PDA

View Full Version : are cv boots covered under warranty?

downhil
03-14-2004, 08:29 PM
i was changing my oil this evening and noticed that my cv boot had thrown up all its grease. its the inner boot on the tranny. i do have springs, but they dont come anywhere close to the boot. what do you guys think....will i get hassled by the dealership? if so, how much do you think a new boot runs and is it as simple as pulling the axle off to replace?

oldschoolimport
03-14-2004, 08:36 PM
it should be covered under warranty, and no they should not give you a hassle. if not, the boot is about 10 bucks, but the axle has to come off the car and the entire inner joint removed. remove the clamps, squeeze the 2 tabs together and it will unlock. slide the old boot back. pull the cup off. remove the rollers from the tripod. the tripod is held in place with 2 snap rings. remove them and slide the tripod off. remove the old boot. and then work backwards. honda cv boot clamps are reusable. I removed mine when the joint seperated during my spring install. good luck.

downhil
03-14-2004, 08:40 PM
i was helping a friend install his springs and we found a trick to the joint separating. put your wheel back on and line up the joint with a twisting motion...like a steering wheel and then just push the mofo back together. the wheel on the hub gives you sooooo much more leverage.

oldschoolimport
03-14-2004, 08:42 PM
I tried turning the hub and pushing in, but it was easier for me to pop the boot off. I have built several joints in the past, so it was pretty quick.