PDA

View Full Version : JDM suspension parts

IIx 03 EP xII
03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
what are some good JDM brands that fit our EP's? i am looking into buying some strut bars, and i want to start getting good JDM brands because they are built better and they are just plain better, simple as that.

Tragedy
03-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Anything that's available in the Japan for the EP3 is available in the USA. Remember that Hondas are not at the top of the list of aftermarket companies because Hondas aren't too popular for modifying in Japan. The market for Honda performance parts in the USA is much bigger per capita than in Japan. The only EP3 Type-R guy I met out here had TODA FIGHTEX coilvers on his EP. I'm sure those aren't popular in the states, so if you want to be different, get those....that is, if you can afford them. I'm sure they don't come cheap.

IIx 03 EP xII
03-10-2004, 08:20 PM
im asking about strut bars... i already have springs and struts... i want some JDM strut bars. any suggestions anybody? money isnt too much of an issue really.

dustinhurley
03-10-2004, 08:22 PM
There is this company called Carbing. They make a a lot of really good, but affordable strut bars and such. They are super rare in the US market. I've been in contact with their guy in charge of foreign relations trying to find out more about their products and where to purchase them. But, he hasn't replied to my last message and that was about a month ago. I think he just got tired of trying to read/write English only to make one little sale. They basically have 2 types of strut bars. Type-1 is your basic bar, Type-2 attaches to the firewall. Either type is available in steel or aluminum and the steel bars are powdercoated white, which I find to be really sweet. For the EP they have front upper, rear upper, and rear lower bars, as well as a 6 point sub-frame brace. The only vendor I know of in the US is Password:JDM at www.passwordjdm.com. Their basic Type-1 steel (white) bar is only $130. Here is a pic.

https://passwordjdm.com/shop_image/product/CRBFTT1SEK.jpg

Mugen Power
03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Off hand, I know there are bars by Mr. Alex and Spoon Sports. I'm sure there are others.

dustinhurley
03-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I forgot to mention, most of the JDM bars require modifications in order to fit. Like Spoon and Carbing. The J's Racing/Mr. Alex bars do fit though. I think all you have to do is slightly move the fluid reserviors, but I don't know where to move them or whatnot. I haven't really looked at it much.

Civicvtec1ps
03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Cusco rear upper strut bar for dc5.
Stock CTR rear upper bar fits.
CTR rear sway bar (22mm) But I see that you have Progress setup already.
Mugen rear upper tie bar fits.

BlackSi613nin
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Cusco rear upper strut bar for dc5.

lol, you love that rear upper strut bar dont you!, almost every post ive seen (maybe just coincidence) has had that cuscu bar mensioned in it. does it really make that big of a difference? interested!! lol
just thought it was kinda funny...

joHn

IIx 03 EP xII
03-15-2004, 08:23 AM
is there a cusco front upper strut bar? cuz i dont want a rear one, i want a front one... will this fit on our car? help me out here.

jdmpwr
03-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Check this guy out www.hondawerx.com, He gets Mr. Alex, J's Racing and Spoon. The only bars that will fit the US Spec ep3 is either the Mr. Alex or the J's Racing, do to the master cylinder location in the US Spec's. You can reach him via AOL or AIM as hondawerx, or sales@hondawerx or call him at 1-618-203-7304.

IIx 03 EP xII
03-15-2004, 09:03 AM
im gonna go with the mr. alex front strut bar. it is still on sale at hondawerx i believe. for 160 shipped... it is not a bad deal at all i dont think. just waitin a week for my ebay auctions to end.:D

IIx 03 EP xII
03-17-2004, 09:12 AM
a fellow ephatcher told me he has the spoon front strut bar and it fits fine, to the best of his knowledge... does anybody else have this bar? cuz if they do, its the route im going... i will get the front AND rear SPOON strut bars. anybody?

Mugen Power
03-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I thought it was a pretty well-known fact that one of the reservoirs had to be moved in order for it to fit the USDM EP... How did your friend do it?

Low Rider
03-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Without modification:

- Mr. Alex front tower strut brace
- Spoon rear tower strut brace
- Mugen 25mm rear sway bar

;)

Mugen Power
03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
I know, but he said that his friend got the front Spoon bar to fit fine.

