PDA

View Full Version : Hondata K-Pro Seminar Notes- TONS of info!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Found this on another board and figured it might be of interest to alot of you. Enjoy.
Here's the cut/paste:

Hondata K-Pro Seminar

March 13, 2004, Torrance, CA

Notes by Conrad H. Blickenstorfer (cb@pencomputing.com)

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, Hondata (http://www.hondata.com) held a tuning seminar at the Torrance Hilton in Los Angeles. This was a free one day seminar meant primarily for existing and prospective Hondata dealers, but also open to enthusiasts and others as long as space permitted. Almost 40 people were present in the morning, fewer in the afternoon.

The seminar covered general Honda tuning concepts and the use of the Hondata s200 system in the morning, and an introduction to the new Hondata K-Pro system in the afternoon. The seminar was presented by Doug MacMillan who, together with his partner Derek Stevens, owns Hondata. Doug was assisted throughout the presentation by Matt of the Hondata staff.

Both MacMillan (shown preparing his presentation on the right) and Stevens are New Zealanders who relocated to the United States about four years ago to start Hondata. MacMillan has racing experience and still holds the New Zealand land speed record in a 1.6 liter class that he set with a B16 CRX. Now having small children, MacMillan has pretty much given up racing and is concentrating on the tuning of Honda ECUs. His partner Stevens holds a degree in commerce and is the primary author of the Hondata ECU software. Matt is a tech support person who moved from Arizona and has substantial tuning knowledge, both hands on and with the Hondata software. Never having seen MacMillan (Hondata

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Economy and emissions

- Add more ignition advance in part throttle

- Hint: add 5 degree timing around 1200-3500

- Don

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
VTEC = Variable Timing Electronic Control

- That

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Effects of various mods:

A stock K20A2 engine makes between 160 and 175 wheel hp. That is quite a big difference in a modern precision engine and it could be because of different sensitivity in knock sensor. Doug went on to show dyno sheets of a variety of mods they added to a stock motor.

A Hondata reflash added almost 20 hp on top (seems a lot to me; I always thought the primary benefit is mid range power and peak gains are less), an AEM CAI another 10 to about 190. A Greddy catback exhaust added a bit and ITR cams another 15 hp. Raceheaders from Comptech added an impressive 15 up to almost 230. A ITR manifold boosted the high-end a bit. Titanium exhaust and pulleys added a few hp but not much. Finally they installed a ported big valve head with Toda cams, for a result of almost 250 all-motor whp. Hytech exhaust, 12:1 pistons, cams and intake raised that figure up to 270.

Another project (Hasport/Jackson Racing Civic Type R) replaced the K20A2 bottom with a K24 CRV bottom. This brought 40 pounds extra torque, but power dropped off quicker at the high end. Initial peak power was 210 whp. They added an 8psi JRSC and got torque of over 230 foot-pounds and over 290 whp.

Doug also showed a terrific in-car-cam video of Derek Stevens racing a RSX at California Speedway.

Who uses Hondata?

In addition to all of us enthusiasts that would be the likes of the Honda America Race Team (HART), Erick

FCobra94
03-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Wow! VERY good read. I learned a good amount of info from that.

Do you know of any websites that have a schedule for their other seminars?

Thanks!

ATRIOT
03-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Sticky please. Great info.

02civicSI
03-23-2004, 11:33 PM
good stuff!

Vertigo
03-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the great info Adam! It seems the rabbit hole goes pretty deep when tuning the K-Pro.

03EP3Si
03-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Good Stuff! I just printed this whole thing out. good reading material! UNO!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
03-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Thanks for the great info Adam! It seems the rabbit hole goes pretty deep when tuning the K-Pro.

Don't thank ME, thank that Conrad dude! LOL
Yea, I'm DEFINITELY getting K-PRO once I go turbo.
And I think this would make a great sticky if people actually take the time to read through it all.
There is definitely alot of useful info in there, not even relating to just Hondata.

03EP3Si
03-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I wonder how much power this K-Pro can crank out of our NA motors....hmmmmmmmm

!@#$%
03-24-2004, 12:09 PM
great read 5stars from me.

fsugatorbait
03-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Killer info, we need this stickied.

Btrthnezr3
03-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Wow, what a great read. That's some good info!!
Makes me think twice about getting Hondata. I keep going back and forth, but I think I see it in my future, even if it is with an Icebox (I don't wanna deal with typical cai stuff)

Si3
03-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Great read, i just learned a lot.

any chance of making all newbies read this along with other stickies (hint hint, make this sticky!) before their first post!

-aj

myeverlovinsir
03-25-2004, 05:05 PM
web page link...almost as good as being there, am still waiting on a vid they are proposing to put up.

Notes by Conrad (http://pencomputing.com/rsx/HondataSeminar.html) :D