PDA

View Full Version : Turbo information

Hetfield6J
03-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys. I am going to start buying components for a custom turbo set up. Is there a site with alot of info on the various turbos out, ex. T3/T4, Garrett....

Anyone have any recomendations on what turbo to build around?

EPHatchgirl
03-15-2004, 09:52 PM
While I can't claim be an expert to know what turbo will be best for you ;), there is one thing that comes to mind when trying to pick the right one:

How far will your project go?

If you plan on "going all the way" a larger turbo has the most upgradibility, so that you do not need to replace it later as you continue to build the engine.
If you want to go full out stage I- and that's it- a smaller ball bearing turbo can provide MUCH quicker spooling (less turbo LAAAAAG) and a broader, more consistent power ban. I have read about the Garrett "Disco Potato" turbo, which is compared to a S/C as quickly as it spools.

Here's a site I found about this one. Hope it helps.:D
Click this for info on the T3/T4 "drop in kit". Dyno's (http://www.atpturbo.com/root/turbopiping/dynodata/integragsr.htm)

Vertigo
03-16-2004, 03:07 AM
Check out this site...Turbonetics (http://64.225.76.178/main.htm)

tekgnosis
03-16-2004, 07:40 AM
as another option: you can score the TD04 mitsubishi turbo from a WRX for relatively cheap off of ebay (sometimes).

it's flow rates are comparable to a t3...I THINK.

I've seen the two side by side and they physically look similar in size and fin size.

I'm in the middle of building my custom turbo setup, and my main goal is reliability. so, i'm going for a smaller turbo with only about 6.5-8psi of boost, but it will spool up fast and give me that power relatively quick.

I'm also going to upgrade some internals as well, just so that it's as reliable as possible without paying through tooth and nail.

just do a lot of reading, and research the different parts that all the turbo kits come with. then look into what your options are for customizing each component.

good luck!