PDA

View Full Version : I Would Like To Know Something Please!!

Littledragon77
03-16-2004, 03:27 PM
I am going to get the greddy turbo kit and ic. I want to know what else I need engine wise, clutch, electronics, brakes? What else will I need to keep my engine safe from screw up (besides keeping it tuned I already know this-as well as just not being a dumb shit with the turbo-educated myself on turbos,but I am still learning about all the extra parts that go along with the turbo setup to keep everything safe and running right). So if you guys could help me on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TheMutt
03-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Well the intercooler is always nice. Other than that, always run low boost, be sure to change your oil just as frequent if not more, a blow off valve and wastegate are always nice but I'm not sure if they come with the kit or not, other than that it's all just in how hard you are on the car. If you redline and step on it at every light I would expect your clutch to go out first.

dofu
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
well, you'd want to cool off your engine so the oil doesnt coke up, risking damage to your turbo, so i'd have to say a turbo timer is a must. having that time the cool down for you is deffinately much better than just sitting there waiting a few minutes. and plus, it's kinda funny how some elder ppl will jus stare at your car like "wtf?" coz it's still running, but the ignition is off :D

a good blow off valve (greddy type-s is good) to keep intake air from spinning the turbo the wrong way when your throttle closes, at least an exhaust temp guage to go with the boost guage to see if you're running lean or rich (oil pressure guage helps too), and a boost controller is always nice if you can control yourself from turning the boost up too much.

C1V1C
03-18-2004, 08:49 PM
NOW the car will full of gauges ! may be I'll put an ALARM clock or something :) heheh

anyway, is there a device, with one display that can read those information ? so I don't have to put round stuffs everywhere.

btw, does turbo affect gas mileage ? how bad ?

thanks

dofu
03-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by C1V1C
NOW the car will full of gauges ! may be I'll put an ALARM clock or something :) heheh

anyway, is there a device, with one display that can read those information ? so I don't have to put round stuffs everywhere.

btw, does turbo affect gas mileage ? how bad ?

thanks

with the gas milage: depends on how much your boosting, what type of turbo, etc... since you wanna run a rich a/f ratio when you're boosting, you will be running more fuel. but to answer that bluntly, yes, turbo affects milage depending on how far you go with your setup and which setup you have not to mention that you're gonna want to use 91+.
and for the first question, yes... there is a programmable heads up display somewhere that has every feature you can even begin to imagine which will be able to do it all for you, but i dont kno anybody who has it if anybody has it so i cant say how good it is. i cant find the link, but its on ephatch somewhere

emosubaru
03-26-2004, 02:08 AM
in regards to an all in one guage...

the AVC-R boost controller will show you boost, A/F ratio, and possibly other readings, but if i were you i'd take the dive and have two guages-

Boost and EGT(exhaust gas temperature)

Mount these guages close to each other and they will let you know if something's going awry. the exhaust gas will shoot up if you're detonating due to boost creep, or boosting more than you want due to a malfunction in the boost controller.

if your kit has a wastegate, this should not be a problem, but a boost guage and EGT guage give you a great handle on what's going on inside your engine.

most all in one units that i know of can't show you what's going on with two different readings at the same time... and if they do it's likely a digital readout, which is harder to decipher than needles bouncing up or down.

i personally would not run a turbo without Boost, A/F mixture, and EGT guages. that combination will tell you everything you need to know, and can help prevent costly and destructive problems from occuring.

check for an apex-i AVC-R boost controller Air/Fuel regulator, i think that's your best bet in terms of one unit giving you all readings. greddy e-manage also does that but that is ecu tuning and very costly.

if you want my advice, go with the guages. they may be clutter, but they are necessary.:cool:

RMC22
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by C1V1C
may be I'll put an ALARM clock or something :) heheh

Just in case you happen to fall asleep? :*