PDA

View Full Version : stock bumbper lenses + touch up paint = good idea?

phatfreeza
03-24-2004, 11:56 AM
hey peeps, so my bodyshop gave me a bottle of touchup paint and i'm bored so i thought, hey, my stock bumper lenses are kinda buggin' me... i wonder what it'll look like if i used the touch up paint on it... what do you guys think? i've never worked with touch up paint before so tell me if this is a go , or a no go :)

oogy-boogy
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
You can try it. I've seen it done on a white EP before and it didn't look half bad.

The only tips I'd throw out IMO would be:
- Sand the headlights with some 600 grit to give the paint something to adhere to.
- Do thin coats.
- Wetsand in between with some 1000 grit.

:)

phatfreeza
03-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
You can try it. I've seen it done on a white EP before and it didn't look half bad.

The only tips I'd throw out IMO would be:
- Sand the headlights with some 600 grit to give the paint something to adhere to.
- Do thin coats.
- Wetsand in between with some 1000 grit.

:)

you mention headlights... did you mean bumper lenses instead? thanks for the reply tho :cool:

oogy-boogy
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
you mention headlights... did you mean bumper lenses instead? thanks for the reply tho :cool:

Hehehe :o

My bad...I meant bumper lenses. :D

phatfreeza
03-24-2004, 02:05 PM
oh btw oogy... what do you mean by wetsand? (sorry, i've never done sanding before)

also, would this work better with the stock orange lenses or with some clear ones i ordered? i have a black car.

oogy-boogy
03-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
oh btw oogy... what do you mean by wetsand? (sorry, i've never done sanding before)

also, would this work better with the stock orange lenses or with some clear ones i ordered? i have a black car.

Either would be fine. What you should do is wet sand them first to get rid of all the letters to make them as smooth as possible.

Wetsanding: Basically, soak the sandpaper in water and a tiny bit of dish soap (helps to lube). Sand under some water or over a bowl. Basically, you want to keep it wet.

chubbychu
03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
BWAHAHAHAH

i just did this!

let me tell you, it didnt go well. the reason is, my touch up paint came with a brush applicator. brush= chunky/uneven strokes.

what i did was, i sanded it down to get all those letters of and make it all smooth.

now, the first time, i used the touch up paint. and i guess it went well, i ended up sanding it like 20 times, but it was just not what i wanted.

so i bought some more lenses, i sanded them, and just spray painted than sanded and painted and clear coated.

perfect ill show you pictures in a little bit. =o)