PDA

View Full Version : DIY dent pop?

txephatch
03-17-2004, 07:34 AM
have a few dents and dings on my ep, and have thought about trying the dry ice method. This is where you wrap a piece of dry ice in something thin, such as saran-wrap, then put the dry ice on the dent, causing the metal to contract and the dent to pop. (or so it's been explained to me). Has anyone have any experience with this method? Also, i seem to have dinged the H emblem on my steering wheel, any ideas on how to pop that?

Sirone
04-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by txephatch
have a few dents and dings on my ep, and have thought about trying the dry ice method. This is where you wrap a piece of dry ice in something thin, such as saran-wrap, then put the dry ice on the dent, causing the metal to contract and the dent to pop. (or so it's been explained to me). Has anyone have any experience with this method? Also, i seem to have dinged the H emblem on my steering wheel, any ideas on how to pop that?

I don't have much dent popping experience. However It seems to me that attempting to remove a dent by messing with the compression of the metal would be a bad idea. If the point of using the dry ice is to change the physics of the metal to restore it to its original shape, then you had better hope that once it cools it retains the original durability.. Otherwise who knows what this could do, it could cause the next ding to really mess up that area in the future. And then no dent-popping place of dry ice could fix it.