PDA

View Full Version : black paint is a bitch goddess. how to keep her happy.

phantasia
03-14-2004, 09:00 PM
aight. you just waxed your car, and it looks great in the shady driveway. you take her out for a spin, stylin and smilin. pull into pep boys or something, park 2 miles away from the other cars, get out, grab a smoke and look at your baby in the sun.

@^%!$! ever see those shimmery reflections in the black paint, especially on the long flat sides of the ep? i always did, no matter how carefully i waxed and removed the wax. finally the other day i decided to fix this. heres what i did. it takes a day or two to finish, as its a lot of work, so best to wash one day and then take as much time as you need to do this, because its well worth it. drive your moms car, gfs car or just bum a ride until youre done. lucky for me i have the 85 accord winter beater.

after car is washed and dried (i use meguiar's gold class wash) start, section by section. i started with front bumper, and worked my way around, panel by panel.

step one : meguiar's clear coat prep/swirl reducer. just like wax. rub it on, not too heavy of course, and let dry. remove with a 100% cotton terry towel.

step two: meguiar's show car glaze. again, just like wax, use sparingly and let dry to a haze. i rubbed this off with the new meguiar's ultimate wipe towel, and this freaking towel is like a godsend. its small, but removes wax, perfectly and easily, much better than regular terry towel.

step three: meguiar's gold class wax and wipe off after it dries to a white haze.

step for. stand back and look. i go over it again, with a final, very soft, loving caress with an ultra soft "polishing cloth" i picked up at pep boys.

i must emphaszise that in between the steps, give it the best possible going over with the eye before you proceed. you must make sure all previous steps are removed as well as those shimmery marks. i found it best to back it up a bit into the sun and look at different angles, before pulling it forward back into the shade before moving onto the next panel.

end result: perfect, flawless black. drop dead gorgeous nighthawk black pearl, no shimmer. look at it long enuff and youll think the car is a mirror, and totally forget your car is black. reflection that you can easily read small type from.

again, this can take a couple of days, but do it right, once or twice a year, in early springtime maybe late summer, and the rest of the year, your waxes will look great!

oldschoolimport
03-14-2004, 09:04 PM
what do you charge. I am too impatient to spend 2 days waxing.:D

phantasia
03-14-2004, 09:08 PM
shit.. buy me a plane ticket from pittsburgh to alabama, and ill do it for free as long as you take my ass out for some lap dances, feed me and pay for the return home.

lol

k20ephatch
03-14-2004, 11:34 PM
great write up! :) I just bought the mother's claybar kit myself, i mma try it out this weekend..and hopefully with your instructions, i could remove the swirls and light scratches off my black ep :)

phantasia
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
bro the claybar is wicked cool, but i doubt you would need that shiz yet, your ep isnt that old. then again, cali has some hardcore smog. like i said before, the meguiars clear coat prep/swirl reducer, show car glaze and gold class wax works hella good. just take your time. if you get sick of doing it, stop. chill, and pick it back up later. let me know your results.

mike

k20ephatch
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by phantasia
bro the claybar is wicked cool, but i doubt you would need that shiz yet, your ep isnt that old. then again, cali has some hardcore smog. like i said before, the meguiars clear coat prep/swirl reducer, show car glaze and gold class wax works hella good. just take your time. if you get sick of doing it, stop. chill, and pick it back up later. let me know your results.

mike

yeah, my car's a daliy drive and i commute for about 70 miles a day, i get a lot of dead bugs on my front bumper, not to mention the buffing marks the dealer made before the car was sold to me..it gets really annoying sometimes because everything's so noticable on a black car. i try to wash her every saturday or sunday..i just bought the Meguiar's Scatch X so hopefully i can see some good results from it this weekend :D

Chinaboy
03-17-2004, 12:06 AM
proper wash and wax for a car that has not been waxed or taken care of well... these are the BEST steps...

1. Wash with DAWN or dish washing detergent all over car
2. Apply clay bar with lubercant (quick detailer is good)
3. Wash the car with a car soap to rinse and clean off lubercant
4. In the shade, apply Meguaires #7 Show car glaze, panel panel... by the time u finish one panel, it is time to start taking it off.
5. Apply Meguaries #26 Yellow Sytn Wax, same as the #7, panel by panel and take it off after u finish the panel... ( start the panel to finish is about 2 minutes, then wait 1 minute before take off)

Tip: Use terry cloth for all clean towel for each product, wash car from top to bottom, use differnt srubbers for rims and body of the car; do not use sponge, use a wool mat or something.

Soon2beEP3
03-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Yay, I'm gonna wax my car this weekend , thanx for tha tips.

davidc81
03-29-2004, 06:31 PM
hey, i live in pittsburgh, and i have no problems taking you to bare elegance or club elite if u clean my ep!

SiR_d1
03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by k20ephatch
..i just bought the Meguiar's Scatch X so hopefully i can see some good results from it this weekend :D

this works wonders with a buffer on light scratches on the clearcoat