PDA

View Full Version : Another mugen suspension review

trabadoo22
03-24-2004, 11:52 PM
I know there are a lot of people on here with the same set up, but I would like to share what I think of this suspension. Plus I can't seem to find the review section anymore.

Ok, the install seemed super easy. I had my friend do it since he is a mechanic and I don't know anything about cars. The suspension and camber kit took about 2 hours to install with only one person doing the work. After seeing him install it I'm pretty sure even I could do it. So as long as you have the tools and don't want to pay to get it installed I say do it yourself.

This is my first suspension mod to any car that I've owned and to be honest I was a little worried about having a stiff crappy ride. Once I drove off I knew that some people writing reviews about this suspension may have been exaggerating a little bit about the stiffness. To be honest I wouldn't mind higher spring rates.

This suspension is perfect for daily driving. To me the ride is very similar to the stock suspension. If I didn't know it was installed and drove off I probably wouldn't have noticed any difference in ride comfort. Body roll is a little less noticeable, although I still have my 14" winter tires on so it should be even better when I put my rims on. The car is definitely easier to turn now; the steering wheel moves easier now. It seems that the bump steer is dramatically reduced and I feel much more confident going over deviations in the road at higher speeds. With the stock suspension it felt like the shocks were too slow when rebounding and that seems to be improved as well.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a suspension that will improve the ride and handling, be drivable daily, don't care about ride height adjustability and only plan on racing on occasion then this fits the bill. If you plan to seriously race or want height adjustability then I would look elsewhere.

Hatch, Si Hatch
03-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Great review! I love mine as well.

SONIC SI
03-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Yep probably one of the best suspension setups I have ever had. I can't wait to see how it handles once I get my front and rear sways along with front and rear lower tie bars.

Whiteboy
03-25-2004, 08:04 AM
The best feeling after having mine put on was simply stopping. The car didn't lean forward anymore!

03EP3Si
03-25-2004, 09:24 AM
I just posted some pics of my car with the suspension on. they arent the best pics but itll give you and idea of how the car looks with them on. check out my post. "Just got in my mugen sport suspension" should be towards the top of the suspension forums.

Btrthnezr3
03-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Great write-up. As soon as I saw Whiteboy's car at the meet, I fell in love with the Mugen suspension...next time he needs to give me a ride.
Here's a pic of his car...
Hope you don't mind...

http://www.digitalgumball.com/gallery/albums/album10/IM001077.jpg

johnkimble
03-25-2004, 10:04 AM
mmmmmmm.... :D

03EP3Si
03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
looks very Toit! Yesh! Toit like a Toiger!!

03EP3Si
03-25-2004, 10:49 AM
You should also notice youll be able to launch the car alot better. the car will actually grab now instead of just spin when trying to launch. better quarter mile times!! wooo hooo!!!! :D

pLopSI
03-25-2004, 05:34 PM
awesome write-up. i'm lookin forward to upgrading to either the mugens or the basics, possibly other companies. But so far, there has yet to be anyone who has complained about the mugens, only ppl complaining about how it isn't height-adjustable considering the price.

trabadoo22
03-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I just can't wait to get my 16's back on, these 14" winter tires are sloppy as hell. I'de also like to tighten up the chasis, although I'm new to suspension modding so I don't know what to do.

97 TYPE-R 312
03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Good review! I love mine as well. Next time if someone wanted a little stiffer with Mugen, they could try the RSX setup as it's stiffer by a little, but only in the rear though.

-Victor

heihei0330
03-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry to invade your post, but is there anyone running with mugen suspenson with 215/40/17 combo???? Post a pic if possible.

Thx
Terence

johnkimble
03-27-2004, 05:17 PM
well since there are tons of mugen suspension reviews i figured i'de just post my pictures in the newest one ;) hope that's ok... i like them a lot, now i need an alignment. don't think i'll be getting a camber kit. anyway, some quick pictures as of now... didn't want to show off too much as i have some other stuff i'de like to put on before i "floss" too much, but here it is:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzI5MjU2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzI5MjU1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMzI5MjU0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D