PDA

View Full Version : slaveOne- Massachusetts

slave0ne
03-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Just got my new 04 nighthawk black si last week...looking forward to modding it. Any ideas on nice 16 " wheels for a total n0000b?

;-jason

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzE3MzIzNnMOMTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

slave0ne
03-18-2004, 09:38 PM
i dont know why it didnt show up. any suggestions?

maybe I can link it instead:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzE3MzIzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Civicvtec1ps
03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzE3MzIzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzE3NTg0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Have fun modding.

slave0ne
03-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Nice! how did you do that?

I was just about to replace in the brackets where it said url with img...and right when i did that you already edited it! cool..thanks a lot man.

Would replacing url with img do the trick??

;-j

phatfreeza
03-19-2004, 12:13 AM
nice and shiny! good luck keeping it that way!!! welcome to the family!

MyFlySi
03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Ah yes a fellow '04 owner. 5-lug rules! Welcome to the club brutha. I took delivery with 7 miles on the odo. Lookin' at your pictures is like looking at a mirror shot of my baby...'cept you have your plates and lack the door ding I recieved ONE F**KING WEEK AFTER I BOUGHT THE G**DAMNED CAR!! http://forums.clubsi.com/images/icons/mad.gif

Have fun with it man.:cool:

YooShin
03-19-2004, 11:13 AM
I like those stock wheels. A lot better then the 02-03s. How about some bronze Mugen MF8s or MF10s? Rota makes some replicas if $$$ is an issue. By the way, are you an intergalactic bounty hunter;) ?

k20hatch
03-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Woo hoo another si on the streets :D Whats your plans for it other than some wheels?

Low Rider
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Nice... ahhh, the 5 bolt pattern. Boy do I have the rims for you!!! :D

http://www.aj-racing.com/Specials/SA90/WedsEP2.jpg

oogy-boogy
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Purdy....

Another MA'er to add to the meet list....:D

slave0ne
03-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey..not sure what to do first cause I am such a total n00b, but I'll probably start with the suspension. I am not sure If I am going to mod it before the warranty is up or not. If not I will probably just do very minor things(wheel/tires, tint, ice,ect...) and keep it mostly stock.

I am totally open to suggestions though.

What kind of wheels are those on the white ep3 above^?

;-j

super_si_45
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
drop that sucka! drop it like its mada fagin hot!

EP3inRI
03-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by slave0ne
I'll probably start with the suspension. I am not sure If I am going to mod it before the warranty is up or not.

;-j
Suggestions to a fellow New Englander, if you wanna drop it for everyday use, I wouldn't go much lower than 1.5"... if you really wanna slam it for the summer, go with coilovers (if you don't mind adjusting for the seasons). My last Civic HB was only dropped two inches and it was like a snow plow in the winter, I would push snow all over the place until my car was stuck on top of it... I thought about waiting until the warranty was up to mod also, but unless Honda can prove without a doubt that the after market part you installed caused a warrantable repair they have to cover it. But, if you lower the car and blow out a shock, it's your problem. But if you lower the car and you blow the engine, they pay. My advise is to keep as much of the OEM stuff you take off, so if there is a problem, you can return it to stock and have the problem repaired. I've heard nightmare stories of people who blow the engine and the dealer won't cover it because of the cold air intake. So put the stock intake back on and then send it in for service, etc... Good luck with your EP and I hope to see you at New England meets this summer.

slave0ne
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah. thanks for the heads up on pushin snow...I definitely don't wanna be doin that! As for lowering my ep3: I do like the looks of it lowered, but that is not a priority. If i lowered it, it would be more for performance then for looks...I can't see my self constantly adjusting the height...it would be for year round daily use. that being said....would you think that the mugen sport suspension would be good for what I want? Improved handling, 1.5 inch drop without turning it into a snowplow, and basically maintence free(no adjusting once in place) for the most part?

also: do I need new wheels and tires if I get the mugen suspension? its more important to get rear upper and lower sway bars right? what about front sway bars? Will I be better off if i get a camber kit with the mugen sport suspension?

