PDA

View Full Version : Hayame INFO?

bioevolve
03-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Any new updates on the HAYAME CoilOvers for the EP yet?

jaydub
03-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Nah, nothing concrete yet. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth being the guinea pig to try this out, but I'm thinking it should work the same way the Tein SS's do (i.e. drilling out the mounting bolts to 16mm, from the 14mm size they come).

It's just a major undertaking for it not to work. :o

VNlilMAN
03-14-2004, 01:43 AM
if teins fit, hayames fit..
so with teins you do have to drill the holes bigger(someone said you didnt) Your going to have to do the same with hayames too...

bioevolve
03-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Yeah, that is if you order the Civic 01+ version.

What would happen on suspension control, if I ordered the RSX version and some RSX TieRod ends ?!?!!?!? I think I will be the guinea pig on the RSX setup in a few weeks. I know the RSX has Higher spring rate, but should be solid from race setup and my setup.

Any thoughts?

jaydub
03-14-2004, 11:39 AM
IIRC if you get the RSX setup, you may have to shave down the mount in the rear, but I could be way off base and have no clue what I'm talking about. :D

I cannot recall where I read that, however.

Civicvtec1ps
03-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Yea, You need to buy RSX tie rod in order to fit DC5 fullcoilovers.
RSX uses 16mm front camber bolts, Just like our car. That's plus.

jaydub
03-14-2004, 11:50 AM
RSX tie rods, for the rear correct?

Civicvtec1ps
03-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
RSX tie rods, for the rear correct?
Fronts.
Rear doesn't have tie rods.

jaydub
03-14-2004, 11:56 AM
haha that's why I was cornfused. :D That might not be a bad idea for me anyway, considering the shape my tie rod boots have been in for a few months now...

:sigh:

jaydub
03-14-2004, 12:12 PM
So I guess the way to look at it is like this:

Hayame for EM2 = drill front mount bolts to 16mm, everything else is fine. Softer spring rate. (6KG Front/8KG Rear)

Hayame for RSX = mount bolts are fine, but requires purchase of new RSX tie rod ends. Higher spring rate. (8KG Front/10KG Rear)

bioevolve
03-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Bingo!

jaydub
03-14-2004, 09:07 PM
i think i'll be ordering the EM2 ones tomorrow. The front mount bolts won't be hard to drill, and I like the spring rates. :)

Ph0nK
03-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Hayame's catalog says that they're "multi-adjustable" as well as "0-4inch ride height adjustable". So does anyone know if this means that the dampening rates are adjustable? Billet and dustcovers, I'm really thinking about getting these...

Civicvtec1ps
03-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Non adustable Dampenings.
Just like TEIN Basic.

jaydub
03-15-2004, 11:08 PM
correct, the only other difference is that the hayames come with upper mounts, and they are preload adjustable.

Ph0nK
03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
correct, the only other difference is that the hayames come with upper mounts, and they are preload adjustable.

Can someone explain "preload"?

jaydub
03-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Ph0nK
Can someone explain "preload"?

I copied this from 7thgencivic.com, where VNlilMAN posted his review of them.

Advantage of 3 locknuts: You know how most coilovers, lower you go worse the ride. Well that

bioevolve
03-17-2004, 05:33 PM
So having higher rated springs, the better for race :D .
I will be ordering the RSX Kit at end of the week.
RSX Tie Rod Ends are on the way already.

jaydub
03-17-2004, 05:49 PM
I have committment issues. :D Then again, AFAIK the Civic kits are out of stock pretty much everyplace.

Siman
03-17-2004, 08:55 PM
I saw those coilovers a while ago on ebay from a retailer named "mookee" or something...here are some pics i found...
http://images4.fotki.com/v49/photos/4/42677/132537/IMG_0003-vi.jpg http://images4.fotki.com/v48/photos/4/42677/132537/IMG_0002-vi.jpg http://images4.fotki.com/v47/photos/4/42677/132537/IMG_0001-vi.jpg

they look good to me

jaydub
03-17-2004, 10:51 PM
this isn't helping! :D

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 07:23 AM
IIRC if you get the RSX setup, you may have to shave down the mount in the rear, but I could be way off base and have no clue what I'm talking about. :D

I cannot recall where I read that, however.

Correct! You'll have to shave off the bottom on the rear, front should fit w/o problems.

