PDA

View Full Version : GReddy Evo II Catback.. Installed today. For those about to buy an exhaust, read this

phantasia
03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
OMG. Lets give a little review. Out of the box, the GReddy Evo II Cat-Back was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. perfect polished stainless, looks like chrome. flawless welds, just beautiful. This sucker is huge also, the muffler/can is giant, and the tip.. you can put your whole fist in that sucker. beautiful engraved GReddy logo on both sides of tip, as well as a sweet logo on the bottom of the muffler.

Install. took about an hour/hour and a half, working at a leisurely pace. no big deal.

Take it off the jacks/stands, clean up the tools and start her up..

wow. sound is gorgeous. very deep, low and soft. my ep sounds like very porsche like. at idle, you can barely hear the car, sounds similar to stock with only a slight hint of BASS in the idle. sounds nice. took her for a test spin, wow.. soo quiet. my K&N typhoon is a helluva lot louder than this exhaust. power gains? feels like a kick in the ass of the ep when you hit vtec. you will definitely feel the gains. there is more power through out the powerband, power you can feel, but especially when you hit vtec, its awesome. all the while, the exhaust is quiet, soft and low. it sounds really sexy and sweet. not ricey or cheap, AT ALL. very expensive sounding.

more fun: crusing tonight with the homies. interior level of exhaust is really soft and quiet. on the highway, you can barely hear it. windows down or up. you hear it when you go thru a tunnel or an overpass, or the mall parking garage, and it sounds great and low. when you get on it, again, you hear the intake a lot more than the exhaust. all the while, you feel some very sweet power gains.

overall, i would have to say, if youre looking for a great sounding, beautiful looking and great performing, quiet exhaust, look no further than the GReddy Evo II. its worth every penny.

soo happy.

RacingCivicSi02
03-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Thats exactly how i felt when i saw and tested out. You'll love the exhaust man. The only part i hate is having the midpipe hang to low.

chubbychu
03-14-2004, 01:06 AM
did you just replace the stock muffler with this?

YooShin
03-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for. you've reconfirmed my choice of exhuast. I'm hoping to order mine in the next 2-3 weeks.

Civicvtec1ps
03-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Where did you order it?
Cheapest place was Ebay so far.

phantasia
03-14-2004, 08:43 PM
i ordered the exhaust from city-speed.com, cause i won it on ebay. city-speed was really nice, and the exhaust took about a week to travel cross country, they are based in cali, and i am in the pittsburgh, pa area. it was $429.99, with shipping being about 50 bux, as i live on the other side of the country. it would probably be cheaper if you live closer to cali.

it is a cat back, it replaces the stock muffler and midpipe, up to the catalytic converter. the product is in 2 pieces. huge ass muffler/tip with a short length of pipe, and the long midpipe, which also has a smaller muffler before where it attatches to the muffler. it fits really easy, like stock, only much thicker. i dont think mine hangs too low. similar to stock midpipe, i think cause its much thicker piping, it gives an illusion of low hang. my car is on sportlines, which is about 1.6" drop all around, and currently on the stock wheels/michelins for winter driving, and it isnt that low. i drive really cautiously anyways, avoiding all bumps, holes, pavement changes, dips, sharp driveways etc., cause driving a lowered car on horrible @^%$! western pa roads this time of year is a nightmare. the muffler can is offset nicely, it doesnt hang low in the back, its pretty much tucked away, all you really see is the big ass tip and the chrome shine. go greddy, all the way, ive never been as happy with an exhaust in my life.

BlairSpeed
03-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Thats a great review, I would like to hear some sound clips of that!! I think im going to go Magnaflow only cause its more in my budget, although I've heard its louder then the GReddy.

AkronSi
03-18-2004, 06:37 AM
Hey Phantasia, do you have any pics of your EVO II? After hearing how quiet these things are, and now that they are stainless steel, I'm really interested in getting one. I live in NE Ohio, not all that far from Pittsburgh, so I think the stainless will hold up much better through the winter.

Thanks if you have any pics to post.

esmith13
03-18-2004, 07:30 AM
I would like pics/sounds as well...

Sorry, have to ask tho... What's with the "when vtec kicks in" crap? Come on, man - we have "crap-tec" - just admit that for me at least...

