PDA

View Full Version : ??? CAI causing poor performance to my JR.?????

vampire666
03-18-2004, 05:22 PM
yeah I just call JRSP and a guy toldme that......somebody know if that is true.?????also He say that I should try to run the car without the CAI...and check the difference.????WTF.....

nando707
03-18-2004, 08:57 PM
my car runs fine with my CAI and its been on for a while. What kind of problems are you having?

ALCT
03-18-2004, 09:20 PM
JR / JRSP ?
are you trying to say Jackson Racing supercharger?

eurosteez
03-18-2004, 09:25 PM
maybe cuz when the sc windes up it needs immediated air flow, CAI has all that extra tubing which could maybe cause some wierd backpressure somewhere

dchu
03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
The theory is that the smaller and longer tubing makes it harder for the JRSC to pull air in. Most of the benefit of having a CAI is lost because the JRSC will heat up the air anyway. The air velocity advantage is also lost because it'll hit the rotors of the JRSC before getting to the head. Having a 3" shorty is suppose to let it breath better. I did this on my old car and it felt like the high-end was slightly better with the 3" shorty, but it could have been all in my head. What I know for sure, is that the JRSC whine is louder with the shorty.

esmith13
03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
best case scenario is very short piping with a minimum diameter the same as your TB.

... Unless of course you customize a ram scoop with a CF hood and keep the tubing as short and wide as possible.

Air will heat up in a SC or Turbo, but the colder it is to start with, the cooler it will be in the engine. Cold air gets warm, but warm air gets hot. Unfortunately the nature of a normal CAI works against the SC from the small piping. If you ever saw a turbo or SC AEM intake for a B series you would see the difference immediately. The piping is HUGE and has less bends in it.

Eric

02SilverSiHB
03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
I trust hondata..so I'll go with what they say...

I used to think that the sri was better, but hondata disagreed and this was their comment:

No. Quite the opposite. A SRI increases the intake temps and lower the boost by about 1/2 a pound.

On one turbo RSX I tested, a CAI picked up 35 hp over a SRI. Typically on a supercharged K20A2 series engine a CAI is worth 5-10 hp.

The race upgrade includes a map sensor relocator which is worth about $65.
nuff said...keep the cai ;)

And here's the link...just scan down a little and you'll see where hondata made this comment

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24168&perpage=15&highlight=intake&pagenumber=3

esmith13
03-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Did that apply to the STANDARDCAI or A FI intended version?? And also was it a type-S?? The problem with our CAI is it's interior volume is so small. Maybe the Type-S one is the size of the TB? If that was the case i would agree whole-hartedly.

Eric

02SilverSiHB
03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Did that apply to the STANDARDCAI or A FI intended version?? And also was it a type-S?? The problem with our CAI is it's interior volume is so small. Maybe the Type-S one is the size of the TB? If that was the case i would agree whole-hartedly.

Eric
? hhhmm, I'm sure it was a standard one...my injen's interior part of the cai is pretty big...just as big as the tb...are others not?
Yeah, it was on a type s, so the gains won't be as high, but the cai is better according to them.
And there is a FI CAI out there?

02SilverSiHB
03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
either way, I'll find out when I get it dynoed...I can just take off the cai connection and slap on a sri.

I'll do 2 runs with the cai then 2 runs with the sri.

esmith13
03-19-2004, 04:16 PM
The AEM CAI for the EP has piping a little smaller than the TB. I hated that about mine... While the K&N Typhoon SRI I had before it was the exact size of the TB.

And no, i have not seen a FI CAI for the EP yet... But I've seen them on the B-series and the piping is MONSTER sized...

Eric

02SilverSiHB
03-19-2004, 04:16 PM
The AEM CAI for the EP ha piping a little smaller than the TB. I hated that about mine... While the K&N Typhoon SRI I had before it was the exact size of the TB.

Eric
I've always though the aem was smaller looking, explains it then. The injen cai is definitely at least the same size as the tb..inside. if not bigger.
I'll probably be bored today and measure it to see :D

02SilverSiHB
03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
The AEM CAI for the EP ha piping a little smaller than the TB. I hated that about mine... While the K&N Typhoon SRI I had before it was the exact size of the TB.

Eric
I've always though the aem was smaller looking, explains it then. The injen cai is definitely at least the same size as the tb..inside. if not bigger.
I'll probably be bored today and measure it to see :D
and I fucking hate how slow this epsnatch is...I have to wait sometimes for a while to reply...

2k2hawksi
03-23-2004, 02:06 PM
is it possible to use a fmic with the jrsc

02SilverSiHB
03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 2k2hawksi
is it possible to use a fmic with the jrsc
no