PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Setup?

Hatchtastic
03-16-2004, 10:24 AM
I have some 17 inch rims. I have seen many post about what springs to buy. But I need to know what all is needed to keep my car in order. Spring, shocks, struts, chamber kit? is that just too much or would all those be a good idea? Im a tard! price on the products is important. But what i need is what i need and i will buy them. Ill just shop around for prices.

jaydub
03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, I'd select a height that you like from the stickied topic in this forum, and decide accordingly.

There is only one set of replacement struts available for our cars, the Koni Yellows, and they are actually cartridges which use the stock hardware. Supposedly there will be some kits coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.

It might be beneficial to look into a basic coilover setup (if it's just for daily driving) such as the Tein basics, which are height adjustable and replace the whole OEM strut/spring setup. As far as a camber kit, I would highly recommend one if you plan to lower your car any more than an inch.

:)

silver ep
03-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Also the KW V2 coilovers would be a nice basic set up. They are similar to the Tein Basics but the are full stainless steel.

jaydub
03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by silver ep
Also the KW V2 coilovers would be a nice basic set up. They are similar to the Tein Basics but the are full stainless steel.
Except that the KW's have rebound adjustable dampening, where the teins do not. They are also about $400-500 more.

yomamaInMySi
03-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
Well, I'd select a height that you like from the stickied topic in this forum, and decide accordingly.

There is only one set of replacement struts available for our cars, the Koni Yellows, and they are actually cartridges which use the stock hardware. Supposedly there will be some kits coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.

It might be beneficial to look into a basic coilover setup (if it's just for daily driving) such as the Tein basics, which are height adjustable and replace the whole OEM strut/spring setup. As far as a camber kit, I would highly recommend one if you plan to lower your car any more than an inch.

:)

Acutally there's more than one set of struts replacement other thank koni. Spoon makes a set of struts for about 900 with out springs, and Mugen does as well, which are about 1000.

chet
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Personally, if you can afford to do it all in one wisp of the credit card go for it!! But starting out on the stock struts w/ springs won't be too bad as long as your not slammed. I had the Progress springs on stock struts for a year or so, auto-x'ed some last year w/them on--never blew a strut. The camber kits will be a definite help.

Like Jaydub said, I wouldn't hold your breath for a new set of struts or shocks anytime soon. We've been waiting and waiting for choices for the EP, but still to no avail.

Camber kit and springs shouldn't be too much more than $300.

BTW, just about anything you want can be purchased from Chuck and Rocky of ShowstoppersUSA 818-243-0954 www.showstoppersusa.com

They have awesome customer service, they will be very helpful. Give 'em a call.

And in my honest opinion, if you have any lower back problems, don't get the KW V2's. They are pretty harsh (spring rate). I'm having second thoughts about them only because of the harder ride. The Progress springs and stock struts were awesome together btw.

jaydub
03-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by yomamaInMySi
Acutally there's more than one set of struts replacement other thank koni. Spoon makes a set of struts for about 900 with out springs, and Mugen does as well, which are about 1000.

That's actually a good point, it's really a shame that they're so overpriced.

chet
03-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
That's actually a good point, it's really a shame that they're so overpriced.

WE NEED STICKIES FOR AVAILABLE PARTS!!!

I had no idea that Spoon and Mugen had replacements available.

jaydub
03-16-2004, 11:23 AM
yeah i dunno why the stickies that were up there were suddenly removed. :( I've got to re-compile the spring rates lists and availability lists so that we'll have a comprehensive list going.