PDA

View Full Version : Mugen coilovers + RSX sway = good first mod?

BarracksSi
03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
It's tax refund season, and I've been seriously thinking....

I see so many people talk about using aftermarket springs on OEM shocks, and they usually get new shocks later (because the stockies always seem to get blown). People who get good coilovers seem to hang onto them, which makes me think that it's a better do-it-once-and-that's-it choice.

I'm not sure if I'd want to deal with adjustable coilovers, either, whether it's because I'm lazy, or I'm afraid of screwing things up, or if it would be overkill for a daily driver.

I'd also think that a new rear sway bar would complete the coilover upgrade. Maybe an RSX base, or Type-S, or Progress, etc etc.

So, generally, it seems that:
1) Mugen stuff doesn't suck, and
2) an OEM Acura sway bar would be a great fit at a reasonable price.

Thoughts?

tcostello3
03-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Don't know about the coilovers I just did Neuspeed Sports. But I also just added Hotchkis Tunings Street Sway Bar kit for the RSX, front & rear 1" hollow with slight adjustability. These bars rock! I'm running on the tightest setting and getting slight oversteer with high speed tight corners. I'm supposedly the first person to install these bars as Hotchkis said "they should fit" and shipped them 2 me last week. Install went great but I would suggest new endlinks. Mine are on the way.

Anyways the car is handling great, my lap times are the best they've ever been. Oversteer in a FWD Honda, I mean damn, that's tight.

madbrain
03-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm supposedly the first person to install these bars as Hotchkis said "they should fit" and shipped them 2 me last week. Install went great but I would suggest new endlinks. Mine are on the way.

Not the first..Ive had the Hotchkis race sways for over a year.

And to answer your question the Mugens are a good choice. I would recommend investing in a good set of tires before the sway bars. Its no use tightening up your suspension if your tires have no grip.

97 TYPE-R 312
03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Mugen suspension with the 19mm RSX sway bar would be good. I finally completed my 5 lug conversion and am running the setup (mugen suspension, RSX 19mm sway bar) you are asking about. Let me know if you would like to test out my setup, since we are local.

-Victor

bobdobbs
03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
1) Mugen stuff doesn't suck
Yeah, that's true but for similar money, you get more with Tein SS coilovers: Height and damper adjustability, less weight, the option of custom spring rates. There's a little more to installing them than the Mugen struts (Mugens are not coilovers) but that's the trade-off for flexibility.

BarracksSi
03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Victor, that would be great. At the moment, I think this weekend is pretty open for me, but looking much beyond, it's hard to tell sometimes.

Dobbs, I stand corrected about the coilover vs. struts definitions. I was kinda lumping them into the category of "complete shock & spring thing".

I'm not concerned with adjustability -- I don't think that I'm a good enough driver to know how to decide what changes to make. I'll give myself several years of track time before I start worrying about that aspect.

Tires aren't that far away, either, considering how they're wearing.

97 TYPE-R 312
03-24-2004, 09:41 PM
You have PM.

bobdobbs
03-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
I'm not concerned with adjustability
You can't go wrong with either. The Mugen is a nice setup for the money. It's easy to go back to stock if you ever decide to sell the car, too.

BunnyBunBun
03-24-2004, 10:57 PM
What about buddy club's suspension? How come no boddy like the buddy club racing spec damper?:'( :( ;)

tcostello3
03-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by madbrain
Not the first..Ive had the Hotchkis race sways for over a year.

How are the Race Bars? i'm thinking of putting them on my EX. I put the Street Bars on the Si.

97 TYPE-R 312
03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BunnyBunBun
What about buddy club's suspension? How come no boddy like the buddy club racing spec damper?:'( :( ;)

I don't think many people here race their EP. Buddy Club is great though.

-Victor

BarracksSi
03-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks again, Victor, for the ride. That shit's nice -- not much bouncier than stock, but a lot more controlled. I'm thinking that I'd want to go with the sway bar, too, but not sure which I'd prefer.

I'm impressed. Would've been fun at FedEx field, too.

Civicvtec1ps
03-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Just get Good tire size to fill up the gap.
I saw ep with mugen suspension yesterday, but Car was sitting pretty high.
Mugen Suspension+Mugen sway bar.
http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v70/xsists/Madtown_Meet_3-27-04/DSC01518.jpg

BarracksSi
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
It's higher than with some springs, but still not as high as stock. I fit 4 fingers under my front fender, but about 2-1/2 fingers (index, middle & ring, that is) under Victor's with the Mugen setup.

I'm not going for a slammed look, though. It's cool, it's great for show and all, but it just draws the wrong kind of attention sometimes. Plus, if I can get tighter handling without having it so low, then that's the way I'd go.

Hell, I'm even debating over what to do for rims, since I have trouble trusting the car to stay safe while it's unattended.

97 TYPE-R 312
03-28-2004, 10:09 PM
It was nice to meet you too. Glad you liked my setup. I'll hang on to the TYPE-S rear sway bar if you're interested too.

-Victor

BarracksSi
03-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Now, if Rota will still make C8's next year... lol

vivid blue Si
04-14-2004, 08:51 PM
off topic a bit but can I put a rear lower tie bar later with the rsx rear sway? and do they even make a rear lower tie bar for our EP3s?

97 TYPE-R 312
04-14-2004, 10:28 PM
You shouldn't have a problem with the slightly larger sway bar.

-Victor