PDA

View Full Version : who's making their own kits??

Ep3_kid
03-18-2004, 09:39 PM
am i the only one?? i'm building a custom set-up for my ep and wanted to know who's doing the same thing. my turbo goes in, in a couple of weeks :D ;) :D ;)
i think is cheaper and if you think about it, better because you get the parts that you want.

ATRIOT
03-18-2004, 09:42 PM
I think Danoonez is working on a little something something..

Ph0nK
03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm doing my own kit, but probably next winter b/c I need to save up the money and do some research first, but I'm definitely planning on doing it.

If you dont' mind, could you post a lot of pics of the install when you do it? I'm interested to see how the intercooler mounts up, how many bends for charge piping to get, and how you mount the turbine.

good luck!

danoonez
03-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
I think Danoonez is working on a little something something..

Shhhhh. I'm tryin to keep this on the downlow.;) Nah it's not a big deal, I just haven't said much about it b/c I know it will take a long time (for my poor college student a**) to purchase all the necessary parts. But yes, I am working on putting together my own kit, and as of right now am actively working on acquiring a turbocharger. I've done quite a bit of research, so I'm perfectly willing to help out anybody if I can. Just hit me up on AIM: danoonez

siver-SI
03-18-2004, 10:48 PM
oK dumb question but why would this be good to do? Most of the time I find it better to buy a hole kit then to buy it in parts. Also how do you know how well the system is going to work?

danoonez
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
oK dumb question but why would this be good to do? Most of the time I find it better to buy a hole kit then to buy it in parts. Also how do you know how well the system is going to work?

Because it's more fun, normally cheaper, and more customizable to put together your own kit. And it will probably end up working better than a "full turbo kit" from a company b/c I plan on using K-Pro instead of the piggy-backs that come with kits. It's not like this is a trial and error process so I don't know why you ask "how do you know how well the system is going to work."

danoonez
03-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by danoonez
...and as of right now am actively working on acquiring a turbocharger...

And I just lost it. Somebody decided to fork over the $450 for they buy it now option. Darnit

siver-SI
03-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Because it's more fun, normally cheaper, and more customizable to put together your own kit. And it will probably end up working better than a "full turbo kit" from a company b/c I plan on using K-Pro instead of the piggy-backs that come with kits. It's not like this is a trial and error process so I don't know why you ask "how do you know how well the system is going to work."

When I ment how well will it work I ment in HP not relaibility.

danoonez
03-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Ah alright, I understand the question now.

As long as you a) get a turbocharger that flows as well and is efficient as the ones the kits use (which is why I asked Cybernation what size T3/T4 they use) and b) tune it correctly, it'll will make just as much horsepower as any kit can offer.

Ep3_kid
03-19-2004, 11:29 PM
another pro for this kind of kit is that you have a lot of parts to chose from, instead of buying a kit that all of them basicly have the same parts with different manifold set-ups and downpipes. there are a lot of used parts that can be used as well. so it's going to be a lot cheaper than a company kit. just my 2 cents

danoonez
03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Ep3_kid
another pro for this kind of kit is that you have a lot of parts to chose from, instead of buying a kit that all of them basicly have the same parts with different manifold set-ups and downpipes. there are a lot of used parts that can be used as well. so it's going to be a lot cheaper than a company kit. just my 2 cents

Precisely! It's just so much more fun and 10x more educational to piece it all together.

Ep3_kid
03-19-2004, 11:47 PM
i got a question, how much does the k-pro cost?? and is it better than using the cybenation guardian box. i'd rather have a stand alone, but i heard good things about this guardian thing. do you have to use a missing link and a 3 map sensor with the k-pro?? do we have to worry about an ignition management to retard the timing. i dont think so because we have the vtc system, right?? im a little newb turbocharging a k-series, but i have experience in a b-series.
danoonez, have you thought about that?? what are your plans if you dont mind me asking. whats the adventage of using the k-pro over the guardian??

danoonez
03-19-2004, 11:54 PM
i got a question, how much does the k-pro cost?? and is it better than using the cybenation guardian box. i'd rather have a stand alone, but i heard good things about this guardian thing. do you have to use a missing link and a 3 map sensor with the k-pro?? do we have to worry about an ignition management to retard the timing. i dont think so because we have the vtc system, right?? im a little newb turbocharging a k-series, but i have experience in a b-series.
danoonez, have you thought about that?? what are your plans if you dont mind me asking. whats the adventage of using the k-pro over the guardian??

The gaurdian is an amazing creation (provided it behaves like it's been said to behave) and is the next generation of piggy-back computers. However, like you, I would rather have a full stand alone like K-Pro and do the tuning myself instead of worrying about whether or not the Guardian is doing it's "gaurding."