IIx 03 EP xII
03-17-2004, 09:44 AM
yeah, well k20a3si (or something similar) IM'd me on AIM last night and we were talking and he said he has the front and rear strut bars and they are SPOON! so i asked him if they fit right, and he will be sending me pictures within a week or so. if you look at pictures of the strut bar, it has a pretty significant bend in it, and to me it looks like it would clear anything, but maybe im wrong. but as soon as i see pictures of his, then im gonna order one.

jdmpwr
03-17-2004, 07:07 PM
spoon bar will not clear the master cylinder reservoir.

IIx 03 EP xII
03-19-2004, 09:13 AM
well, tony (k20a3si)... says he has it and says it is on his car... therefore i assume it fits?! he said he will have pics as soon as possible. and now that the mr. alex bar isnt on sale anymore, then if the spoon bar fits, then ill buy it, along with the rear one as well. no matter what, im getting front and rear strut bars, im just waiting to see if the spoon bar fits.

Mugen Power
03-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
well, tony (k20a3si)... says he has it and says it is on his car... therefore i assume it fits?! he said he will have pics as soon as possible. and now that the mr. alex bar isnt on sale anymore, then if the spoon bar fits, then ill buy it, along with the rear one as well. no matter what, im getting front and rear strut bars, im just waiting to see if the spoon bar fits.

Maybe he was one of the ones who moved the reservoir somewhere else because everyone else says that it won't just bolt on to the USDM EP. Even reputable sellers will tell you that, but I'm still interested to see how k20a3si did it.

03hatch
03-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
Without modification:

- Mr. Alex front tower strut brace
- Spoon rear tower strut brace
- Mugen 25mm rear sway bar

;)

spoon front lower strut fits and spoon rear lower fits too :D

Len-boy
04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I have a front spoon strut brace in my Type-R (JDM in championship white :D )
I needed to remount the break reserviour and extend the hosing to enable it leave clear room for the strut. I also had to use a spacer to lift the air-con pipe up where it would otherwise clash with the fixing bracket of the strut. I can go and take a pic but will need to mail it to someone to host (for some reason the company I use in the UK will not work when I post on this site?)

03silverEP
04-05-2004, 02:26 PM
JDM, USDM what's the difference? It's a piece of 36" metal w/ 3 holes at each end. Want the strongest bar possible... Buy 2 6"x6" pieces of 1/4" plate steel and a 36"x1/4" chrome moly tube. Next step weld, then spraypaint, now affix: type'R, honda, cusco, neuspeed, greddy, carbing, mr. alex, j's racing, spoon, mugen, hks, ractive, dc, comptech, or ebay sticker to your new bar.

"dad, are the name brand plastic forks better than the others?"

"hahaha, it's all about the packaging..."

tsarcasm
out.

Len-boy
04-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 03silverEP
JDM, USDM what's the difference? It's a piece of 36" metal w/ 3 holes at each end. Want the strongest bar possible... Buy 2 6"x6" pieces of 1/4" plate steel and a 36"x1/4" chrome moly tube. Next step weld, then spraypaint, now affix: type'R, honda, cusco, neuspeed, greddy, carbing, mr. alex, j's racing, spoon, mugen, hks, ractive, dc, comptech, or ebay sticker to your new bar.

"dad, are the name brand plastic forks better than the others?"

"hahaha, it's all about the packaging..."

tsarcasm
out.

Very constructive :rolleyes:

03silverEP
04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
well, it's just a metal bar w/holes in it. $20/$125/$250 for a metal bar w/holes in it, just caust the sticker says it's better......

Len-boy
04-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 03silverEP
well, it's just a metal bar w/holes in it. $20/$125/$250 for a metal bar w/holes in it, just caust the sticker says it's better......

So that means my car is just a metal box with wheels on it then!?!