Still wanna see/hear the exhaust tho. ;)

Eric

icegrill
03-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Great review, the only part that sounds bad is the huge tip. Those days are over:(

STP03BlueSI
03-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Yea my gf has the Greddy EvoII on her Eclipse. It seems loud in the cab at about 65mph. but quiet at high RPM. She likes it, that all that counts.

Chris

TEKBRAIN
03-18-2004, 10:56 AM
feels like a kick in the ass of the ep when you hit vtec
At 2200RPM? :*

nozomi
03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
not trying to put him down but when someone tells me about they can feel the vtec on my car I get skeptical about that person's comments. on everything else. Cause clearly placebo effect is existing somewhere. Unless of course, he has an A2.

bioevolve
03-18-2004, 06:33 PM
PICS!!!!! I wanna see pics of the mid section from ground level to see how far it hangs down. I got the regular EVO the mid hangs down low.

RacingCivicSi02
03-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Mines is already bent in the midpipe so i can't get a picture of that, cause it doesn't hang in the middle no more. but i will try to get a sound clip for yall.

ViViDPeArL
03-19-2004, 08:29 AM
sorry...i'm not too much of an engine tech guy...what's this about our car not having vtec? is it not vtec cuz it's not as strong as past generations? i do feel the car going getting louder (i dunno about faster) when it gets up to like 4k then 5k is niceeee. sorry...fill a noob in

aRz
03-19-2004, 09:55 AM
I want pic's please! i debating to get either the evo 2 or the hks!?
i love the exhaust being at an angle but its getting old alreday the greddy evo 2 design is much more clean looking sleak...

ill be running the carw/ no Cat the Greddy wont be 1/2 as loud as the hks im sure espessially w/ no cat..?

what do you guys think..?

NEED PICS! please:D

nozomi
03-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
sorry...i'm not too much of an engine tech guy...what's this about our car not having vtec? is it not vtec cuz it's not as strong as past generations? i do feel the car going getting louder (i dunno about faster) when it gets up to like 4k then 5k is niceeee. sorry...fill a noob in

oh i am sorry man i don't mean to be disrepectful, sorry sorry;)

i'm a noob too, i just got my 03 last august...:D

oh yea back to the vtec topic, yes our car has vtec, but only ivtec. which only kicks in at around 2000 rpm. It is not the kinda of vtec existing in old B, H series or even RSX-S. So there's no vtec to kick in at 5000rpm for more aggressive cam lobes.

What you are feeling with tat getting louder at 4k-5k is just like any other cars. Kinda sad eh:'(, but who cares right, as long as it's fast :cool:

redronin22
03-20-2004, 06:06 AM
what do u mean when u hit vtec? unless u are on a k20a2 your econo -vtec hits at 2200rpm

ViViDPeArL
03-20-2004, 09:45 AM
at 2000rpm? i don't feel crap at that rpm...i only start to really feel a pick up at like 3500-4000. i guess that's where honda's make power anyhow....

seattlecivic
03-20-2004, 01:27 PM
How about getting some pics and sound clips on her NOW!

ep3si02
03-20-2004, 02:41 PM
how big is the piping of the greddy evo?

RacingCivicSi02
03-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ep3si02
how big is the piping of the greddy evo?

Greddy Piping is about 2 1/2".

hendo999
03-21-2004, 12:04 AM
yo phantasia, where are you at near pitts. i live in kittanning about 35mins away. im thinkin about buying an exhaust soon. id like to meet and hear it sometime.

super_si_45
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
pic picity pic pic pics pic picity pics pic pic pic pics!!! tit tit tits. oops

silvercivic33
03-22-2004, 09:17 PM
im leaning towards the borla or greddy evo II .. does any one have pictures of how low it hangs and sounds!!! please!! i wonder which is most quietest??

seattlecivic
03-23-2004, 05:50 PM
SOMEONE POST A FREEGIN PIC OF A EP with GREDDY EVO!!! :-(

super_si_45
03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
amen!

02SilverSiHB
03-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by nozomi

oh yea back to the vtec topic, yes our car has vtec, but only ivtec. which only kicks in at around 2000 rpm. It is not the kinda of vtec existing in old B, H series or even RSX-S. So there's no vtec to kick in at 5000rpm for more aggressive cam lobes.

What you are feeling with tat getting louder at 4k-5k is just like any other cars. Kinda sad eh:'(, but who cares right, as long as it's fast :cool:
actually, the type s has i-vtec also. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1005867#post1005867
vtec engages at about 2200rpm for us. at around 4700 rpm what you might feel is some cam changing...I think, I can't remember the nomenclature...anyway, like in my dyno you can see a climb in power at about 4700-4800 rpm
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/57/FA/21680983-c044-02000176-.jpg

Soon2beEP3
03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
It hangs low and to the left.

