PDA

View Full Version : Springs Or Coilovers?

Hatchtastic
03-18-2004, 08:01 AM
I would like to save money and just buy springs. But i dont want a shitty ride quality and dont want to just replace them later. If I was to get coilovers would i need anything else? like chamber kits. Or are springs good and i could get them and the rear chamber and be done? Just tell me what you have, wish you had, or want.

I also heard that changing the hight of your coilovers throws off your wheel balance. More interested in ride quality and handleing than money.

Hatchtastic
03-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the responses. You have all been such a help. now i no that suspension and springs makes no diff because its your car and who gives a fuck about someone elses. fuck him! coilovers - springs doesnt matter i got what and thats what i can afford. because im a bitch

tom3
03-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Hatchtastic
Thanks for all the responses. You have all been such a help. now i no that suspension and springs makes no diff because its your car and who gives a fuck about someone elses. fuck him! coilovers - springs doesnt matter i got what and thats what i can afford. because im a bitch

Hey guy, calm down, and cheer up! :D

From reading in forums, the general consensus seems to be get springs if you just want a drop, and dont mind blowing out your stock struts and replacing them in a year or so, or switching over to a full coilover when later down the road. Getting coilovers is more expensive in the short run, but some refer to it as "doing it right the first time", and also is better for people who autocross and want to do corner weighing.

Many people on this board have full coilovers, but I daresay that more are running aftermarket springs on stock shocks. Ultimately it's your call. Oh yeah spring install is a little more involved than full coilover install too.

BarracksSi
03-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by tom3
Getting coilovers is more expensive in the short run, but some refer to it as "doing it right the first time", and also is better for people who autocross and want to do corner weighing.

Yup. Why waste the money & effort on one when you're planning on "doing something better down the road" anyway?

Either get springs AND shocks, or do coilover. No use half-assing it.

phatfreeza
03-21-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Hatchtastic

hahaha... do i sense a bit of sarcasm here? anyhoo, i have tein s-tech lowering springs riding on stock shocks. the ride is not bouncy at all, but it does get rough over bumps and potholes. i did get a camber kit but it's a fairly mild drop and some people have gone without it. i wish i woulda gone with a complete coilover setup like tein ss, or flex. the stock struts and shocks do take quite a beating over time and you'll probably have to replace them within a year or so.

i was in the same position you were in before. i took the easy way out. now i wish i took the long way. what i'm trying to say is save up some money and do your suspension in one sitting.

Burgh
03-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Depends on how much $ you have and what you plan on doing with the car. Do you just want to lower it for looks? If so, just get springs for now and worry about the shocks later. If you want good handling and plan on racing it and stuff, go for the coilovers or at least the springs+koni inserts option.

Don't take it personally but I think maybe not too many people replied because this topic has been covered many times before.