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 07:27 AM
If I am not mistaken, the front are camber adjustable, which means that you will not be able to drill the top hole. The top hole is not round, it's kind of shaped ovally so you can ajust the camber. The only option is to order the RSX model and shave off the rear.

So I guess the way to look at it is like this:

Hayame for EM2 = drill front mount bolts to 16mm, everything else is fine. Softer spring rate. (6KG Front/8KG Rear)

Hayame for RSX = mount bolts are fine, but requires purchase of new RSX tie rod ends. Higher spring rate. (8KG Front/10KG Rear)

jaydub
03-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by yomamaInMySi
If I am not mistaken, the front are camber adjustable, which means that you will not be able to drill the top hole. The top hole is not round, it's kind of shaped ovally so you can ajust the camber. The only option is to order the RSX model and shave off the rear.

Not necessarily. If you shave the "oval" down to be 16mm, it should still work properly. Of course, there's a lot of "shoulds" in this equation, so nobody will know for sure until they try it out. I'll have to see if the teins have to be modified similarly, or if the mounting holes are just round.

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Not necessarily. If you shave the "oval" down to be 16mm, it should still work properly. Of course, there's a lot of "shoulds" in this equation, so nobody will know for sure until they try it out. I'll have to see if the teins have to be modified similarly, or if the mounting holes are just round.

Do you mean drill the oval hole? The shaving is on the back shocks if you order the RSX, the drilling is on the front mounting holes if you go with the EM civics's model. The tie rod deal is for some EPs. My understanding is that some EPs came with the rods like the RSXs and some came with the rods like EM civics.

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
At any rate, who ever want to order this thing should contact urban import. They're selling these things for 650 shipped. Talk to Mike (I think that's the guy's name). If I am not mistaken (I don't know if it has been mentioned) the shocks are by tokico.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Do you mean drill the oval hole? The shaving is on the back shocks if you order the RSX, the drilling is on the front mounting holes if you go with the EM civics's model. The tie rod deal is for some EPs. My understanding is that some EPs came with the rods like the RSXs and some came with the rods like EM civics.

right, we're on the same page. ;) The drilling would only be necessary if you have EM2 parts. Shaving is necessary (possibly) with the RSX parts.

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 08:47 AM
right, we're on the same page. ;) The drilling would only be necessary if you have EM2 parts. Shaving is necessary (possibly) with the RSX parts.

Correction, I just found this info about a minute ago. Hayame should make a kit for the 2004 EM which has a 16mm bolts on the front just like us. So if you order for a 2004 civic EM, then no need to shave or drill.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Correction, I just found this info about a minute ago. Hayame should make a kit for the 2004 EM which has a 16mm bolts on the front just like us. So if you order for a 2004 civic EM, then no need to shave or drill.

ahhh very interesting! Where'd ya find this out?

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 08:57 AM
ahhh very interesting! Where'd ya find this out?

7thgeneration civics. Apparently some one with a 2k4 civic order the set and he said he had to drilled the front holes. So hopefully by now hayame may have rectify this and drilled the holes to 16mm.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 09:03 AM
7thgeneration civics. Apparently some one with a 2k4 civic order the set and he said he had to drilled the front holes. So hopefully by now hayame may have rectify this and drilled the holes to 16mm.

ohhh, see I knew that the 04's had 16mm bolts, but I thought there might've been some word that Hayame had released another kit for the 04's. I can't imagine it would be that difficult, since the parts are alread there (just use the RSX front pieces, with the EM2 springs).

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 09:05 AM
ohhh, see I knew that the 04's had 16mm bolts, but I thought there might've been some word that Hayame had released another kit for the 04's. I can't imagine it would be that difficult, since the parts are alread there (just use the RSX front pieces, with the EM2 springs).

Exactly, actually I understand some 03 had the 16mm bolts as well.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Then again, getting a hold of Hayame is a nightmare, so I'm not gonna worry about it. :D

Siman
03-18-2004, 09:23 AM
this is some good info guys!

i have decided to go with the Hayame coilovers, since they are Tokico shocks etc....

i am just waiting to find a job!:rolleyes: :D

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Siman
this is some good info guys!

i have decided to go with the Hayame coilovers, since they are Tokico shocks etc....

i am just waiting to find a job!:rolleyes: :D

I don't know anything about the hayame, and I don't want to bash on them, but remember that price some times reflects the quality of the product. That being said, not all things that are expensive are of good quality and not all things that are less expensive are of bad quality.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 09:32 AM
that's true. I have based much of my decision on the long topic on 7thgencivic, and they seem pretty pleased with them overall. I did notice there was a few instances where people were shipped the incorrect springs, however, UrbanImport is looking into it.

yomamaInMySi
03-18-2004, 09:54 AM
AFTER FURTHER REVIEW, THESE WON'T FIT. THE UPPER MOUNT FROM THE EM IS NOT SAME AS THE EP3.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 11:12 AM
AFTER FURTHER REVIEW, THESE WON'T FIT. THE UPPER MOUNT FROM THE EM IS NOT SAME AS THE EP3.