I'm soooo tired of hearing this shit about the k20a3 and it not having vtec. If I get pulled 1/2 a car by a 1.6L that weighs 200lbs less, 1000 more rpms, w/ I/H/E and all I have is an Injen S/R, I could care less if it has a "REAL" vtec. The engine sounds great, it's quick and I get better gas mileage. So fuck v-tec.

02SilverSiHB
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Soon2beEP3
It hangs low and to the left.

I'm soooo tired of hearing this shit about the k20a3 and it not having vtec. If I get pulled 1/2 a car by a 1.6L that weighs 200lbs less, 1000 more rpms, w/ I/H/E and all I have is an Injen S/R, I could care less if it has a "REAL" vtec. The engine sounds great, it's quick and I get better gas mileage. So fuck v-tec.
LOL, it has vtec man...don't worry, but not the typical vtec of what other b16 owners were used to...either way...so far so good, no b16 with i/h/e have been able to take me.

super_si_45
03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
cool.

so no pics yet?

FCobra94
03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I've been thinking about getting this exhaust as well, but am worried about it being too low and scraping, like some people have mentioned. Especially since I will be lowering mine about 1.5" within the next few months.

Does anyone else have photos of a side shot of their car? For you guys that are lowered, do you scrape when you go over speed bumps, etc?

Thanks for the help!

seattlecivic
04-07-2004, 01:52 AM
bump... no sound clips or images yet! :-P:mad:

ViViDPeArL
04-07-2004, 08:15 AM
STILL NO PICS?! slackers! :yellm:

super_si_45
04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
no shit, still no godamn pics??!! wtf??!!!

02SilverSiHB
04-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Me EP3 has it and posted pics...didn't really look any different when I saw the pics...but of course now his pics aren't even working...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33298

These are the urls that don't seem to work anymore
http://24.14.189.7/Car.jpg

http://24.14.189.7/Rear shot.jpg

http://24.14.189.7/Side Shot.jpg

http://24.14.189.7/Center Shot.jpg

phantasia
04-09-2004, 08:29 PM
sorry i been away a bit. ive been really busy with work, and the times i do have off, im not on ephatch. lol. but anyways, i still love the exhaust, but yeah it does hang low in the middle, near the cat. it seems to be pulling the cat down a little. but i dont understand why, as the midpipe is much lighter than the stock pipe. is there a way you can get this pipe bent up, to bring it closer to the bottom of the car? i am not scraping on speed bumps, but i do scrape on steep inclines that level off, like pulling out onto a road from a side street. also, with more than just me in the car, the ep sits lower, because of weight, and the midpipe near the cat looks very low, like it would scrape on anything.

ive scraped a few times already, and its really bumming me out. is there any solution for this? anyone?? can a muffler shop bend the pipe at all to get it closer to the bottom of the car and away from the road?

bioevolve
04-09-2004, 08:37 PM
It's a design flaw or it doesn't fit our ep3's 100%, someone didn't measure the right angles. You can heat up the mide pipe at 2 locations on both ends with a torch and push up in the center. They should have made it better, but I guess it's with CTR/JDM spec exhaust. I don't think they compensated for USDM angles.

redronin22
04-09-2004, 11:49 PM
wish we had real vtec like the rsx =-(

ViViDPeArL
04-10-2004, 12:47 AM
real vtec fake vtec...who cares...it's still there in one form or another. go buy a RSX then.

super_si_45
04-10-2004, 05:39 AM
pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics. pics.

:D

aRz
04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
yeah please i want pics on the car but for now...

SP2
http://www.tornactive.com/prod_images_large/ACFykmfQF.jpg

Evo
http://www.digitalracer.com/catalog/photos/GREDDY_big_evo.jpg

EvoII
http://images.cardomain.com/products/gre/GRE10156653_1.jpg

FCobra94
04-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by phantasia
ive scraped a few times already, and its really bumming me out. is there any solution for this? anyone?? can a muffler shop bend the pipe at all to get it closer to the bottom of the car and away from the road?

I'm hoping I will find a solution as well. My EVO2 should be here soon, so I'm hoping to find a fix before I scrape the midpipe up too bad :(