PDA

View Full Version : JDM cat-back exhaust

dustinhurley
03-10-2004, 01:20 PM
This is just a heads up to some. As most of us will agree, JDM exhaust manufacturers simply make the best products. On occasion not the best power gains, and definately not the best price. However, the quality of the materials, welds, etc. are next to none. The problem we all face is these JDM exhausts do not fit the USDM EP. The midpipe is too short, and the midpipe mount is at a bit of an angle. The pic illustrates the differences in length and angle.
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/85/DB/21108613-071c-01F4015A-.jpg

There are basically 3 ways to make a JDM cat-back fit a USDM EP3.

1) Have your local muffler shop cut off the rear mount of the cat and weld in an extension. The extension should be about 4" long and also be at an angle.
Cost: ~$75 in my area
Advantage: cheap
Disadvantage: permanently modifies stock cat, so you can't put the stock exhaust back on.

2) Purchase a used exhaust manifold and downpipe/cat off of an RSX-S. The exhaust manifold bolts directly to the engine and the JDM exhaust bolts directly to the cat. No modification required.
Cost: $80-$150 depending on miles and how much owner wants
Advantage: easy, no permanent modifications, and sets you up to use any "shorty" header available for the K20A2 motor
Disadvantage: might cost more

3) Purchase any race header for a RSX-S. May need to extend the O2 sensor wires, and you'll need O2 simulators to rid of CELs.
Cost: $500-$1,000 depending on which race header
Advantage: makes the most power
Disadvantage: very expensive, more than likely pretty loud, not street legal

dustinhurley
03-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I personally went with the second option. I got a slightly used exhaust manifold and downpipe/cat off Ebay for about $80 shipped. It's hooked up to a Fujitsubo Legalis-R cat-back. Some are skeptic about the midpipe diameter on some of the JDM exhausts being too big. But, my set up feels great. I still have plenty of low end torque and top end power is definately noticable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that stock and aftermarket exhaust manifolds and downpipes made for the CTR and ITR will bolt right up as well. For example, my next set up might be a used stock DC5-R header hooked up to a Spoon downpipe. Which is essentially a race header, but a little bit cheaper.

SpoonEP3
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
i want the dc-5 itr axle back.... how much.....

dustinhurley
03-10-2004, 08:30 PM
You would probably be the first to attempt it. I have no idea what the cost would be, and I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to get just an axle back. Only DC5-R exhaust sales I've seen are for the entire exhaust system, manifold back, and for big bucks. Also, I would think that the axle back for a DC5 chassis would not bolt up to an EP chassis, especially with USDM midpipe. If you find a good deal though, its worth a shot. The best thing to do is find good pictures and compare before you go spending your money.

tsa1
03-14-2004, 11:37 PM
i've seen some dc5r mufflers for like 260 i think, check jdmhondaparts or w/e its called now lol

JMI
03-15-2004, 05:02 AM
I have the CTR cat back and the header. It's all going on my car next weekend with my k20a swap. The end game is to have race header and larger catback system, so it will be forsale on a moth or two.

Derek :)

Low Rider
03-15-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
This is just a heads up to some. As most of us will agree, JDM exhaust manufacturers simply make the best products. On occasion not the best power gains, and definately not the best price. However, the quality of the materials, welds, etc. are next to none. The problem we all face is these JDM exhausts do not fit the USDM EP. The midpipe is too short, and the midpipe mount is at a bit of an angle. The pic illustrates the differences in length and angle.
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/85/DB/21108613-071c-01F4015A-.jpg

There are basically 3 ways to make a JDM cat-back fit a USDM EP3.

1) Have your local muffler shop cut off the rear mount of the cat and weld in an extension. The extension should be about 4" long and also be at an angle.
Cost: ~$75 in my area
Advantage: cheap
Disadvantage: permanently modifies stock cat, so you can't put the stock exhaust back on.

2) Purchase a used exhaust manifold and downpipe/cat off of an RSX-S. The exhaust manifold bolts directly to the engine and the JDM exhaust bolts directly to the cat. No modification required.
Cost: $80-$150 depending on miles and how much owner wants
Advantage: easy, no permanent modifications, and sets you up to use any "shorty" header available for the K20A2 motor
Disadvantage: might cost more

3) Purchase any race header for a RSX-S. May need to extend the O2 sensor wires, and you'll need O2 simulators to rid of CELs.
Cost: $500-$1,000 depending on which race header
Advantage: makes the most power
Disadvantage: very expensive, more than likely pretty loud, not street legal

...or you could just buy a T1R b-pipe!!!;)

Siman
03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I went with a 2.25 midpipe, replacing the resonator with a straight pipe and adding a HKS hiper universal muffler.....OMG it sounded sooooo goood....until i ran over a concrete parking block at subway...

know i just replaced the muffler with a ES' tuning oval muffler from JHPUSA.com it sounds like fujitsubo for goodness sakes, but it doesnt have that distinct sound from the HKS muffler:(