PDA

View Full Version : Rust on the back of my seats!

R1/SiR
03-10-2004, 06:54 PM
I had the car at the dealer to install some trim pieces in the trunk. It looked fine when I left. Today I fold down the back seats and the fabric has slipped out of the grove on the back of the seat. This exposes the metal frame of the seat and there is RUST! on both seats. My car is and 02, with 17500km, how does a seat rust inside the car?

I'm on the way to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say, but that's weird. Who knows if it will get worse maybe compromise the integrity of the seat. I'll keep you guys updated on their lame excuse.

John

dchu
03-10-2004, 07:03 PM
I don't think the dealer is going to do anything for you. That's just the way it is. On my old '99 Civic, the seats rusted and so did the metal framing where the radio bolted down to. It's just a little surface rust and you'll prolly sell the car by the time things start falling apart anyway. :D

R1/SiR
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I agree the dealer won't do anything but rust inside? I live in Canada not the tropics. Humidity isn't that high. For me, I keep my Hondas, my last civic at 400,000km on it.

SoCaLep3
03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
what about rust on paint, i have rust on paint on the top part of the interior when u open the hatch, will dealers do nething for that?

ATRIOT
03-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by SoCaLep3
what about rust on paint, i have rust on paint on the top part of the interior when u open the hatch, will dealers do nething for that?

Hey !! I had a rust line developing there too! Yeah its been to the dealer twice, and twice they've sanded, painted and clearcoated over it but now its back again. It was covered under warrenty for me.

chartinael
03-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey if you want to get rid of the rear seat back rest (or just the head rests --- let me know.

Willign to trade for EDM EP3 backrest (w/o head rests and third three point seat belt)

kristin

Dunrick
03-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Its from passengers pissing their pants cause the epthraay is so fast

rook
03-13-2004, 03:59 PM
rear hatch is leaking. check for water in the spare tire well.

JBS02
03-13-2004, 07:27 PM
I too found rust on the raw metal, support brackets under the rear seats when searching for a creaking sound. Humidity and condensation are probably to blame. My car was less than a year old at the time. Civic is an economy car and Honda has to cut corners somewhere. Still, I was pretty disappointed to see it. Also starting to find rust on suspension members and bolts and such. Wish I didn't have to drive the EP in rain and snow.

R1/SiR
03-14-2004, 04:58 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses. The dealer said that due to condensation in the car rust will form on untreated metal. I'm still a believer that this could be a problem in the future and I had the dealer note this. In ten years when me seats collapse I'm covered! Yea right!!!

Sorry Kristin I'm going to keep the seats