PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

oompaloompab0i
03-13-2004, 04:58 PM
well, im selling my subs because they are too heavy and i want to go faster;) . but i still want my minivan to bump. so ive been thinking, what type of speakers (i wanna replace all of them, even tweaters) have good strong bass and high also, and will i have to amp it (i dont have aftermarket headunit but i have an in dash monitor)? or should i just buy boise speakers used from somewhere cuz i know they bump pretty good, and just attach to my monitor (or do i have to amp those?) ? please help...never done speaker replacement yet. thanks

skooba
03-13-2004, 05:01 PM
well I cant tell you waht to get, but I can tell you NOT to get infinity reference series if you are looking for bass. Why not just get a small 8 or 10 for the trunk.

Civicvtec1ps
03-13-2004, 05:12 PM
You won't be satisfied with speaker setup..
I hate my heavy infinity subs , but I am keeping them.
:angel:

oompaloompab0i
03-13-2004, 08:35 PM
i hate my subs that is why, they bump friggin nice but they are a biotch. i got no trunk space whatsoever, and when i race, i always gotta pull them in and out. i was in my girlfriend's 328 bimmer and she has stock boise speakers, and are friggin nice, strong bass too! i would be satisfied... could i get a hold of these without amping them or getting new head unit or what?

Speck
03-14-2004, 12:47 AM
After having subs in the back, there are no speakers that you could put in without also installing an amp to power them that you would be happy with. The Bose system sounds good because the system has a stock amplifer.

Since you are taking out the subs, I assume you have an amp that powered them still in the car. What model is the amp? I could recommend some speakers that can handle good power which you might like.

But, if you were to breakdown and get an amp, I would suggest the Kicker Resolution RS6 speakers. They had the most midbass/bass of all the speakers that I have owned.

-=speck=-

oompaloompab0i
03-14-2004, 11:57 PM
im selling the amp with the subs, but i have already bought another amp. it is a Jensen 300 watt 2 channel amp. first, is 300 watts enough for speakers? if it is only 2 channel, but i wanna change out all 4 speakers and maybe the two tweeters...can i do it? also can i get a hand of some bose speakers and just put those into my car? will it still bump on a stock head unit without an amp? sorry, im truly a newbie to audio stuff. please help...

dofu
03-15-2004, 04:47 AM
have you ever thought about a single sub set-up? less weight without sacraficing much bass... solo barraks seem to get the job done nicely, as long as you have enough juice for em.
btw... if you truly want good quality sound, get a deck and an amp... RCA kits dont cut it, and you will enjoy the sound from your speakers much more with an amp hooked up to em. but if you arent running stock deck, i think you should be fine without an amp depending on the speakers you buy... i currently have mb quartz components without extra juice, and they sound nice enough. but they did sound much nicer when they were hooked up to an amp tho.

oogy-boogy
03-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by dofu
have you ever thought about a single sub set-up? less weight without sacraficing much bass... solo barraks seem to get the job done nicely, as long as you have enough juice for em.
btw... if you truly want good quality sound, get a deck and an amp... RCA kits dont cut it, and you will enjoy the sound from your speakers much more with an amp hooked up to em. but if you arent running stock deck, i think you should be fine without an amp depending on the speakers you buy... i currently have mb quartz components without extra juice, and they sound nice enough. but they did sound much nicer when they were hooked up to an amp tho.

I agree on the single sub set-up. I'm running a set of amped MB Quart components up front, head unit powered midranges with no tweet in the rear and a single 10" Solobaric in the rear (small single sub hatch style box) all of of a 4 channel amp. I'm only running 75 x 2 rms for the components and ~150 rms bridged for the sub. It's accurate and there's plenty of bass. The best part of the whole set up is the lack of weight.

oompaloompab0i
03-15-2004, 06:04 PM
hmmm..well i think i get what your saying. im think im going to run with my tv headunit, and just amp 4 new speakers (because i already have the amp). what speakers are good now? and can anybody help me with a diy to install myself?

k20hatch
03-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Get the single sub set up...Get you a nice powerful and amp...Its a hatchback...it will still "bump"!

BarracksSi
03-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by oompaloompab0i
hmmm..well i think i get what your saying. im think im going to run with my tv headunit, and just amp 4 new speakers (because i already have the amp). what speakers are good now? and can anybody help me with a diy to install myself?

You're not going to be able to properly run the four mains with a single 2-channel amp. It'll end up with an odd resistance load, and you'll lose the fader function.

Here's what I'd do:
Run the rear speakers off the head unit;
Run the fronts off the amp (you'll have to find either a lower-powered amp or some REALLY strong speakers);
Run a single sub off the amp, bridged over the two channels.

Add bass blocker capacitors to the front & rear speakers, and add a low-pass coil to the sub.

The result will please 95% of anybody who listens, will not require many additional components, and will be lighter than most sub setups. You could even do well with a 2x50 or 2x75 watt amp running the fronts & the sub.

Or, since the amp is so strong, just use it for a single sub, and run the mains off a strong head unit. A HU with a dedicated sub output will be helpful in this case, too.

k20hatch
03-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Get one of these...

http://www.bazooka.com/productImages/229.jpg

Only kiddin!