PDA

View Full Version : 1st legitimate newbie thread...I think

quincy04si
03-10-2004, 03:35 PM
So...

I noticed the other threads in the newbie sections were just making fun of typical newbie questions, so let me be the first to ask a real question (or two or three).

Let me start off by saying that I'm pretty new to the scene and a late bloomer.My 04 Si is the first new car I've ever owned and I love it.

So, spring is fast approaching here in New England and my tax return should be coming in soon, so I was thinking about getting some new wheels to replace the stockies.

I think I want to get some 17s instead of the 16s I have now.

I share the car with my fiance, so I want to keep the same wheel aspect as to not screw too much with the speedometer, and I want summer tires that aren't going to drive like total crap in wet weather. I also would rather have tires that don't wear too too quickly. I would like to get sportier tires but I don't need anything ultra high performance. I know it's a lot of demands, any suggestions?

Also, to keep the same wheel ratio should I go for 205/50/17 or 215/45/17? I don't plan on dropping the car so I thought the 50's might fill up just a little more space. I actually don't think the wheel gap is too bad on the 04 with the 16s it comes with.

Any suggestions for a newb?

andy
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the board.

How much do you want to spend on wheels/tires? I'd say go for a good
all season Bridgestone (do they still make the S-03s?) or Michelin
Pilots if you want a good set of all-season tires. There's a few
threads in the "Suspension" forum that have some good info on what
tires are good for what situation. Browse through there (I would
say SEARCH, but you seem like a good n00b ;) ).

I want to say 205/50s will keep you close to your rolling diameter,
but that's the case with going from 15->16, so I'm not sure about
16->17. Where's that wheel diameter chart when I need it...hold on...

Eh, here's a decent tire size conversion thing. (http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm)

phatfreeza
03-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by andy
Welcome to the board.

How much do you want to spend on wheels/tires? I'd say go for a good
all season Bridgestone (do they still make the S-03s?) or Michelin
Pilots if you want a good set of all-season tires. There's a few
threads in the "Suspension" forum that have some good info on what
tires are good for what situation. Browse through there (I would
say SEARCH, but you seem like a good n00b ;) ).

I want to say 205/50s will keep you close to your rolling diameter,
but that's the case with going from 15->16, so I'm not sure about
16->17. Where's that wheel diameter chart when I need it...hold on...

Eh, here's a decent tire size conversion thing. (http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm)

what he said... yes, bridgestone does make the s-03s but they wear down pretty fast as they are high performance tires... the pilots are a good choice too. 215/45/17 sounds good, you might want to look into 225's... i'm sure others will chime in here too :)

welcome!

CaTiRo
03-11-2004, 11:49 AM
you don't like the new 16s ... they are a big improvement over the 15s on the 2002 and 2003 eps.

quincy04si
03-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CaTiRo
you don't like the new 16s ... they are a big improvement over the 15s on the 2002 and 2003 eps.

I like the 16s, I just like 17s better ;)

DynaSpeed
03-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Here's a super cool Tire Calculator that I've been using for years. It has a graphic display of the size of the tire, and the percentage off that the speedo will be. Props to the Miata guys!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

oogy-boogy
03-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Hmm....well, seeing as though you're another MA driver like myself why don't you keep the stockies for the winter and get a great set of summer tires for the 17's? It seems to make more sense and will allow you to get a better summer tire. It's easier to switch the rims for the seasons and a more sensible approach to your pocket as each set of your tires will only spend part of the year on the road.

quincy04si
03-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Hmm....well, seeing as though you're another MA driver like myself why don't you keep the stockies for the winter and get a great set of summer tires for the 17's? It seems to make more sense and will allow you to get a better summer tire. It's easier to switch the rims for the seasons and a more sensible approach to your pocket as each set of your tires will only spend part of the year on the road.

Yeah that's totally my plan, I guess I didn't word my original post clear enough. I said:

Originally posted by quincy04si
I want summer tires that aren't going to drive like total crap in wet weather

Anyway I think I'm going to go more for a grand touring tire rather than a super high performance, so the ride will be a little more comfortable and I'll have less wear. After some research I think I'm going to buy the Kumho Ecsta KH11 as opposed to something like the 712s.

I think I'm going to go for the 205/50 tire rather than the 215/45s because they have just a little more tire to them and the pot holes are horrible here in Quincy. Am I wrong in doing this? opinions?

Mickey
03-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Try to go to yahoo.com and check tire plus sizing, you should be able to see what tire size to use not to mess up with your speedometer. I use 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3( PRETTY GOOD TIRES) Ultra High Performance Summer Tires.

KeNnYtAkEr
03-31-2004, 09:00 AM
The new superstreet is pretty good if u can still find the april edition. they have a list of all the new rims & tires on the market right now. ;)

DoMahMeGok
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey quincy04si what part of quincy do you live in?
I live in north quincy. and around me there are two other si's like 2houses away. maybe we can get a minimeet or something

quincy04si
03-31-2004, 10:50 PM
I live about a mile away from the Quincy Center Station near 3A.

I've only seen one Si in the area-- once I briefly saw a white si with a body kit, or at least just a modded rear bumper on 3A.

I'd be down to meet up sometime. I just started a second job so it might be tough to set a time though.

Hey, while i have you reading this-- I was thinking about buying rims at Pro-Spec, do you have any experience dealing with them? And also I just ordered a Renova wing that needs to be painted and installed--any suggestions on a good shop to use?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to modding, and a newbie to Quincy as well ( I just moved here a year ago). Any help is appreciated.

I'd definitley like to have a mini-meet sometime though. Maybe once I get a feel for my new work schedule and it gets a little nicer outside.

DoMahMeGok
04-01-2004, 07:26 PM
I personally have never bought stuff from prospec, but I know a few people that have and I don't believe they had any complaints. Also would you be interested in a 19mm sway bar for your ride?

and a place to get your wing painted try Biondi's, near Home Depot, not the quincy adams home depot the other quincy one, I think they can do a really good job if your willing to pay but otherwise they do a pretty decent job