PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Skunk2 knob upside down?

FurY
03-19-2004, 06:53 PM
I've been attempting to screw in my new Skunk2 knob but everytime I get it screwed on all the way it ends up being upside down (gears and R are upside down). Anyone know why this is? I know this is not a hard install at all but I can't seem to get it screwed on correctly and I don't think I can screw it on any tighter. Please help, thanks!

BSEVEER
03-19-2004, 08:22 PM
You can try putting something down inside the threaded hole so that it will screw on 1/2 turn less. You will need something 1/2 the thickness of the thread pitch.

Civicvtec1ps
03-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Use Locking Nut.

FurY
03-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Use Locking Nut.

How so exactly?

!@#$%
03-19-2004, 11:19 PM
put the locking nut on first before the knob.

Put the nut on upside down like this \_/

Then screw the knob on and tighten the two together twisting them in the opposite direction. When the two are screwed against each other it will keep the knob from spinning.

BarracksSi
03-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
You can try putting something down inside the threaded hole so that it will screw on 1/2 turn less. You will need something 1/2 the thickness of the thread pitch.

I used a locking nut for a few months, and now I've got something inserted inside the knob.

What did I shove in there? Well, um, some wrappers from a pack of Hall's cough drops that I had at the time.

I took some of the exterior wrapper, mushed it into a ball, put it in the hole, and screwed down the knob. The alignment wasn't quite right, so I took it back off and added some individual drop wrappers until it fit correctly.

The drawback is that the paper isn't very springy, and doesn't apply pressure like a small piece of rubber would. Maybe someday I'll drop in a piece of faucet washer or something.

The benefit over a locknut is that it's still pretty solid, and won't start spinning like a top if it accidentally gets turned the wrong way.

RedLight_Si
03-20-2004, 01:02 AM
How about a hex set screw?

BarracksSi
03-20-2004, 06:15 AM
I don't think the Skunk2 knob uses a set screw.

I wouldn't try adding one, either -- the locknut & junk-shoved-inside methods are both pretty sturdy.