one more thing: can you lower the ep3 with the stock suspension(n00b question, i know..sorry)

thanks,
-jason

Gearhead Geek
03-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Most important suspension upgrades (in my book) to do off the bat:
Rear swaybar (Neuspeed or Progress, as they are both 22mm and both come with rear tie braces, however i'd suggest the Neuspeed, as I've heard of clearance issues with aftermarket exhausts with the Progress)
Front strut tower brace (Pretty much take your pick of which to get. Neuspeed is $90 from robear racing, and it works great, BUT it's a bitch to put on)
Lower it (A lot of New England people like the Pro-Kit, since it's a mild drop, and doesn't throw the camber off too much. Personally I love my Sportlines, but, you do need a camber kit with them)

And, while you're at it, get yourself an intake. The stock airbox is EXTREMELY restrictive. Doesn't really matter what kind you get (CAI or SRI), as they both perform about the same. Just don't waste your money on the AEM V2, it's all a gimic.

Hope this helps.

pLopSI
03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey, welcome to the Massachusetts EP family. To answer ur questions. The mugen suspension is a good choice if u find it annoying to adjust them. But u can probably go for a cheaper coilover set, set ur desired ride height, and just leave it. By going with a cheaper coilover set over the mugens, u'll have some leftover money for a small mod.

From what I've heard, the majority of EPs felt that they have had the best results with only replacing the rear sway. I'm still on my stock sways so I can only take other people's opinions.

Lastly, IMO, a reasonable drop with just springs would be between the eibach pro-kit (lowers 1") and the sportlines (approx 1.5"). U'll most likely need a camber kit if u go 1.5" or lower. Eventually, ur shocks may blow out; time frame depending on how low u go and road conditions in ur area. But it sounds like the best choice for u is to either go with that mugen or full coilover setup.

slave0ne
03-21-2004, 03:07 AM
I figured I have about 2300.00 to put in to my car at the moment.

In everyones opions, what do you think the best way to spend this money on my new car would be? What would you spend 2300.00 on for a bone stock 2004 ep3?

I plan on never really racing, and to just use it for a daily ride here in the northeast...I also would like it to look more stealthy than, and I wouldn't mind improving the ride, although I am not looking to add a turbo or anything like that. Basically, I want to add a little to the apperance and a little to the overal ride. In what direction would you send me with a 2300.00 dolllar budget right off the bat?

any and all advise is greatly appreciated. thanks,

-jason

pLopSI
03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Well the majority of us would be in favor of performance mods. If u had a lil more money, I would suggest going for the civic-R kit. But with 2300 and for looks: tein basics, decent 16" or 17" wheels, tint, and whatever interior/exterior accents (i.e. shift-knob, pedals, jdm honda emblems, etc). Happy modding :D

Gearhead Geek
03-22-2004, 05:45 PM
If you're lookin for suspension/handling, here's my suggestion:

Neuspeed 22mm Rear Sway $308.16 (ultrarev.com)
Neuspeed 27mm Front Sway $169.47 (ultrarev.com)
Eibach Sportlines $171.92 (ultrarev.com)
SPC Camber Kit $135 (spc.danscreations.com)
Neuspeed Short Shifter $92.42 (ultrarev.com)
Neuspeed Front Strut Brace $99 (robearracing.com)
Shipping (High Estimate) $100

And that will leave you with $1224.03 for a nice set of rims and tires. Also, a lot of people don't like upgrading the front sway bar. I didn't much at first, but since I've done it, I've grown to like it a lot more. There is a SLIGHT bit of understeer with it (as opposed to the feeling of oversteer that you get by just upgrading the rear sway), however, it really does help to get your tires digging in on hard turns, and just makes the car feel generally more stable.

Just my .02

WideBody EP3
03-22-2004, 05:53 PM
I have a brand new Carbon Fiber hood if your interested. I live in Mass my self. let me know man Oh yea Congrats

i-WERKS
03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
Nice... ahhh, the 5 bolt pattern. Boy do I have the rims for you!!! :D

http://www.aj-racing.com/Specials/SA90/WedsEP2.jpg
:eek:
Do they make them in 4 bolt? Those are possibly the nicest rims i have ever seen.

slave0ne
03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
yeah, those wheels look very hot!
Just saw the price on that set. 1000.00 is a little over my head unfortunately.

Widebody ep3: How much do you want for the CF hood? I probably cant afford that right off the batt, but Im just curious anyways. Why are you selling it?
I live in western mass too. Where are you located? I am living in South Hadley now, right next to holyoke.

