PDA

View Full Version : The left-dash steering wheel/tweeter/cupholder area rattle

chubbychu
03-25-2004, 11:30 PM
has anyone found it?

ive been through the search function about a hundred times, and it seems like nobody knows.

care to share?

ive narrowed it down to somewhere in the dash. because i took apart my door and duct taped EVERYHING down. and i just cant find it. help please!

goy091
03-26-2004, 12:57 AM
damn you know i have the same rattle. i think it has to do with the door and tweeter, because mine only rattles when i play my music loudly. i haven't taken apart the door yet, but thats where im guessing it is. might be the plastic clips that hold the door panel to the door?

chubbychu
03-26-2004, 01:34 AM
see thats the problem, nobody knows.

ive heard people say its the "steering box" or something...others say, its the rack..whatever that is, others says its the vin plate rattling. others say its the tweeter, or cup holder. or just wires moving about. i need to find some bumpy land and drive over it.

people!!! we need some results! please help

Low Rider
03-26-2004, 04:40 AM
This is priceless... My dash was literally coming apart at high rpms! I took it back to Honda and had them rip the entire dash apart and fasten everything down from scratch! They said they found a dozen or so bits and pieces that were loose. I must say, it is waaaayyyy better but, I STILL have a minor rattle in that small speaker by the side view mirror. :confused:

batboy02si
03-28-2004, 12:18 PM
mine sounds like its either in the center console or near the glove box ( yes the glove box is empty), and it sometimes happens when i'm turning or going straight. drives me crazy not being able to fix it.

BlasTech
03-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Last summer, my center dash (above the radio/AC console) started to rattle quite a bit... and I'm kinda sensitive to this kind of thing... so I took out the console, and used a long flathead screwdriver to cram a couple square feet of foam rubber up into the space between the ac vents and the dash above them... rattle fixed.

This winter, my cup holder started to rattle... but it stops if I apply pressure to the area, so I'm busting out the foam-rubber again :D

chubbychu
03-28-2004, 01:26 PM
blastech i remeber you having a Sh*t load of rattles. is that all you did?

BlasTech
03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
I did have a significant creak in the right side B-pillar when I would either start going or stop, and I went to the dealership many times to trying to figure it out...

When I decided to get suspension, I took the leap of faith, and it went away...and I could just as easily attribute it to cornerweighting.

At least some things work, eh?

chubbychu
03-28-2004, 10:47 PM
so yeah...that little ticking wont show up until i drive over semi bumpy land.

I dont know what to do anymore. I think we should have a rattle fixing meet.

BlasTech
03-29-2004, 08:18 AM
Good news (maybe)

I popped off the side dash panel that is hidden inside the door jamb when the door is shut, and I stuffed 2 peices of foam rubber into the holes it reveals. In all, I used a 4"x4" and a 4"x6" in each of the two major holes. So far, the noise is gone, but I'll know for sure tonight, when I do my rush hour commute home over the "incredible vibrating road".

IIx 03 EP xII
03-29-2004, 08:50 AM
i have the same issue!! also the glovebox squeaks, but only when it is cold?!

hamproof
04-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Anyone found this source of rattle yet? I've been looking for a fix for 1.5 years now ever since I bought the car. Each year the rattle returns and get worse and worse after the cold months.

I don't think stuffing foam into the 2 little holes in the IP bracket helps. I tried it before and it didn't work.

It is definitely not the cup holders nor tweeter. Not anything inside the door. I thought it might be the driver side fender lining coz' mine was missing the 2 push pin that holds it in place and worse, the lining was installed improperly.

I could be driving on the same road and at times there's no rattle. But now, it is more often than not the rattle is there.

Anyone knows if there's a temperature sensor in the HVAC ducts?? Someone told me there's a tempt. sensor in the duct and as the air warms up, the seals around the tempt sensor dries and cracks. Over time, it doesn't seal well anymore and rubs against the duct. Anyone knows??

SONIC SI
04-11-2004, 08:10 PM
I have a rattle on the passenger side. I need to find out what it is. Any ideas what it could be?

chubbychu
04-11-2004, 08:53 PM
i guess were screwed. were never gonna find it.

hamproof
04-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Someone please find the source of rattle. Or if you have the time, take it to the dealership and have them diagonose it. Hopefully you'll have better luck at your dealership than mine.

BarracksSi
04-20-2004, 08:06 PM
From what everyone's said so far, there are very few rattles that are the same from car-to-car, so asking another person to find the same rattle as your own probably won't work.

The loudest noise in my car comes from the Hotwheels EP rolling & sliding around the small shelf on the passenger side of the dash. Haven't had any other notable rattles yet.

dchu
04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I get that ticking around the cupholder/vent area too. It only shows up when it's cold or if i run the A/C on cold. One of these days I'm gonna rip that part of the dash up...

chubbychu
04-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

The loudest noise in my car comes from the Hotwheels EP rolling & sliding around the small shelf on the passenger side of the dash. Haven't had any other notable rattles yet.

i hate you

BarracksSi
04-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
i hate you

;)

HgSi
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Haha.... You guys are weenies. You don't live in New York, so you don't know what it means for a car to rattle. My car sounds like a can of ball bearings.

hamproof
04-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, we definitely need to get a fix on that rattle. I've 6000 miles left on the warranty.

BlasTech
04-21-2004, 08:24 PM
I have been able to fix all my noises with foam. Keep trying.

Removing the coin-holder give you access to lots of spots

The three screws that hold the bottom cover on the steering column will reveal a plate of metal that is just sitting there on the bottom of it... that needs to be silenced.

There are tutorials on removing the door sills somewhere, and even the headliner.

So take a panel off, go for a drive, repeat until you find it.. then tape it or stuff it or whatever.

I wish you guys could bring your cars to me... I wanna fix them for you!