PDA

View Full Version : Just put my ECU back in with the Hondata reflash!

SOUTHPAW
03-17-2004, 02:51 PM
I must say, I'am very impressed. I shipped it out Monday morning at like 8:30 a.m., and I got it back Wednesday by 3:00. Anyone thinking about doing this, I recommend it. I used Podium Performance in Stroudsburg for the shop that you need to go through. Anyone in Eastern PA that is thinking about doing this, you should contact them. The car is much more responsive, and there is no hesitation at all when you go through the gears. It just seems much more smoother. I'm not going to get into the habit at redlining it at 7800 rpm, but I just got it in like an hour ago and of course I had to give it a try. The engine really screams and it just doesn't seem to want to stop going faster. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out on the highway yet, but this weekend I will. I'm not sure how this modification is on a stock SI, but my setup is an AEM short ram intake/heatshield, DC 4-2-1 Stainless steel headers, Random technology downpipe/high flow cat., and a greddy evo cat back exhaust. If you got the coin to spend on this mod, and your debating whether or not to get Hondata, the bottom line is you should...

BlairSpeed
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
.... I'm not sure how this modification is on a stock SI, but my setup is an AEM short ram intake/heatshield, DC 4-2-1 Stainless steel headers, Random technology downpipe/high flow cat., and a greddy evo cat back exhaust...

You have the exact set up I want for my car. Im jealous.:D

Finger
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
This is the way our cars should be from the Honda dealer!

HARRY POTTER
03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Finger
This is the way our cars should be from the Honda dealer!

YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH!!

BarracksSi
03-18-2004, 03:40 AM
argh... you Hondata guys are making me think of blowing my income tax refund....

;) :)

phatfreeza
03-18-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
argh... you Hondata guys are making me think of blowing my income tax refund....

;) :)

do it.. you only live once...

(once again, i need to start taking my own advice...)

Black 02 SI
03-18-2004, 07:06 AM
its not blowing, its an investment :) you get endless fun out of it

STP03BlueSI
03-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
do it.. you only live once...

(once again, i need to start taking my own advice...)

Damn dont you hate that when that happens

oogy-boogy
03-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
its not blowing, its an investment :) you get endless fun out of it

Exactly....I love my car so much more since I had it done. :D

cublime
03-18-2004, 08:57 AM
So I'm new to the whole Hondata thing. I guess its like ECUtek for my Subaru. What kind of money are we talking to get a ECU reprogramed for a N/A?

Thanks in advance...

oogy-boogy
03-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by cublime
So I'm new to the whole Hondata thing. I guess its like ECUtek for my Subaru. What kind of money are we talking to get a ECU reprogramed for a N/A?

Thanks in advance...

The Hondata is just an ECU reflash that ups the rev limiter, adjust timing and air/fuel ratio (I may be missing a few others). Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Suby's so I don't know.

I went through Jereamy Kindle over at Kindle Racing. It was $595.00 with all shipping included. I Paypal'd him the $$ and had the UPS stickers e-mailed to me that same day. Shipped the ECU out on a Wednesday night and had it back Friday morning. Well worth it if you love driving your ride....

Here's some info on the flash: LINK-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.hondata.com/k20a3civicsirelease.html)

:D

Ep3 No.2
03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
congrats on your new mod...
i want a hondata ecu but i couldnt not have a car for 3 days =O/

BarracksSi
03-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
congrats on your new mod...
i want a hondata ecu but i couldnt not have a car for 3 days =O/

That's what's tugging at my wallet -- I've gone without driving for a whole week (work is just a 20-minute walk away).

djsolution
03-18-2004, 11:00 AM
I just had the same experience southpaw! I just got my ecu back from hondata yesterday (paid through Payne though) and the EP's a killer now! I have an SRI, hondata heatshield, header, test pipe, and evo catback. Definitely smoothed things out and that 7700 redline is no joke! I just changed my oil today to 5w-30 to help with those extra revs. Oh, and btw, Payne Tech is a great business! Tom Payne is mad cool and kept me up to date with the whole process (checked up on hondata, got me tracking #, etc). Payne and Kindle are good choices for this process!

Area51SI
03-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Im new to the whole Hondata thing as well, but sounds as if it is a good investment. However, I am wondering if it is for me since all I have as far as performance mods is intake and exhaust, and the VAFC-II...would it be a good idea for me to get the reflash? Anyone with any advice, please let me know...thanks

FCobra94
03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
My only question is, is it safe to run 87 octane after the reflash?

It would be nice if it was somehow adjustable so you could switch back and fourth between 2 or 3 diff maps :p I commute way too much to be wasting the 93 octane...

DavidT
03-18-2004, 01:05 PM
The Hondata K-Pro will be adjustable. But it'll also be $995. Do not use 87 with Hondata, you can literally hear the motor ping when you step on it :( I pumped some 91 Chevron at one time and my car ran so shitty, it pinged hard core in the upper RPMs when I got on it. My local Chevron gas station admitted the truck driver accidently mixed in a lot of 87 in their premium tank and refunded my money plus gave me two free fillups so I was happy but shit my car sure pinged a lot in the upper RPMs.

Makross
03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
nice everytime i read a review about hondata just makes me more and more interested...

klik
03-18-2004, 01:43 PM
me too, im so interested on the Hondata maybe in 3 months ill reflash mine.

speedking604
03-22-2004, 10:48 PM
if i'll reflash my ecu, would that work with the jrsc or do i need to reflash my ecu again?i will do the reflash as long as if i dont need to reflash my ecu after installing my jrsc.

freidaddy
03-23-2004, 04:18 AM
I can't wait to get mine. But I can't wait 3 days for my car to be in the shop. Lucky me my parents are flying to Germany for vacation for two weeks.

So it's on like donkey kong. I'll drive thier car for 3 days.:D :D :D

Btrthnezr3
03-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Man...I would love to get Hondata but with the way the gas prices are going up and up and my parents are like hawks about my car...I think I'm gonna try and find an extra ecu laying around somewhere (junkyard) and get that one flashed and matched to my immobilizer...then I could switch in and out when I needed to. Has anyone else done this?
Ohh...and It really sucks because I don't want intake due to the bling factor and loudness...so I guess I'll have to cough up for a Comptech IceBox. Although it won't work as well, it'll be better than no intake at all I guess right?
Geez, I can't make up my mind...Maybe I should just save for a swap!
Any Ideas?

FCobra94
03-23-2004, 09:07 PM
It seems that they tune the ECU for 91 octane. Do you guys think a bit more HP could be gained if you used 93 octane w/ the flash (we have 87, 89, and 93 here in MD) or would it have to pre-programmed in?

Thanks!

speedking604
03-24-2004, 01:01 PM
after reflashing the ecu........do i need to reflash them again if i installed my supercharger>???

andy
03-24-2004, 02:16 PM
speedking - The current Hondata reflash will not work with your
supercharger. You'll need to get it flashed to the JRSC compatible
flash, or go with the K-Pro (programmable unit).

FCobra - I don't think 93 octane would make any difference over 91.

Btrthnezr3 - why don't you just gut your intake box and use an
aftermarket filter (K&N or something else). Cheap mod and should
produce a few more ponies. For the record, the AEM CAI has a minute
bling factor - you can barely see it. It would be a little louder,
but it's not that bad (it ain't a Harley).