-jason

WideBody EP3
03-23-2004, 07:53 AM
HEY slaveone i live in west springfield, i'm looking for $350 for the hood. It is Brand new and only mounted once on the car for test fitting only. The reason i'm selling the he i bought a different Carbon fiber hood already, and i need to get rid of this one. send me an email and let me know if your intersted. blackvtec02@aol.com

STP03BlueSI
03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Welcome aboard. Nice lookin EP. Keep it clean, and dont get your self in debit with buyin product:(

slave0ne
03-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, thanks for all the replies...I am getting really close to throwing some cash down on some aftermarket parts.

As for wheels Im trying to decide between the Volk united arrow s-05 in gunmetal, the wedport sa90, or rota c10 or roats grids in bronze. Here is another bunch of n00bie questions:
If I were to get 17 inch tires and wheels, what size should i get? And by getting different sized tires then the stock size tires, will that throw off my odometer readings? Will my Odometer read incorectly? Is there a way to adjust the odometer for bigger tires? Will I need to flash the ecu or something like that?

As for suspension, I think I will save some money for now and go with either eibach sportlines, or H+R sports. I was considering the mugen sport kit, but I think I could better use the extra money for other mods at the moment, and then upgrade to the mugen coilovers in the future.
I am not too sure I fully understand about coilovers...do they fully replace the stock shocks?

I was think of getting a rear camber kit, a rear sway bar, and was not sure if I should get a front sway bar or not.

How do people feel about shortshifters? big improvement?

I will post pics as soon as I get my first series of mods done. One more thing: Does anyone here in the CT, MA, NH, NY area know of any good shops that specialize in installing aftermarket parts into our cars? I am looking for a fair auto shop that can get my installs done nicely. OR maybe there is someone willing to help me do it myself?

Thanks,
-Jason

Gearhead Geek
03-27-2004, 12:12 AM
As for rims/tires...if you wanna get 17's, I'd recommend 17x7's...and wrap them in 215/45R17's...that would keep you closest to the stock speedo readings. As for which rims to get, I couldn't tell ya. Personally I love my Motegi's, but I didn't buy them for looks really or even much for quality. I bought them cause they were cheap and allowed me to put better and beefier rubber on :)

Yes, full coilovers replace the stock shocks.

As for the installs, if you wanna go to a shop, the biggest thing is just to go and check out the condition of the shop. If it's very disorganized and seems like a crummy place, the quality of the work they do is probably the same. Or of course, you could just ask around to people on here. Those of us in the NH/MA area tend to be pretty helpful people, and I know at least two of us love doing installs of just about any kind :)

And lastly, the short shifter is definately a huge improvement. Takes a little getting used to, especially with our shifter setup in general, but, it's definately worth the $90 or so for it.

slave0ne
03-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Great! thanks for all the information Gearhead, much obliged.
As for the speedo changes from other than stock tires, how much will that change effect my investment? is it something that kills the resale value of the car? Is it something that can be adjusted to work with a different than stock tire?

thanks for all the friendly advise!

;-j

p.s.
im itchin to get the ball rollin with modding my car...must...lower...quick...

Gearhead Geek
03-27-2004, 02:05 PM
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
great link for figuring out how much the speedo will be off by with different sized tires ;). generally, if your "plus" size your tires correctly, the difference should be barely noticeable.
as for affecting your investment, yes, it might affect the resale value a bit, but that's why you should hold on to your stock rims/tires (as well as all of your other stock components, if you ever plan to sell the car). besides, they make good tires for doing burnouts ;)

slave0ne
03-29-2004, 05:18 PM
oh my god...tryin to keep this black si clean is a bitch up here in NewEngland. i just did my first half assed wax but could'nt finish the back end because it got too dark and condensation started building up. I did a crappy job on the front end and right side because of that too. Imust have been doin it wrong because in the house lights i could see spider webbing. I guess I just have to learn not to be too anal about it or I'll drive myself crazy.

anyways...I think I know what I am gonna get for my first mods...

1)gunmetal 17x7 united arrow s-05 wheels
2)potenza s-03 tires in 225/45/17(will this size work?) was told wider would be better for performance.
3)mugen suport suspension(was just gonna get the eibach sportlines, but I figured I should just go all out while I am feeling spendy)
4)neuspeed 22mm rear sway bar
5)neuspeed front strut brace
6)neuspeed short shifter
7)spc rear camber kit
8)maybe tint if I can afford it.