How can that be? Considering that the Tein SS kit is for the EM2... ah but the hayame kit does use their own upper mount, where the Tein uses the stock upper mount.

Shit. :\

VNlilMAN
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
whats the difference? chances of you having problems with teins is greater than problems with hayames because you have to use your stock mounts with teins. Even people with an 02 em2 had to get 01 upper mounts in order to install teins.. There really isnt a difference unless the bolt size for it is different which i highly doubt. Our em2 guys are using ep3 JICs.

Basically if teins fit, hayames fit. and ya 01-02 em2s use 14mm camber bolts while 03-04 uses 16mm. I believe ep3s uses 16mm as well so your going to have to drill bigger holes. Same should be said with teins since teins only make an 01-02 em2 application as well

Ph0nK
03-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok, I'm really confused as to what actually needs to be drilled if you want to put the Hayames for the EM2 on an EP3. Can anyone clarify? I haven't seen anything that resembles a camber plate on the hayames, but someone keeps mentioning them.

jaydub
03-18-2004, 07:58 PM
here you go.

http://www.dubfusion.com/temp/camber.jpg

Ph0nK
03-19-2004, 06:43 AM
here you go.

http://www.dubfusion.com/temp/camber.jpg

Perfect answer. I can handle making those 2mm bigger.

jaydub
03-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Perfect answer. I can handle making those 2mm bigger.
It's the same modification which would be necessary if you bought the Tein SS setup. :) Nothing major, though I'd probably have a machine shop do it just so it's precise. I'm really anal retentive tho. :D

bioevolve
03-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Ordered the RSX version from Urbanimport.com, back ordered for 2-3 weeks:'( . Guess I'll have to wait, no choice, already paid.

If anyone else orders from there use "hayamegb" coupon code for free shipping in the states.

hernameis?
03-20-2004, 06:55 AM
so what are you guys gonna do? hop on the hayames for 650 or get the d2's for 800? im kicking around both, but think Im gonna go with the d2s. Any opinions?

Ph0nK
03-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Can you link me to the D2's? b/c I have no idea what you're talking about :) They're new to me.

jaydub
03-20-2004, 10:16 AM
To be quite honest, I've changed my mind completely. It seems that Tanabe has some pretty good looking setups which are EP3 specific,so I'm just waiting to get a bit more info from them before I do anything.

yomamaInMySi
03-20-2004, 07:00 PM
I spoke with the guy at urban and he said that Hayame doesn't make a kit for the EPS. It is his understanding that the EM civics wont fit the EP because the upper mounts are different.

jaydub
03-20-2004, 09:22 PM
but then it doesn't make sense that the EM2 guys are using the JIC kits (which also have upper mounts included) with no problems. :shrug:

Siman
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
but then it doesn't make sense that the EM2 guys are using the JIC kits (which also have upper mounts included) with no problems. :shrug:

I strongly second that!!!;)

bioevolve
03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Called up urbanimport and talked to mike, I cancelled my hayame order (2 to 3 week wait) and got the D2 instead (will be shipping next week) :D also got it with a custom spring rate of my choice ;)

Ph0nK
03-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Ok, so I'll admit that I'm new to a lot of suspension companies, but what's D2? I don't see a manufacturer named D2 on urbanimports.com under suspension. Could you like me to some info about these?

yomamaInMySi
03-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Ok, so I'll admit that I'm new to a lot of suspension companies, but what's D2? I don't see a manufacturer named D2 on urbanimports.com under suspension. Could you like me to some info about these?

I think I read here in this forum that they're made in Taiwan. Go with the Mugen IMHO, nothing beats stock OEM manufacturer.

jaydub
03-25-2004, 08:39 AM
I think I read here in this forum that they're made in Taiwan. Go with the Mugen IMHO, nothing beats stock OEM manufacturer.

