PDA

View Full Version : I need new brake pads...any advice on brands?

Siman
03-23-2004, 10:11 AM
as stated.....

I need new pads...does anyone know of a company that make really grippy pads? I Dont really know about the life span of the pads that i want but ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

thanks;)

02civicSI
03-23-2004, 10:34 AM
i have the Hawk HPS brake pads. little over a $100 from tirerack.

Burgh
03-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I think the stock brakes are actually pretty decent. If you're going aftermarket, be careful that you don't get a really high performance pad that needs heat to reach ultimate grip. Not a good idea for the street. I've heard good things about the Hawks and also the Axxis Ultimates.

SiR_YO
03-23-2004, 01:59 PM
what's your budget? what are you looking for?

Metal? ceramic? carbon?

glw
03-23-2004, 06:07 PM
listen to burgh... he knows of what he speaks!

my axxis ultimates work great!

02SilverSiHB
03-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
i have the Hawk HPS brake pads. little over a $100 from tirerack.
ditto

Low Rider
03-24-2004, 04:27 AM
I am also running Hawks... they are solid. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend stainless steel brake lines (I use Mugen but, there are others) and replace your brake fluid with Motul 600. You won't be disappointed!!! :D

Siman
03-24-2004, 08:52 AM
What is the lifespan on the Hawk HPS ( or any other HIGH ) performance brakepad? I am VERY hard on my brakes.....a hit backroads EVERY DAY, it calms me down and relieves stresses of the day hehheheh.

Earls makes nice stainless braided lines too...cheaper as well!

i am going to go search on tire rack!;)

PS: How many miles do you guys have on your new Pads?

FCobra94
03-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Sorry to thread jack but how bad do the Hawk HPS and Axxis Ultimates dust for you guys? My stockers make a considerable amount of dust, which I was hoping would change after swapping them out for one of these other pads.

I swapped to the HPS's in the Mustang and dusting went away completely! I was hoping it would be the same w/ the pads they make for our EP.

Anyone try both? Which did you feel were better?

Thanks for the help!

Low Rider
03-24-2004, 09:24 AM
I am using the HP plus... I would say that the stock pads kicked up more dust - strange but true. Overall, they are not bad. The harder I drive, the more the brake dust - that's fairly typical I guess. ;)

I am seriously considering trying ceramic discs for the front... at the end of the day, I need more stopping power than I'm currently getting.

As far as longevity, I have worn a set of top quality pads down to the calipers in an afternoon so it really depends on how hard you're driving. (one of the other replies asked about life-span). :D

Burgh
03-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by glw

I knew you had either the Hawks or the Axxis. By the way man, how's the wear on those things? You runnin' through them pretty fast or are they going to last you at least 20K or so? When I did my 30K mile check, I still had 40% remaining on my front pads. Pretty darn good longevity considering how heavy the car is and how hard we are on them when we autocross.

Siman - if you search on the Honda-Tech roadracing/autocross forum, there was a post a while ago that had a chart that listed a bunch of brake pads and their max grip and fade critical temperatures. Good info.

HondaMan
03-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by glw
listen to burgh... he knows of what he speaks!

Ditto! Axxis Ultimates are what I have.

02SilverSiHB
03-24-2004, 03:08 PM
my hawk hps's are doing great. The dust isn't anymore than stock imo. They should last as long if not longer than the stock ones.

Siman
03-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I havent decided yet.....

but i am leaning twords hawk or the EBC red stuff pads with powerslot rotors slotted type...I dont trust dimpled ones, they crack....

thats about it right know, i gotta go save up!:rolleyes:

HondaMan
03-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
my hawk hps's are doing great. The dust isn't anymore than stock imo. They should last as long if not longer than the stock ones.

Wear life is the same with the Axxis Ultimates IMO, but they have about 50% more brake dust over stock.

!@#$%
03-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Chunky is using a set of pads that he swears by, but I can't remember the name of them. They are in his signature. :confused:

HondaMan
03-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%
Chunky is using a set of pads that he swears by, but I can't remember the name of them. They are in his signature. :confused:

LOL, he swears by a lot of things. hehe ;)

He is braking on Cobalt friction GT sport front brake pads & Porterfield r4s rear brake pads.

chunky
03-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Siman

but i am leaning twords hawk or the EBC red stuff pads with powerslot rotors slotted type...I dont trust dimpled ones, they crack....

well, glad I saw this thread. . .I love brakes and i've had a bit of experience with them in my now 75,000 mile ep3 ;)

anyhow, for your purposes, I would reccomend the porterfield pads. Those are my favorite street pad as of right now. Carbon kevlar is really easy on rotors, high fade threshold, not much noise, but they do give off a dark colored dust - but any brake pad with a high carbon content will do that.

I currently have the cobalt friction gt-sport pads all around which aren't bad, I'm hesitant to post a full review b/c I'm still working out some other issues with my brakes that limit max performance.

If you're really really agressive, and drive really fast a lot, the porterfield r4 can also be used on the street. They are a full race pad, but they have the same cold temp performance as the r4s pads, but have a higher fade threshold, higher friction levels, more dust & more noise, and don't last as long.

I will say that my favorite pad bar none is the performance friction 01 compound pad. they are the shizznit. a full race pad again, they eat rotors like no other, they are expensive, give off a really nasty dust, but i could trip abs at 80mph with 225/50/15 tires on the ep3. . . . I never experienced fade with them. But i can't say i'd reccomend them for street.

so in conclusion, i'd suggest the porterfield r4s all around to start with. they have decent pad life, perform very well, and are not that expensive. Not to mention they have pretty good customer service (they'll ship stuff out the day you order usually). www.porterfield-brakes.com I talk to tim usually.

FCobra94
03-26-2004, 02:41 AM
chunky: Don't mean to change the subject too much, but did you notice any difference while running cryo treated rotors? I was just reading about them the other night and was wondering if they would be worth it.

If you would recommend them, where's a good place to get something like that?

Thanks!

chunky
03-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by FCobra94
chunky: Don't mean to change the subject too much, but did you notice any difference while running cryo treated rotors? I was just reading about them the other night and was wondering if they would be worth it.

If you would recommend them, where's a good place to get something like that?

Thanks!

well, the main benefit to cryo treating rotors is longer rotor life & greater resistance to cracking. If you're getting reasonable rotor life, then you probably don't need to cryo treat. I destroyed my rotors to the point where a piece of it broke off. So I paid to have them cryo treated at a local shop.

So far it seems to be okay, I haven't had them long enough to see if they've really helped as far as rotor life goes. But if what i read is true, these rotors will last twice as long as non cryo treated rotors.

k2ep3
03-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Siman

i have EBC red stuff. a lot of dust, but stopping power is so goooooood:D
i haven't used other brand, but my friend was saying EBC stop better. I am not sure though...