My budget turned out to be a little over what I previously stated...I would get some more suspension parts, but I need the rest of my money for glassblowing equipment.

So does this sound like a good way to start with my suspension? any other suggestions? did I leave anything more important out? should I substitute what I listed above for something more benificial? what do people think about going with the mugen kit over the sportline springs? I dont care about adjusting ride height at this point and probably wont in the future(if I do care in the future, then I will do something about it at that point).

thanks for all the help! and thank you gearheadgeek for the tips.

LiLxKeNnY
03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
you dont need a camber kit with the mugen suspensions ... save your money ... i used the tein basics ... dropped it 2 in ... n still i use no camber kit ... 1.4 in drop ... u definitely dont need it ...

Gearhead Geek
03-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by LiLxKeNnY
you dont need a camber kit with the mugen suspensions ... save your money ... i used the tein basics ... dropped it 2 in ... n still i use no camber kit ... 1.4 in drop ... u definitely dont need it ...

acctually, with a 1.4 inch drop, you do. the Sportlines are 1.4/1.5, and they land the rear camber at about -1.6, which, while great in terms of handling (depending on the type of driving you do), really sucks in terms of tire wear.

oogy-boogy
03-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by slave0ne
oh my god...tryin to keep this black si clean is a bitch up here in NewEngland. i just did my first half assed wax but could'nt finish the back end because it got too dark and condensation started building up. I did a crappy job on the front end and right side because of that too. Imust have been doin it wrong because in the house lights i could see spider webbing. I guess I just have to learn not to be too anal about it or I'll drive myself crazy.

anyways...I think I know what I am gonna get for my first mods...

1)gunmetal 17x7 united arrow s-05 wheels
2)potenza s-03 tires in 225/45/17(will this size work?) was told wider would be better for performance.
3)mugen suport suspension(was just gonna get the eibach sportlines, but I figured I should just go all out while I am feeling spendy)
4)neuspeed 22mm rear sway bar
5)neuspeed front strut brace
6)neuspeed short shifter
7)spc rear camber kit
8)maybe tint if I can afford it.

My budget turned out to be a little over what I previously stated...I would get some more suspension parts, but I need the rest of my money for glassblowing equipment.

So does this sound like a good way to start with my suspension? any other suggestions? did I leave anything more important out? should I substitute what I listed above for something more benificial? what do people think about going with the mugen kit over the sportline springs? I dont care about adjusting ride height at this point and probably wont in the future(if I do care in the future, then I will do something about it at that point).

thanks for all the help! and thank you gearheadgeek for the tips.

Great shopping list.

You need to post up some pics of your glassblowing! I love art. :) :cool:

Also, if you're a little unsure as to what mods to buy feel free to take my EP out for a spin on install day. It has a few items on your list already installed. I'm sure a few of the other members would be willing to at least take you for a ride ;)

slave0ne
03-30-2004, 03:36 PM
How do you guys feel about a 25 mm rear sway bar over the 22mm rear sway bar? I just ordered the mugen sports suspension kit and the guy at King told me that 22mm was a little small and that 25mm was the way to go.

Also, I am trying to decide between 16 or 17 inch tires...
If I go with 17s, I was thinking of 225/45/R17
And I am not really sure what size 16 I should get...I guess either 205/55/16(2004 stock) or 205/50/16. I know that the 17 will throw my odo off a bit, but it will make it seem like there is less miles on it than there really is(which I dont mind). I also know that the 17 inch tires will make my car a little slower off-the-line, but will improve cornering and handling in general because of the wider tire and bigger contact patch because of it. The guy at King said that 225/45/R17 is a good choice for 17s.

Does anyone know if there will be rubbing issues on a lowered ep3 with mugen suspension and 225/45/R17 tires?

Do you guys think that the slower off-the-line speed with the 17s will make a big noticable difference? Is the trade-off in off-the-line speed for better handling worth it?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. BTW, I will update this thread with new pics of my ep3 as soon as I get and install everything on my shopping list.

pce,
-J

Gearhead Geek
03-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, with a 25mm rear sway, you're more than likely gonna run into exhaust clearance issues, especially if you put an aftermarket exhaust on. Also, the 22mm bars (Progress and Neuspeed) both come with lower tie bars, which I'm not sure if the Mugen 25mm does.