So to answer your questions: The K-Pro costs $995 for the K20A2 ecu, and I would imagine that the K20A3 ecu will be in the same neighborhood when it is released. You do not need the missing link or a new MAP sensor with K-Pro b/c it alread has provision for boost built into it. With K-Pro you can boost up to 11 psi without any problems. Timing (I assume) is controllable with K-Pro so you wouldn't need any "ignition management" either.

I am dead set on buying K-Pro for fuel management.

What is your B-series experience, if you don't mind me asking. I can always appreciate a good ol' boosted Honda engine.:cool:

siver-SI
03-20-2004, 07:32 AM
I would like to hear reveiws on build your own kits. I am going to wait till my warrety is up befor I do the turbo but after that I thought I may have to wait an extra year to get all the cash together for a turbo,. If a build your own kit is cheaper and I can work it into a budget better this may be the ticket for me.

Ph0nK
03-20-2004, 09:04 AM
The gaurdian is an amazing creation (provided it behaves like it's been said to behave) and is the next generation of piggy-back computers. However, like you, I would rather have a full stand alone like K-Pro and do the tuning myself instead of worrying about whether or not the Guardian is doing it's "gaurding."

So to answer your questions: The K-Pro costs $995 for the K20A2 ecu, and I would imagine that the K20A3 ecu will be in the same neighborhood when it is released. You do not need the missing link or a new MAP sensor with K-Pro b/c it alread has provision for boost built into it. With K-Pro you can boost up to 11 psi without any problems. Timing (I assume) is controllable with K-Pro so you wouldn't need any "ignition management" either.

So, what does the stock ECU do when it sees boost in the neighborhood of 7-8.5psi? I'd love to get a K-Pro too when I build this, but that's an extra $1000, so if the car will run perfectly well with like a VAFC on lower boost (7psi) until I can afford to buy a k-pro, that's what I want to do.

Think our car will run ok with just a fuel management piggyback?

danoonez
03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ph0nK
So, what does the stock ECU do when it sees boost in the neighborhood of 7-8.5psi? I'd love to get a K-Pro too when I build this, but that's an extra $1000, so if the car will run perfectly well with like a VAFC on lower boost (7psi) until I can afford to buy a k-pro, that's what I want to do.

Think our car will run ok with just a fuel management piggyback?

If the stock ecu sees boost, it shuts down. Turbo kits include a way of fooling the ecu, ex. Cybernation's Black Magic. So to answer your question, the VAFC would be fine for adding fuel (Cybernation uses SAFC) but you would still need a way to trick your ecu so it wouldn't shut down when it sees boost.

Ph0nK
03-21-2004, 09:02 AM
If the stock ecu sees boost, it shuts down. Turbo kits include a way of fooling the ecu, ex. Cybernation's Black Magic. So to answer your question, the VAFC would be fine for adding fuel (Cybernation uses SAFC) but you would still need a way to trick your ecu so it wouldn't shut down when it sees boost.

So the Cybernation kit comes with their Black Magic to manage the signals going to the ECU and an SAFC to manage fuel?

Ep3_kid
03-21-2004, 05:00 PM
if you dont have the funds for the k-pro, the black magic and the safc 2 will work just fine. the differecne is that the k-pro is a stand alone and the black magic is a piggyback.
i will start with the piggyback until someone else comes out with something cheaper like uberdata or hondata price goes down a little. we should make like a group buy for the k-pro. :D ;)

danoonez
03-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Ph0nK
So the Cybernation kit comes with their Black Magic to manage the signals going to the ECU and an SAFC to manage fuel?

I do know that the Black Magic fools the ecu so that it doesn't shut down and I do know that Cybernation uses an SAFC to control fuel, but beyond that, I honestly have no idea. The best person to talk to about Black Magic would be esmith or boostjunkie.

Ep3_kid
03-23-2004, 06:35 AM
what's SFP fuel management unit?? hondata??? is the black magic and hondata the only choice we have, does anybody know if uberdata is coming with something for us?? or aem ?? im stock in what to use as my fuel management.
why am i poor??? whyy whyyyyyy??? :( :(

danoonez
03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
what's SFP fuel management unit?? hondata??? is the black magic and hondata the only choice we have, does anybody know if uberdata is coming with something for us?? or aem ?? im stock in what to use as my fuel management.
why am i poor??? whyy whyyyyyy??? :( :(

SFP has their own FMU just like Cybernation has their own FMU.

I don't know about uberdata, but I do know that an AEM EMS for the Si is in the works.

