PDA

View Full Version : Creaks? Knocks? and bumps?

Type X
10-06-2002, 01:34 PM
anyone else have any crazy sounds from their cars?

my rear shocks make a horrible creaky sound over bumps
and when i turn my wheels i hear a knocking more like a thump

so i just made an appt for honda
to fix that and oil change :)

anyone else?

- Mike

02SilverSiHB
10-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Type X

anyone else?

- Mike
well, when I'm pulling out of a parking space or pulling into one, I sometimes hear a real low knocking sound as I turn the wheel.
When I'm driving on some uneven roads (like bumps and pot holes here and there) I hear something coming from the shocks. Hard to explain...if it is even the shocks.

dustinhurley
10-06-2002, 02:38 PM
I have a few knocking noises when I turn the wheel at real slow speeds.

sonic imperial
10-07-2002, 06:13 AM
I've got noises coming from my car too. I often get a pop/clunk sound when you start off in first gear. I hear it come from the front end and feel it in the shifter. I also get popping sounds from the rear of the car, sounds like the brake rotors to me though because I hear it when I hit the brakes sometimes.

i-WERKS
10-07-2002, 06:39 AM
when I drive for the very first time in the morning. I always hear a clunking sound coming from all four corners when I brake. This only happens once though. After that it's fine for the rest of the day until the next morning.

AkronSi
10-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Same with me. Sometimes, it will happen later in the day if my car has been sitting for awhile. i was going to ask the dealer about it when I go in for my oil change.

HeelToePro
10-07-2002, 02:38 PM
It might be the ABS guys.

IMO I dont think Honda would make a car stupid and jacked up like that. This is not a Ford Focus POS you know...

myeverlovinsir
10-07-2002, 05:12 PM
This may or may not be the cause of your probs guys. I was contiually complaining to my dealer about vibration in the stearing and tires, but only for a short period of time, and after the car has been sitting for a few hours, and/or overnight.

The cause is the belting on the stock tires, they mentioned that the tires will develop a breif flat spot that is molded into the tire from sitting. This evens itself out after driving for a bit, and when the tires heat up. For the longest time I thought my steering was screwed or tires were unbalanced, etc. The dealer balanced the tires 3 times, and finally one of the older guys piped up with the tire settling idea. It made alot of sense, because it would go away after a short highway drive. By the way I am running stock michelin's, don't know if this is the case for everyone.

Anyway, hope this is what you are experiencing.

My Ever Lovin SIR...:p

i-WERKS
10-08-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Same with me. Sometimes, it will happen later in the day if my car has been sitting for awhile. i was going to ask the dealer about it when I go in for my oil change.

Does it sound like the brakes were sticking and then when you hit the brakes, they break loose? I don't think it's the ABS. I know what the ABS sounds like. This only clunks once on each wheel.
Let me know what the Dealer tells you.

civic hatch boi
10-18-2002, 05:24 PM
yeh. everytime i drive my car after it's been sitting. it makes a small sound from the front.. is it ok?? it's not bad is it?

Type X
10-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
yeh. everytime i drive my car after it's been sitting. it makes a small sound from the front.. is it ok?? it's not bad is it?

well after taking my car for service

my rear drivers side trailing arm needs to be replaced

:(

dustinhurley
10-18-2002, 05:44 PM
that initial noise after the car has been sitting is called "slapback" i believe. It's normal in Hondas.

IceD out N CALI
10-18-2002, 05:55 PM
no weird noises here

Spidey
10-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
I have a few knocking noises when I turn the wheel at real slow speeds.
i just heard this noise today on a real slow turn, like the wheel was rubbing against something. :o

DownTheHatch
10-18-2002, 07:23 PM
I hear a big "Dong!" noise from my muffler after the car is parked for awhile after use.

I hear a klunk from my front brakes when I use them after the car has been sitting.

I hear my shocks bottoming out in the rear, this is because of my lowering springs.

I hear klanking from my springs in front because they are for a 2001 civic, the coils tap each other.

I hear an occasional "POP" or backfire from my AEM intake, doesn't seem to happen anymore though.

I used to hear a weird noise from my driver side window when I rolled it up or down, but this went away.

My passenger side seat belt makes noise in the wind.

When I shift into reverse without coming to a complete stop I hear a grind.

When I press the pedal to the floor and drop the clutch my tires make a loud screech noise.

02TafWhtSi
10-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
When I press the pedal to the floor and drop the clutch my tires make a loud screech noise.

LOL - funny how that happens, huh!:D

Glix
10-18-2002, 10:38 PM
I hear a big "Dong!" noise from my muffler after the car is parked for awhile after use.

I hear a klunk from my front brakes when I use them after the car has been sitting.

I hear my shocks bottoming out in the rear, this is because of my lowering springs.

I hear klanking from my springs in front because they are for a 2001 civic, the coils tap each other.

I hear an occasional "POP" or backfire from my AEM intake, doesn't seem to happen anymore though.

I used to hear a weird noise from my driver side window when I rolled it up or down, but this went away.

Everything you listed happens to me as well. The most annoying one is the damn brake pop after the car sits for a while. I think it's an ABS thing. This is THE first Honda I have ever owned that did any of this shit, my 99 was rock solid and never made a peep.

02SilverSiHB
10-19-2002, 09:51 PM

1. I hear klanking from my springs in front because they are for a 2001 civic, the coils tap each other.

2. When I press the pedal to the floor and drop the clutch my tires make a loud screech noise.

1. Having 2001 civic coils/springs won't always account for the coil spring noise you hear. I even have it in my car with the progress springs made for ours. There is a fix. Progress came with some plastic things that wrap around the coils to prevent this sound from happening, that's why you see them on the stock si springs. If you didn't get any with your springs, just take the ones off from the stock springs. That's why I'm going to put those things on my new springs when I get a chance

2. Dude I have the same problem :D

myeverlovinsir
10-19-2002, 10:09 PM

man, and i thought my day was challenging....nice post! get 02silver to look at it "there is a fix"!

NamingException
10-20-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
when I drive for the very first time in the morning. I always hear a clunking sound coming from all four corners when I brake. This only happens once though. After that it's fine for the rest of the day until the next morning.

This doesn't happen to me with my Si, but it used to happen with the '01 LX coupe I traded in for it. Every single time I touched the brakes for the first time after the car had been sitting for a bit, the first press of the brake pedal would give a clunk. You could feel it in the pedal, too. Then it would go away and not happen again until the car had been sitting for a long time. I was going to get it checked out, but I got a new car instead...

Truthfully, I sort of miss that car. It had no balls whatsoever, which is why I traded it in for the Si- but believe it or not, the fit and finish was higher than that of my '02 Si. The Si feels more American, the LX felt more Japanese.

02SilverSiHB
11-23-2002, 08:56 AM

anyone else?

- Mike
dude I just got that damn knocking sound coming from my car! :mad:
And I hope I'm not screwed....I'm already lowered. I should have just waited a while like you are! :mad:

hacim
11-23-2002, 09:37 AM
Everytime I turn my car off and I have my driver side door open I can here the engine make a sqeeking sound. It only hapens when the motor is almost completly off. Any of you get this?

02SilverSiHB
11-23-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hacim
Everytime I turn my car off and I have my driver side door open I can here the engine make a sqeeking sound. It only hapens when the motor is almost completly off. Any of you get this?
is it like at "phhhhhsssssiiiiisshhhh" sound? Real quick, doesn't last long? If you have an aftermarket intake you can hear it more, it's normal. Just the intake I think. I can hear mine more when I put the short ram intake on

cbecker333
11-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

is it like at "phhhhhsssssiiiiisshhhh" sound? Real quick, doesn't last long? If you have an aftermarket intake you can hear it more, it's normal. Just the intake I think. I can hear mine more when I put the short ram intake on

Yep, thats the sound of the vacuum created by the engine. I never heard it until I slapped a CAI on there.

Also, about the popping from the brakes on first use - thats definitely normal. Most 02 Si owners I've talked to ,who really listen for it, have noticed it.

ep pilot
11-23-2002, 02:46 PM
The first week I heared a pop in the headliner, only noticible when the S/R was shut, that has gone away.

I still notice when the car is cold in the morning, there is a faint vibration while idling at a stop light, almost like the car is bouncing, drive the car for 15 min and you don't feel it??

-Ryan

02SilverSiHB
11-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Well that knocking sound I heard when I turned the wheel would happen at low speeds, or when I was at a dead stop....not when pressing my brakes, so it's not the abs, I know what that sounds like.

So I put my car on some jacks and turned the wheel.....no sound, quite as could be.

So then I put the car back down.....turn the wheel now there is no sound.

I keep turning and turning and finally it comes back, but is faint sounding. I checked my springs,shocks, bars, etc, couldn't get anything visual. It actually sounds like it's coming from somewhere internally from the steering. And it only happens when I turn the wheel to the left

2fastcivic
11-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
Well that knocking sound I heard when I turned the wheel would happen at low speeds, or when I was at a dead stop....not when pressing my brakes, so it's not the abs, I know what that sounds like.

So I put my car on some jacks and turned the wheel.....no sound, quite as could be.

So then I put the car back down.....turn the wheel now there is no sound.

I keep turning and turning and finally it comes back, but is faint sounding. I checked my springs,shocks, bars, etc, couldn't get anything visual. It actually sounds like it's coming from somewhere internally from the steering. And it only happens when I turn the wheel to the left

i think i got the same problem as you except mine only happens when im driving. i never noticed the sound when i was at a stop. i also think its something int he steering. did you start hearing the noise when you lowered your car b/c the noise started a few days after i lower mine. oh and i get the noise when i turn the wheel left and right.

CSI02
11-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic

i think i got the same problem as you except mine only happens when im driving. i never noticed the sound when i was at a stop. i also think its something int he steering. did you start hearing the noise when you lowered your car b/c the noise started a few days after i lower mine. oh and i get the noise when i turn the wheel left and right.

I get a weird rubbing/binding sound only when I take off or coming to a hard stop- all this while wiggling the wheel left to right. Took apart the whole front suspension to relube the top bearing on the strut, still makes noise. I sprayed lube on the tie rod bushings and steering rack bushings, but still makes a binding type sound. Anyone?

02SilverSiHB
11-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic

I just started hearing it on Friday. I've had my car lowered for quite a while. I don't think it has anything to do with my shocks/springs. The sound is coming from that mechanism that holds both steering rods

02SilverSiHB
11-26-2002, 05:27 PM
well for those interested... I fixed the problem.

What caused it, I will never no. Anyway, I jacked the car up, took the wheels off. Of course it doesn't make that knock sound now that I have the car on the jacks. So I know it's got to do witht he springs/shocks...even though it appears to be nothing. So I twist and turn the coils and mess with the them for a while. I decided this was a good time for me to put this plastic coil thing that goes over the coils (progress supplied them to keep from any suspension noise). I did that, put the rims back on, and lowered it.
Drove it around for a while and no problems. none at all.
I can't figure out what the hell I did to fix it...oh well...it's fixed :D

1 fstr si
11-26-2002, 07:39 PM
ok, lets see if anyone else's cars do this. when my car reaces a certain RPM i get a rather quiet rattle. and it goes away after i get through a certain rpm. then when i shut my car off it does the rattle thing and everyone i ask about it says it is just part of the exhaust system settling in and that its prolly just a heat shield. so, lemme know.

02SilverSiHB
11-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 1 fstr si
ok, lets see if anyone else's cars do this. when my car reaces a certain RPM i get a rather quiet rattle. and it goes away after i get through a certain rpm. then when i shut my car off it does the rattle thing and everyone i ask about it says it is just part of the exhaust system settling in and that its prolly just a heat shield. so, lemme know.
I'd have to be there to hear exactly as it sounds.

But from your description, it sounds like a heat sheild. Does it do it sometimes at idle? Try jacking the car up and get under while it's running. Have a friend lightly rev on it, till you hear that rattle, and spot the heat sheild that is doing it.

Or just get under the car when it's cool and shake the heat shields till you find one that rattles

Dunrick
12-13-2002, 09:17 PM
How about this...Sometimes when I'm in 2nd gear and taking a sharp turn, and applying the breaks fairly hard and pushing in the clutch all at the same time....My break pedal physically starts to vibrate as the cars stopping...and makes like a clicking noise...its kind of bothersome, it rarely does this....I think its only done it a couple times.....but damn, wtf is it??? That the abs engaging??? Thanks guys -peace

civic hatch boi
12-14-2002, 01:47 AM
it's ur abs. its normal. dont sweat it.

greenguy
03-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Today, for the second time this month, while traveling at about 65~7-mph I got a loud rubbing/ screeching sound from the front right side of the car. First time it happened I pulled off the freeway and didnt find a thing. Drove off and diidnt here shit until today. This time it happened more than once. Didnt feel any change in the way the car drove at all. Still scared the shit out of me, and my Wife too.
any ideas???

Mugen Power
03-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Just recently, I've been getting a noise from under my hood and I'm pretty sure it's from the pulleys. At first I thought it was a ticking noise but when it came about while I stopped, I popped the hood and heard it coming from the pulleys... Gonna have it checked out this Monday. It's pretty annoying since you can hear it in the cabin and it's gotten pretty frequent over the past 2 days or so. Also, seems like the engine makes a ticking noise... from the valves maybe? Just don't remember any other Hondas having a noise as pronounced as this... Anyway, I'm gonna see what Honda has to say about it.

fASTBACK
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM

well after taking my car for service

my rear drivers side trailing arm needs to be replaced

What was wrong with your trailing arms? I have a klunking noise when I turn on uneven roads or leaving a parking lot on an incline. Doesn't happen all the time but it's bothering. it's coming from the rear passenger.

Did you have problems with your warranty because of your drop?

ZigZag
03-30-2003, 01:07 AM
The only rattle in my EP is from the passenger side visor... damn thing rattles like crazy. Probably from the fact that it is made out of plastic. Anyone have this problem... any way to shut it up? Other than that, everythings fine.

SiNi$t3R
03-30-2003, 11:09 AM
DUde I think The klunk and bumps are not from our shocks but from our springs. When i turned the wheel when i got my springs installed, I heard a bump and klunk at the front. Just use thick grease and it should take care of it.

Type X
03-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by fASTBACK

What was wrong with your trailing arms? I have a klunking noise when I turn on uneven roads or leaving a parking lot on an incline. Doesn't happen all the time but it's bothering. it's coming from the rear passenger.

Did you have problems with your warranty because of your drop?

they were bad
the bushings springs and shock was blown on OEM springs

after they swapped them out
and it was fixed THAN i took it for the drop ;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-30-2003, 06:22 PM
no noises...
and i drive around w/o the radio on all the time (like to hear the sweet sound of my engine)...

guess my car was made on a wednesday.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
no noises...
and i drive around w/o the radio on all the time (like to hear the sweet sound of my engine)...

guess my car was made on a wednesday.

7 months later:
NOISES!
When I turn my wheel I get a creaking sound.
It happens when I'm stopped.
It happens when I'm going in reverse.
And it happens when I'm going slow forward.
But only when i turn the wheel.
It doesnt sound "spring" related.

I would hear a noise from time to time over the past couple months but now it's a regular occurence, happens every time.
I'm going to have to play around with it tomorrow and see what i can come up with.
I doubt my dealership will warranty it cuz i'm lowered, but i'll ask them to check it out at my next oil change if i cant figure it out myself.

ep88
10-03-2003, 10:36 AM
when my car reaches the speed of 110mph -120mph..i hear this whistling sound. i guess it's my front license holder :blushm:

eurosteez
10-03-2003, 11:49 AM
My rear shocks make some thumping and clangin going over dips and bumps. They are stock too!!!!

ep3guy
10-03-2003, 11:52 AM
I get noises all over the place. Recently, I just got the J's damper in, so I can hear more noises now.

cmk05
12-05-2003, 11:27 AM
hey all - haven't been around in a while...

now that cold n snow is upon us (in the NE at least) and some of our cars have been around the block a couple of times, are there any new rattle trends going on?

i recently got a very faint ticking coming from the moonroof assembly. it comes on only when it's cold out and the car's fully warmed up. i can hear it only because my right ear is so close to it.
for the longest time, i thought it was coming from the passenger side rear 1/4 panel area and was poking and banging at it with an umbrella handle while driving. i took the speaker out and secured all the wiring, but it was still there! it wasn't until i had a friend drive her around with me in the back. he was hearing it, but i couldn't! it was then that i realised it was coming from the moonroof.

as you can tell, it was driving me crazy so i decided to gunk lithium grease all over the moonroof. i was pretty confident that'd take care of it, but it's still there! it's the sort of madness poe knew so well.

i remember someone had mentioned a while back that their dealer installed some kind of spacer or washer in the moonroof and it got rid of some rattle. i searched and couldn't find that thread. help.

also, is anyone getting any creaking from the leading edge of the headliner?

i still have 40 payments left to go - it'd be nice to get rid of these and prevent any others.

thanks all

VBSI
12-05-2003, 10:48 PM
I have the knocking at low speed turns, a rattle/knocking noise in my drivers door hinge area that my 92 hatch had as well, shimmy when I corner left, sunroof rattles, knocking in my rear brakes when I back out in the morning, and scratches on my driver's side rear panel near where my seatbelt withdraws after release.

Migs
12-06-2003, 12:23 AM
I get this as well. I believe this is a disturbance of the aerodynamics somewhere on the front end. I always hear this at 120+mph.

Originally posted by greenguy
Today, for the second time this month, while traveling at about 65~7-mph I got a loud rubbing/ screeching sound from the front right side of the car. First time it happened I pulled off the freeway and didnt find a thing. Drove off and diidnt here shit until today. This time it happened more than once. Didnt feel any change in the way the car drove at all. Still scared the shit out of me, and my Wife too.
any ideas???