Meh, I categorize them and Tein similarly: They're decent but by no means are the outstanding or worth what you pay. I think the mugen setup is severely overpriced, considering that it's 100% non adjustable.

yomamaInMySi
03-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Meh, I categorize them and Tein similarly: They're decent but by no means are the outstanding or worth what you pay. I think the mugen setup is severely overpriced, considering that it's 100% non adjustable.

Ok, fair enough about the mugen. But in my opinion, how many people here with coilovers (not with the Tein type flex) actually adjust the ride height of the vehicle. Do a poll and see what we get. I had coilovers in the past and never once I ajusted the things. I put them on the car and never again touched them. Now with damper and rebound adjustability is a different thing all together beacuse you don't have to deal with removing the wheels and all of that. I don't know I think IMO the mugen it's the best, but then the guys here that own different type of suspensions think their's the best. I guess each to his/her own.

FckdUpPup
03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
I am gettign the D2's also and will be installing them myself so when I put them in I will make sure to take alot of pictures for everyone.

WHo wants to do an install day in NY/NJ ?

Doug

bioevolve
03-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by FckdUpPup
I am gettign the D2's also and will be installing them myself so when I put them in I will make sure to take alot of pictures for everyone.

WHo wants to do an install day in NY/NJ ?

Doug

I will be doing the same lotta pics lol.

But in a new thread, this one is getting to long ;)

Ph0nK
03-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Can someone link me to someplace that sells these D2's? Or some place that has pictures and info on them?

Thanks

FckdUpPup
03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Can someone link me to someplace that sells these D2's? Or some place that has pictures and info on them?

Thanks

Follow this link my man. I found out about the D2's when I called Urban Import about the Hayame's. Glad I found them. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28973

slc71
03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
So, has anyone installed the Hayame Coilovers yet?

03silverEP
03-30-2004, 12:57 PM
i doubt they are tokico shocks, tokico which has not released shocks for the DC5/EM1/EP3 has said they will cost $500 a set, why would they make shocks for hayame, and then only have a $150 premium for a threaded coilover body, I don't think they are tokico shocks, it's just something they say to make sales (hmm...import shops...lying....what a surprise....never happens)

Civicvtec1ps
03-30-2004, 02:11 PM
They use tokico shocks.
Anways, Hayame fullcoilovers for EM2 will fit on ep.
Many members has Tein basic or SS on ep3.
Which is made for em2.

VNlilMAN
03-30-2004, 09:24 PM
have you seen pictures of the hayames? Do they look your your typikal tokico shocks? Do you know how koni inserts work? well same thing... think of these as tokico INSERTS in HAYAME housings. The internals are by tokico but the housing itself is by hayame.

03silverEP
03-31-2004, 01:52 AM
call me doubtful, but i'd like some proof that they are tokico shocks so far all we've heard is "he said, she said" that doesn't make it true

jaydub
03-31-2004, 01:53 AM
if you've read the topic, you'd see that nobody has installed them.

yomamaInMySi
03-31-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by slc71
So, I ask again has anyone installed these on their EP3?
I am looking at the Mugen Suspension vs the Hayame setup.
The Hayame setup is at such a good price and adjustable, but everyone raves about the Mugen setup.
decisions, decisions

IMO, go Mugen. The guy at Urban told me that the Hayames won't fit the EP and that Hayame does not make them for the EP. Mugen is straight bolt on and they're the best (again IMO) for the car. Nothing beats OEM stuff with a touch of performance, which is what Mugen has. With the coilover you have to put a camber kit. I had coilovers on my car before and negative camber (agressive in the rear) eat my tires really fast. With the Mugen you don't really need a camber kit.

slc71
03-31-2004, 07:27 AM
So, I ask again has anyone installed these on their EP3?
I am looking at the Mugen Suspension vs the Hayame setup.
The Hayame setup is at such a good price and adjustable, but everyone raves about the Mugen setup.
decisions, decisions

VNlilMAN
04-01-2004, 06:25 PM
With the coilover you have to put a camber kit. I had coilovers on my car before and negative camber (agressive in the rear) eat my tires really fast. With the Mugen you don't really need a camber kit.
Not necessarily.. Whether you need a camber kit or not doesnt depend on what suspension you use. It mainly depends on how low your car is dropped. Lower the car, more negative camber your going to get. Reason why you probably dont need it on mugens is its only a 1" drop or so. Reason why most people need it with coilovers is, no one goes just 1", they usually drop it down to atleast 2". But ya if you get the hayames and only drop it down 1" you probably wont need a camber kit.