PDA

View Full Version : Can you run a turbo with stock cpu.

SOMEONE
03-13-2004, 06:40 PM
i was having a debating with my friend about running a turbo with the stock cpu. or do you need hondata or another flash system in your car?

2k2SiAutoXer
03-14-2004, 06:33 AM
yes you need some aftermarket fuel management. The stock computer will not know what to do when it has all this extra air flowing into it.

--Tom

Boost Junkie
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by SOMEONE
i was having a debating with my friend about running a turbo with the stock cpu. or do you need hondata or another flash system in your car?

To run boost on the RSX and EP you will need either Black Magic or a Hondata Reflash. If the Stock ECU see's boost it will shut the car off.

SOMEONE
03-15-2004, 09:52 AM
when you talk after market fuel management what do you mean? fuel rail, pump? and how much does black magic run? and where can you get it?

Boost Junkie
03-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SOMEONE
when you talk after market fuel management what do you mean? fuel rail, pump? and how much does black magic run? and where can you get it?

What I mean is, with a forced induction setup you require more fuel, which mean larger injectors. The stock ECU cannot handle the larger injectors and the car will flood out. So you need a fuel management system, which can handle the new amount of tfuel, the system need.

Also the stock ECU cannot handle boost. It does not know what to do with it when the map sensor read a high value and it will shut the car down. So you will also need a system that can handle that.

You can get the Black Magic from Cybernation Motorsports along with the injectors that you will need for forced induction.

I hope that answers your questions.

Echelon
03-15-2004, 01:38 PM
i'm not up to date on my inspection information but if i go with cybernation's stage 2 (stage 1 if money is tight when i go to get it) kit, my vehicle would not pass the virginia state inspections due to no cat would it?

...this might be a problem b/c this is going to be my daily driver as well

tekgnosis
03-15-2004, 03:01 PM
yes, that would be a problem.

but...there are solutions for almost every problem.

an easy solution is to just stuff the cat further down the line with some fabrication skills. Then you can replace it with a straight pipe until you have to hit emmissions. Just weld on some flanges to the cat/straight pipe hole in the exhaust, and plug the straight pipe/cat into it :)

a local exhaust shop would do it for you for relatively cheap. it would be less than an hours work (theoretically), and it wouldn't use too much material.

Echelon
03-15-2004, 04:29 PM
wow thats a really good idea, haha thanks a lot,definately worth it so i can get the kit!

RockEP_SS**
03-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Very true. I drove my car when it wasn't flashed yet to modify my exhaust, and once I started boosting fuel would cut off.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA