PDA

View Full Version : Please everyone- do this experiment for me

snubnose
03-23-2004, 03:45 AM
Anyone with an Ep, please do this experiment. When driving, put your radio on a semi-weak am radio station with the HVAC fan on. Tell me if the fan causes interference on the am radio. You can tell if the fan is directly responsible for the interference if, when you turn the fan off, the static, hum, and interference goes away.

If everyone has this problem, I won't take my Si to the dealer to rip the radio out for a diagnosis. Thanks for your help.

snubnose
03-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Was it something I said?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
Was it something I said?

yes, you asked us to put forth some effort. LOL
hold on i'll go check right now.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
just took a quick spin and my car did exactly what you described.
the faster i turned up the vent the louder the interference (buzzing) got.
its not just your car...poor engineering...

snubnose
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Adam, I appreciate that. But I shouldn't have to live with this, should I? Can anything be done?

Si3
03-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks Adam, I appreciate that. But I shouldn't have to live with this, should I? Can anything be done?

yeah, stop listening to AM... are you 65?!?!

:D ;)

-aj-

i-vtec04si
03-23-2004, 03:31 PM
yea quit listining to am radio hahahhaha;)

snubnose
03-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Si3
yeah, stop listening to AM... are you 65?!?!

:D ;)

-aj-

Look you young whippersnappers, Lawrence Welk made some great music.

Peking
03-23-2004, 03:37 PM

LOL, or are you listening about sports?

snubnose
03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Peking
LOL, or are you listening about sports?

I like talk shows sometimes for variety.

Tnhatch03
03-23-2004, 04:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by snubnose

LOL, who?

513n179
03-23-2004, 04:49 PM
i've noticed some interference when listening to games on the radio. i mainly use the cd player... but my new cell interferes, and causes annoying noises all the time.

phatfreeza
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
i dont' really listen to am, but sometimes my cell phone disrupts my cd player... kinda weird if you ask me...

Vertigo
03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
My cell phone interferes in the car and also in the house.

SilverEpInDc
03-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
My cell phone interferes in the car and also in the house.

My nextel messes my radio up!

VividDreams
03-24-2004, 12:55 AM
im not claiming that im a radio expert, but, i believe that the reason that happens is because AM radio(Amplitude Modulated) was always subject to easily being interfered. that was probably why FM(Frequency Modulated) was created. Modulating the frequency, as opposed to the Amplitude, is probably a more stable radio wave, thus is less suseptible to interference

SiR Medic
03-24-2004, 09:58 AM
What the fuck is AM radio?:confused:

'Round here, you get nothing but CBC news and country music on the AM stations... Hell, even our FM sucks. (best you can hope for is "Classic Rock")

Thank God for my Alpine CD/MP3/WMA player!

oogy-boogy
03-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Jeez....Aren't there any sports fans out there? i'd have a fit if I couldn't listen to the Celtics on good 'ole AM....:D

VividDreams
03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Hell, even our FM sucks. (best you can hope for is "Classic Rock")

and what is wrong with classic rock?

l33t
03-24-2004, 08:24 PM
heh cell phones mess up all speakers

Jay H
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
I used my AM section on my stock system tonight (for the first time to try this out) on the way home from work. I have no interference. I do not have any cell phone in the car either.

quincy04si
03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Jeez....Aren't there any sports fans out there? i'd have a fit if I couldn't listen to the Celtics on good 'ole AM....:D

I'd listen to the Celtics too, but It really doesn't seem worth the effort this year :'(

Soon enough I'll be testing the AM when the Sox start playing.

civic si hb
03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
my car does it during listening to FM also. if i have the heater on and then the fan kicks in and my radio station is 100% clean, i get a high pitch humming sound threw my speakers. once the fan kicks off.... no more humming sound. wierd......

foilpan
03-24-2004, 11:00 PM
you can probably get something to reduce the hum and interference. stop by a radio shack or some electronics parts store to see if they have something to help isolate and/or reduce the interference. also, AM antennas are very directional. most car radios have a little rod antenna inside the unit. this is very close to all the other electrical stuff in the dash, not to mention the A/C fan motors. ideally, if you could move the internal antenna away from the source of interference, you'd probably be fine. you might look into getting a better head unit or a separate AM antenna if it's really important to you.

Jay H
03-25-2004, 07:22 AM
I would think (and we should expect) that the factory stereo system should be noise free. Honda engineers should have that right. If not, the dealer (Honda) should be correcting that for you.

If your aftermarket system is causing noise, there are a lot of other things you can do to eliminate hum and improve AM reception. Move your ground to a different location. Ground the amps and head unit at one place. Change to different brand RCA patch cables (not all of the really expensive cables are always the best). Inspect RCA patch cables for any breaks or cuts and replace if they are. Try moving all power wires away from signal (RCA) cables.

I agree with Foilpan that there are also various in-line noise filters that can be tried as well.

oogy-boogy
03-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by quincy04si
I'd listen to the Celtics too, but It really doesn't seem worth the effort this year :'(

Soon enough I'll be testing the AM when the Sox start playing.

Have faith...:D

snubnose
03-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by foilpan
you can probably get something to reduce the hum and interference. stop by a radio shack or some electronics parts store to see if they have something to help isolate and/or reduce the interference. also, AM antennas are very directional. most car radios have a little rod antenna inside the unit. this is very close to all the other electrical stuff in the dash, not to mention the A/C fan motors. ideally, if you could move the internal antenna away from the source of interference, you'd probably be fine. you might look into getting a better head unit or a separate AM antenna if it's really important to you.

The Honda dealer I'm taking my car to has an outside guy that works on radios. I'm going to ask him to put a capacitor between the feed terminal and the earth. That should eliminate the interference.

i just hope they don't drive my car for the lunch break or anything.