03-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Eric,
Thanks for the shop info you are the man Ill call him as soon as the kit gets to my house. Quick question you said a couple of days ago I will need to re learn how to drive my si? What did you mean by that? Is it bad to baby it because thats what I do now I beat her every once and a while but most of the time I baby her.
Thanks for eveything,
Steve