Originally posted by ep88
when my car reaches the speed of 110mph -120mph..i hear this whistling sound. i guess it's my front license holder :blushm:

blakangel
12-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Soon after I bought my 03 EP I noticed a rattle/clanging when I shut my doors(drivers and passenger). I also heard the noise going over bumps. The noise was coming right from the muffler area. I took a look at my muffler I thought it was loose or broken or something, it was that kind of sound.. I couldn't find it at home so I took it to the dealer and they put it on the rack and it was the heat shield that is above the muffler, they said it was screwed down tight but they did something and the noise hasn't come back.... besides that, nothing else funny sounding yet!

-keith

BluePearl03Si
12-06-2003, 04:31 AM
I have a creaky left door when I accel, decel, turn, whatever involves moving.

I have a rattle comming from the front suspension when I turn left

My Sunroof Rattles

Something is rattling in the hatch.

And the problem is clearly Gremlins.

Check your engine bay....

civic si hb
12-06-2003, 09:44 PM
i have a clunking in the drivers side rearend of my ep3 that started when i changed my rear swaybar to a ctr swaybar.(yes it's installed the right way) i had the endlinks and bushings retightend and life was good for about a month or so. now that the winter is set in the clunking is back when i hit bumps ot take left turns and hit bumps. of coarse honda can't here anything but all my friends and family can. what to do, i was thinking about switching back to my stock swaybar in the spring or getting the smaller rsx sway bar. any other thoughts?

HgSi
12-07-2003, 02:16 AM
I live in New York, so the poor thing makes all kinds of noises. Everything creaks and rattles because of too many potholes.

Si-Sissy-PA
12-07-2003, 01:43 PM
I had the clunk noise coming from the front right wheel area -- whenever I'd snap the steering wheel, and sometimes when parking. It was a leaking shock -- Honda replaced it, now it's all better.

Right now I am trying to get rid of this creak in my left door -- whenever accelerating or braking, it makes a "nrrrrrr" sound -- almost like the metal is stressing.. it's done it almost since I've owned the car, and they haven't been able to isolate it. anyone else have luck?

-M

digitldlnkwnt
12-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by hacim

i get that too. I usually wait a couple seconds after i stop to turn the car off, then it usually wont make that sound

prracer617
12-07-2003, 05:19 PM
i get a creak in the colum of the wheel its sounds like something needs grease if you leave the wheel limp and shift into first and secong you hear a creak only happens on cold or rainy days

digitldlnkwnt
12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by prracer617
i get a creak in the colum of the wheel its sounds like something needs grease if you leave the wheel limp and shift into first and secong you hear a creak only happens on cold or rainy days \

your car has arthritis try IcyHot
im kidding it just sounded like my grandma for a sec:D

prracer617
12-07-2003, 05:53 PM
i took it to the deal for its 20 k check and i told them about it and the dealer looked for it and they treated me like i was making the shit up but im telling you you can hear it!!!!!!!

digitldlnkwnt
12-07-2003, 06:27 PM
dude mechanics always do that when they
a) are too lazy to deal with it
b) dont how to fix it
c) feel stupid that all it needed was some white lithum spray.

maybe find another honda dealer. I have a bunch around me out here in long island. or maybe an independant mechanic in your area who wont rape you.

i feel your pain though i know what its like to have "phantom" ailments in a car.

prracer617
12-07-2003, 10:41 PM
it funny cause its like when im by my self itcomes out everytime i leave the wheel limp and go into firstand second gear all you hear is a creaking vibration from the column area....but when im with people not one niose comes out the car ...sometimes i get this strong smell of gas and i also to the dealer aout that and they said the car was fine ???? i swear either they dont know shit or im going crazy ..

digitldlnkwnt
12-08-2003, 06:45 PM
ive smelled gas too, but i think its from other peoples cars and when you go over it, the smell sticks for a minute then its gone.

alot of older american cars have the fuel filter in the back of the car underneath the trunk by the gas tank.

prracer617
12-10-2003, 10:49 AM
could be but that creaking is til their on wet days

audomatik
12-27-2003, 09:01 PM
so did anyone find a fix for the clunk from the front when turning slow like into/out of parking spots. its really annoying. doesn't happen when taking turns above 20 mph or going straight over bumps, potholes anything... only when turning more then 60 degree turns. i don't get it. my car has roughly 9500 miles and has been lowered since 1200 miles. doesn't seem to be spring/shock related because wouldn't it do it over potholes and large bumps?

prracer617
12-28-2003, 07:06 PM
thats the thing i havnt done anythingto the suspension it feels like its in the steering column? its makes like a creaking noise like something needs oil

Si-Sissy-PA
12-29-2003, 01:04 PM
I can almost guarantee it's a leaking shock.