Why didn't I just get a chepaer car and just stick a Type-R badge on it ;)

SpoonEP3
04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Tragedy
Anything that's available in the Japan for the EP3 is available in the USA. Remember that Hondas are not at the top of the list of aftermarket companies because Hondas aren't too popular for modifying in Japan. The market for Honda performance parts in the USA is much bigger per capita than in Japan. The only EP3 Type-R guy I met out here had TODA FIGHTEX coilvers on his EP. I'm sure those aren't popular in the states, so if you want to be different, get those....that is, if you can afford them. I'm sure they don't come cheap.

are you kidding me, i from from hong kong but my cousin, he is 22 and you just move to the u.s. from japan, and he drives a dc2 itr there and you says that they have more honda parts that you can think of... for strut bar alone in japan there are mugen, spoon, carbing, gab, cusco, rsr, sustec, jic, rigid, juran, fet sports, feelsj's racing, vision, zero-1000, dc sport, and back yard...... this is just the list that you gave me to buy the strut bar fron this companies because they all have a history.... in japan it is very popular to mod a honda, for this you don't even have to go to japan, just go and buy some hot version and best motoring videos, honda comes first, than skylines and toyotas, evo, than imprezas..... serious....

IIx 03 EP xII
04-28-2004, 06:36 PM
just to let yall know... i have the spoon front AND rear strut tower braces on my car.

dustinhurley
05-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
just to let yall know... i have the spoon front AND rear strut tower braces on my car.

Did they fit without modification?

Heitzke
05-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEP3
are you kidding me, i from from hong kong but my cousin, he is 22 and you just move to the u.s. from japan, and he drives a dc2 itr there and you says that they have more honda parts that you can think of... for strut bar alone in japan there are mugen, spoon, carbing, gab, cusco, rsr, sustec, jic, rigid, juran, fet sports, feelsj's racing, vision, zero-1000, dc sport, and back yard...... this is just the list that you gave me to buy the strut bar fron this companies because they all have a history.... in japan it is very popular to mod a honda, for this you don't even have to go to japan, just go and buy some hot version and best motoring videos, honda comes first, than skylines and toyotas, evo, than imprezas..... serious....

I don't know about your cousin, but i do know that Tragedy is in Japan as we speak, and i believe him.

Len-boy
05-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I've attached a pic of my spoon front strut installed in my JDM EP3. The brake reservoir needed moving forward and also the air-con pipe needed lifting up.
See pics:
http://len.fotopic.net/c88238.html
http://len.fotopic.net/c88238_13.html

Mugen Power
05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Len-boy, is that the Spoon aero wing arm on your wiper? How did you mount it? I asked a Spoon vendor and they said you'd have to drill into the arm and was wondering if that's true.

glw
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
i was thinking of getting the rear upper strut tower bar in the image below. any one know somewhere that sells it?

i was also wondering what the front chassis support is. the lower one is already on our usdm ep3's but what is the top one? and does anyone sell it?

http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/ctr_stb.gif

edit: what's up with the inline images.. broken again?

Len-boy
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
As far as I know the wiper Aero blade is the standard Type-R one - I would need to check though as my car was full of spoon goodies when it arrived from Japan ;)

GLW - Spoon do a rear strut brace - they acctually do all 3 that are shown on that diagram.

Here's a rough pic:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3081510&outx=600&oq=0

Len-boy
05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
As far as I know the wiper Aero blade is the standard Type-R one - I would need to check though as my car was full of spoon goodies when it arrived from Japan ;)

GLW - Spoon do a rear strut brace - they acctually do all 3 that are shown on that diagram.

Here's a rough pic:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3081510&outx=600&oq=0

Mugen Power
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Does the CTR really come with the aero wing? Huh... Can someone verify that because my wiper skips all the time and it only gets worse at higher speeds. I think one of those might help a bit.

glw
05-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Len-boy

Here's a rough pic:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=3081510&outx=600&oq=0 spoon=$$$$$$$$$$$

what about honda/ctr pieces? what are they called... the front one from the ctr picture doesn't look like a standard stb... where the spoon one does...

Len-boy
05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
GLW - I don't understand your question???