2fastcivic
05-21-2004, 10:53 PM
any updates from the people customizing their own turbos?? i have been really thinking of doing this.

bobdobbs
05-21-2004, 11:01 PM
What do you do for manifolds?

oldschoolimport
05-22-2004, 12:08 AM
hey dan, next time you see me on AIM, holla at me. I have an upgrade intercooler that I got for my mr2 that never made it on the car.;)

danoonez
05-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic
any updates from the people customizing their own turbos?? i have been really thinking of doing this.

I have my turbo sitting on my desk and I'm talking with a shop in Austin that wants to design a custom manifold (and charge piping to go with it) for the K-Series.

Originally posted by bobdobbs
What do you do for manifolds?

Either buy one from RevHard, Cybernation, SFP, Ultimate-Racing, or anybody else that's making turbo kits/manifolds for the K-Series. OBX is making one now that's supposedly a lot better quality than the manifolds they make for the B-Series. Or you can get a custom manifold made (like I'm working on doing).

Originally posted by oldschoolimport
hey dan, next time you see me on AIM, holla at me. I have an upgrade intercooler that I got for my mr2 that never made it on the car.;)

:cool: I'll keep that in mind...but I don't remember your SN :o . Sorry, PM me or post it up.

bobdobbs
05-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Or you can get a custom manifold made (like I'm working on doing).

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

;)

danoonez
05-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

;)

LMAO you sonuvabitch

2fastcivic
05-22-2004, 11:19 AM
what kind of turbo are you using for your kit?? oh and how much is the shop charging you for the custom manifold and piping??

danoonez
05-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm using a Turbonetics T3/T4.

As far as pricing, that hasn't all been figured out yet. You'll know as soon as I know.

Ep3_kid
05-23-2004, 07:28 PM
all i need to finish my kit is the manifold and downpipe !!! woohoo.. i'll be done by next month :D :D

danoonez
05-23-2004, 08:17 PM
That's awesome bro. Did you end up buying those Precision injectors from your buddy at the price he said he could get.

Shoot, why the hell not list all your parts here. I know I will when I'm done. Let's hear it man.:cool:

Ep3_kid
05-23-2004, 08:36 PM
precision sc61 turbo (60 . a/r 69 trim)
precision 600hp intercooler
tial 38 mm wastegate
tial BOV
sfp manifold (not bought yet)
custom 3" downpipe (in the works)
custom piping
rc 550 injectors
fast-trubo.com oil return and feed line kits
exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel
k-pro (waiting for it, since i got an email from hondata telling me they should release it sssssooooooonnnnn )
here is the mail i got from hondata a few weeks ago

:D :D

Reply-To : "Matt" <matt@hondata.com>
Sent : Monday, May 3, 2004 7:07 PM
To : ????????me???????
Subject : Re: k-pro for k20a3???

| | | Inbox

We should be releasing it for the Base RSX in about a week. Look for the SI in the next few weeks after that.

Hondata Inc.
386 Beech Ave
Unit B-2
Torrance, CA 90501
310.782.6383 FAX

danoonez
05-24-2004, 07:52 AM
K-Pro for the Si is out. You need to stop spending so much time on clubrsx and stick with your home site.:D ;)

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38248

Ep3_kid
05-24-2004, 09:40 AM
K-Pro for the Si is out. You need to stop spending so much time on clubrsx and stick with your home site.:D ;)

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38248

lol, that's true

2fastcivic
05-24-2004, 12:15 PM
nice ep3kid. how much was your total spent when you are finally done w/ your kit?? oh and remmeber to get pics when you are done.

Ep3_kid
05-24-2004, 09:31 PM
nice ep3kid. how much was your total spent when you are finally done w/ your kit?? oh and remmeber to get pics when you are done.

ill get you pics of my parts laying around my bedroom.. lol.. it's a mess !! :mad: :mad:

2fastcivic
06-09-2004, 09:22 AM
any updates??

ep_nezay
06-10-2004, 02:27 AM
I have some 440cc RC injectors for sale if anyone is interested:p

tony speed
06-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Ah alright, I understand the question now.

As long as you a) get a turbocharger that flows as well and is efficient as the ones the kits use (which is why I asked Cybernation what size T3/T4 they use) and b) tune it correctly, it'll will make just as much horsepower as any kit can offer.

you probably want to sit down and look at the charts for the turbo and compare it to a dyno chart to make sure you get a turbo that fits well with your engine.

danoonez
06-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by tony speed
you probably want to sit down and look at the charts for the turbo and compare it to a dyno chart to make sure you get a turbo that fits well with your engine.

That's why I asked for the numbers (trim, A/R) from the turbochargers that prominent companies such as Cybernation, SFP, and Rev Hard use with their kits; I assumed they would have already done some research in their choosing a turbo size.