Mugen Power
05-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Len-boy, I've got another question for you. I thought that if you had a JDM Type R, you WOULDN'T have to rearrange anything for the Spoon bar but you said you did. Can someone explain???

glw
05-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by glw
spoon=$$$$$$$$$$$

what about honda/ctr pieces? what are they called... the front one from the ctr picture doesn't look like a standard stb... where the spoon one does...

GLW - I don't understand your question???
looking at the front picture,there are 2 bars up front. the lower one looks like its the same as the usdm ep3 "ROD, SUB-FRAME PERFORMANCE"and the other looks to me like it is some chassis reinforcement under the cowl area...

i'm not interested in the spoon/mugen stuff... i want to know about the honda/ctr parts. what are the 3 bars highlighted in the provided ctr pictures called and where can they be purchased?

edit: this site is sucking more and more... still can't post an image link from another site...

dofu
05-05-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by glw
looking at the front picture,there are 2 bars up front. the lower one looks like its the same as the usdm ep3 "ROD, SUB-FRAME PERFORMANCE"and the other looks to me like it is some chassis reinforcement under the cowl area...

i'm not interested in the spoon/mugen stuff... i want to know about the honda/ctr parts. what are the 3 bars highlighted in the provided ctr pictures called and where can they be purchased?

yea... the pic showing the front of the car has an upper strut bar highlighted, but the bar on the bottom isnt the lower tie bar...

edit: come to think of it, that doesnt look like a front strut bar either... it doesn't connect to the struts in the pic like the rear one does

Len-boy
05-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
Len-boy, I've got another question for you. I thought that if you had a JDM Type R, you WOULDN'T have to rearrange anything for the Spoon bar but you said you did. Can someone explain???

Yea - I was told that to!!!

Can't see how though because the brake reservoir is in the same place as the standard CTR.

Len-boy
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by glw

edit: this site is sucking more and more... still can't post an image link from another site...

I understand now. Look at this diagram and all will become clear.

http://len.fotopic.net/p4297188.html

Item 1: Side Frame Performance Rod
Item 2: DashBoard Upper Rods
Item 3: Rear Tower Bar Pipe

The exploded view underneath shows how it all connects.

Let me know if I can help further - I obviously don't know where you can get them other than at my local Honda dealer in London!!!

glw
05-06-2004, 07:48 PM
I understand now. Look at this diagram and all will become clear.

http://len.fotopic.net/p4297188.html

Item 1: Side Frame Performance Rod
Item 2: DashBoard Upper Rods
Item 3: Rear Tower Bar Pipe

The exploded view underneath shows how it all connects.

Let me know if I can help further - I obviously don't know where you can get them other than at my local Honda dealer in London!!!

len,

thanks!

what do the "dashboard upper rods" do? and how much do they cost there in london?

it looks like the "rear tower bar pipe" is made up of several separate parts. i need them all... how much do they cost there in london?

it looks like the usdm ep3 comes with the "side frame performance rod", but it's called the "sub-frame performance rod"...

is there a web site you use for the pictures/parts info?

Len-boy
05-07-2004, 04:58 AM
No website I'm afraid - but I do know someone who has the manual on CD - I think you can get them off ebay. It has all the diagrams etc. like that shown in my pic.

Not sure about costs - Honda are not that good at giving things like that away but normally they think of a price and then double it!!!

Bearing in mind that most parts are MUCH cheaper in the US than the UK I'm sure you'll get well stung imported from the UK.

If you want though try e-mailing:

sales@templehonda.co.uk

They are a local dealer to me.

Cheers - Len

Len-boy
05-07-2004, 04:59 AM
No website I'm afraid - but I do know someone who has the manual on CD - I think you can get them off ebay. It has all the diagrams etc. like that shown in my pic.

Not sure about costs - Honda are not that good at giving things like that away but normally they think of a price and then double it!!!

Bearing in mind that most parts are MUCH cheaper in the US than the UK I'm sure you'll get well stung imported from the UK.

sales@templehonda.co.uk

Cheers - Len

Len-boy
05-07-2004, 04:59 AM

sales@templehonda.co.uk

Cheers - Len

glw
05-07-2004, 05:56 PM

sales@templehonda.co.uk

Cheers - Len
thanks len! i'll stay on my search... at least i know what i'm looking for now.