Ep3_kid
06-11-2004, 06:00 PM
That's why I asked for the numbers (trim, A/R) from the turbochargers that prominent companies such as Cybernation, SFP, and Rev Hard use with their kits; I assumed they would have already done some research in their choosing a turbo size.

you dont really have to buy the same exact turbo the companies are using, just look at the compressor map of the turbo and you make your decisions !! ;)

by the way, i didnt have time to put the kit on, some shit happened to my dad the last couple of weeks and i had to put all my money on him, so the kit will have to wait a couple of weeks more.
i'll post a whole how-to once i have time/moeny to do it, and ill also post pics of my parts. i dont have a dig cam.

danoonez
06-11-2004, 10:58 PM
you dont really have to buy the same exact turbo the companies are using, just look at the compressor map of the turbo and you make your decisions !! ;)

by the way, i didnt have time to put the kit on, some shit happened to my dad the last couple of weeks and i had to put all my money on him, so the kit will have to wait a couple of weeks more.
i'll post a whole how-to once i have time/moeny to do it, and ill also post pics of my parts. i dont have a dig cam.

Yeah I know but it's kind of a bitch searching around for Turbonetics compressor maps. Anway I already have my turbo now, but it was back in the day when I was asking all the companies.

When you do the how-to, please PLEASE take lots of pictures when you drop the subframe and take off the oil pan; that's the only thing that still concerns me.

2fastcivic
06-13-2004, 04:01 PM
are you guys getting custom piping done??? how about the manifold?? i see the obx ones on ebaby. or those any good?? i know some rsx guys on clubrsx used the obx for their custom turbos.

Ep3_kid
06-13-2004, 04:56 PM
are you guys getting custom piping done??? how about the manifold?? i see the obx ones on ebaby. or those any good?? i know some rsx guys on clubrsx used the obx for their custom turbos.

no dont use them, they crack. i ask the same question in honda-tech.com and clubrsx and everybody had problems with them. dont use them. as far as piping goes, yeah i'll be making my own piping

2fastcivic
06-13-2004, 05:22 PM
thanks for the info about the manifold. where are you gonna buy the piping at?? do you have someone that can bend the pipes for you???

Ep3_kid
06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
thanks for the info about the manifold. where are you gonna buy the piping at?? do you have someone that can bend the pipes for you???

you should buy u-bends. those bends are mandrel bended and are perfect to make i/c pipings. i bought mine from a friend. 90 degrees 45 degrees and some straight pipes. when ill be doing the install ill have to weld them however i want/have to rout them, you know what i mean. the manifold, im going to buy a sfp manifold and a 3" downpipe is going to be made for me.

spookyoen
06-22-2004, 06:25 PM
I've talked to Geoff at Full-Race motorsports in attempts to get him to make me a manifold for the SI. He told me that they have worked on one for the K24 and that they were looking into the K20s. I'll update when I get some more info from him. I know their B-series manifolds were well made and very strong so it would be great if they worked on one for our motors.

danoonez
06-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I've talked to Geoff at Full-Race motorsports in attempts to get him to make me a manifold for the SI.

That would be hotness. He's already made a K-series manifold, but it was for their hybrid Ek and I'm not sure it would fit in the Ep's bay. An Ep-specific manifold from Full-Race would be nice.

Ep3_kid
06-22-2004, 09:52 PM
old news guys, i've already talked to him and he'll make mine :tongue: :tongue:

>To: "DaMiAn AsToRgA" <dami_bmxer@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: full race K series manifold
>Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:14:57 -0700
>
>Ok Damian --
>
>knowing that you already have the turbo, i will need you to send it to me if you want to get it to work. We never use precision turbos for a variety of reasons, one of them being they fit tight spots much worse than garrett turbos. I dont know if you are open to the idea of swapping the turbo out for a garrett style we can definately guarantee that we can make this turbo setup fit and work with a garrett turbo, but can not guarantee anything with the precision turbo.
>
>the main difference between the two is that the precision uses the Ford style 5 bolt housings whereas garrett uses a GT style tangential 4 bolt housing.
>
>
>
>Geoff Raicer
>Full Race Motorsports
>www.full-race.com
>

danoonez
06-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Make your own manifold. :tongue:

excivic98
06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
I am buying a complete rev hard kit from a friend of mine who had the kit on his 2000 si, I am getting everything but the IC piping. I found a place from a thread on here that sells piping so that is done. So I need to find a manifold for my car, my question is how do I go about making my own manifold or would it be cheaper to buy one.

2fastcivic
06-23-2004, 06:48 PM
i was just wondering if it is possible to use dsm 450cc injectors for our motors. im guessing not but i just wanted to make sure. i know the older models can use it.

2fastcivic
06-24-2004, 06:48 PM
back up top. anyone??? this place is really slow